PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TURKEY caught on film!!!!!!

mgnm300
04-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I have to say after 4-5 weekends of scouting plus going to the seminar in keromeos my luck has finally paid off!! Today was one of my most exciting days of my life. i went driving around Rock Creek area scouting and was using the crow call every 1/4 mile down this one rd.
my very first sighting was a hen crossing the rd in front of me. i managed to get a few pics before it dissappeared. i was curious as to why it was by itself but figured if there's one there should be more.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC5042029.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18731&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

I drove another 1/4 mile and blew on the crow call when i heard a faint strange sound. i blew again and right away recognized it to be a gobble!!!!
holy crap!! a response. well i thought out of amusement i thought i would try calling and see what happens.
he was a long ways away at first so i figured on trying the box call first, i couldn't believe it when he was responding. after a few calls back and forth it got quiet so i figured i'd use my gobbler call as well.
i couldn't believe it but it seemed he was racing in! once i figured he was getting close i switched to the slate call, my blood starting pumping fast as well. he musta bin running cause within 10 mins out pops a bright red head just gobbling up a storm!!
i was shaking so bad that i had a tough time getting pictures but out of around 30 pics i managed a couple
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC5080067.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18734&size=big&cat=501&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC5076063.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18733&size=big&cat=501&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC5058045.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18735&size=big&cat=501&limit=recent)

i apologize they are not the best but i was totally unprepared for this encounter. i wasn't even in camo since i was not expecting this adrenaline rush to start the pre-turkey season.
i have to give HUNTWRITER a big thank you for the seminar since his knowledge help me in bringing in this tom!!!!

mgnm300
04-10-2010, 09:57 PM
by the way i forgot to mention this was my very first attempt at trying to call a turkey in and i even managed to video tape the whole episode, i was shocked to even have the tom come into the screen with me in the foreground.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
awesome !!!!!!

It is a rush to talk to turkeys

I personally think its more addictive than Elk

huntwriter
04-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Great pictures and story. Looks like you got a fully mature tom on film there from what I can see. I hope you get him. Heading out that way myself this coming week.

cainer
04-10-2010, 11:08 PM
That's great 300, I've always had the urge to go and hunt my own turkey-never got around to it-yet!! Keep up the good work, sounds like it might pay off this year.

kennyj
04-11-2010, 07:39 AM
That sure sounds exciting. I'd love to try that some day.
kenny

afors
04-11-2010, 08:00 AM
That's really cool, What a rush!
I and my brother have talked about going for turkeys but need to do more research first.
Thanks for sharing, wets the appetite for sure.

MuleyStalker
04-11-2010, 09:12 AM
That's a great story! Similar thing happened to me two years. Turkey hunting can be fun and addictive. I can't wait to get out!

d6dan
04-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Now those are good pictures!. My brother always tells me how hard it is to sneak up in a wild turkey with a shotgun, never mind with a camera!.. Go nail'em on the 15th:-D.

BlacktailStalker
04-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Nice pictures, I really want to try for turkey some time.
Hope you connect on one :cool:

SHAKER
04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Can't wait till next week........ Didn't know you were at the seminar. I would have introduced myself.

mark
04-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I always tell people, (next to elk), turkey is the second most exciting critter to hunt!
unfortunately you've given that tom an education, and he will not come so easy come opening day! So you might have to shoot one of his buddies! :-D

phoenix
04-11-2010, 10:49 AM
What time of day was it? I forgot to ask Othmar at the Kelowna seminar if locator calls work all day or just in the morning.
Kim

huntwriter
04-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Now those are good pictures!. My brother always tells me how hard it is to sneak up in a wild turkey with a shotgun, never mind with a camera!.. Go nail'em on the 15th:-D.

NEVER EVER try to sneak up on a turkey with a shotgun or camera during hunting season. You can get yourself shot. According the American Recreational Accident Statistics sneaking up on a turkey is the number one cause why hunters get shot at during turkey hunting season.

unfortunately you've given that tom an education, and he will not come so easy come opening day! So you might have to shoot one of his buddies! :-D

You got that right and I made a point in my seminar NEVER to use a turkey call to locate a tom or calling turkeys before the hunting season or during hunting season before you're set up and ready to hunt. Each time you call a turkey and he comes in to nothing he gets smarter. Turkeys learn very fast, their very survival depends on it.

What time of day was it? I forgot to ask Othmar at the Kelowna seminar if locator calls work all day or just in the morning.
Kim

Locator calls work all day long from dawn to dusk. But remember only use a none turkey sound as a loacator call. Some toms will respond up to a half hour after sunset by gobbling back at you from the roosting tree. The crow call is your best bet. Crows are everywhere and unlike coyotes they do not alert the birds to danger.

BTW - It was a distinct pleasure of mine to meet you and other HBC members in person.

Big Lew
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Love your story! I'll bet you didn't realize how big those toms really are up close! My son and I saw a mature tom not too far from your area about 3 years ago....it was picking up gravel on the side of the roadway, nice.

doubled
04-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Awesome story and congrats. Sounds like it would be one hell of an experience.

300H&H
04-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Sad to say but you have lowered your chances of getting that tom :icon_frow.
But I have to say you did awsome. Going out and having a tom answer you back the first time is unforgetable, I bet your hooked now !?!
Turkeys do have a territory so I bet those birds will be in the same area come opening day. Go get him !!!
PS Great pics.

phoenix
04-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks Othmar, it was my pleasure also to finally meet you face to face. And again what a great seminar. I used my crow call this morning and I think I have some turkeys about a 20 min walk from the house. I also got replys to my coyote calls. I can't wait till Thursday. BTW, great shots mgnm300, really well done.
Kim

moosinaround
04-11-2010, 01:26 PM
awesome !!!!!!

It is a rush to talk to turkeys

I personally think its more addictive than Elk
Don't say that..............................WHY did you have to say that??!!! I do not need to find any other hunting more addicting than elk!! I am in way too deep with moose elk and deer, and then you have to say that??!!! You a divorce lawyer by chance?? lol!!! Moosin

huntwriter
04-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I also got replys to my coyote calls.
Kim

Thanks for the kind words about my seminar. It's what I really enjoy doing more than writing about hunting.

Turkeys do reply to coyote calls, as to any other sudden and loud noise. I had turkeys gobble their heads off at police sirens, fighter jets flying over a property, train horns and in Illinois the woods would shake from gobbling each time a ship came up or down the Mississippi river blasting their horns right next to the property I used to hunt.

One thing I learned very quickly when I started turkey hunting 16 years ago is that while turkeys respond to coyote calls, or any other predator call, like eagle scream or owl hoot, it also makes them highly nervous. A nervous bird will be that much tougher to call in as he is looking out for trouble.

When I hunt turkeys I want them to be relaxed. To achieve that I will do what I need to create a friendly inviting environment in which the turkey can feel safe and that is the reason why I never use predator locator calls, or any other call that is not common to the area I hunt. In fact I am sure that a hunter using a coyote locator call is the culprit why I couldn't complete my first turkey grand-slam. I had the last bird I needed to complete my glad-slam within 20 yards then we both heard a coyote howl from about a mile away. The tom folded switched ends and walked away at a fast pace, to fast for me to risk a shot and maybe miss or cripple him.

While a ship fog horn means nothing to a tom living near the Mississippi River it sure wouldn't sound right to a tom living in Oliver, BC. The same goes for predator calls. If a tom hears a coyote call he assumes that their is a coyote nearby. Coyotes eat turkeys!:wink:

300H&H
04-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I have some turkeys about a 20 min walk from the house. Kim

What ? :shock:

What part of Kelowna ? Ive not heard of them so close.

huntwriter
04-11-2010, 05:47 PM
...I think I have some turkeys about a 20 min walk from the house.

Give me a phone call and I gladly come to make sure that they are really turkeys. Might have to shoot one to make absolutely certain.:mrgreen:

phoenix
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
There are so many coyotes around here I think a turkey would be nervous if he didn't hear them, lol. I haven't been pounding them this year like the last couple of years and there are more than ever now. I howl with them all the time. After they replied to the crow call I just figured I would try the coyote howl. They gobbled back a couple of times and then wouldn't reply to the crow or coyote so I left the area. I will just be using the crow call and turkey calls on Thursday morning. They were at least 100yds away and maybe as much as 200yds as it is real quiet here and everything sounds a little louder and closer than it really is. I am pretty sure it was turkey though. Hopefully I will be able to be sure in a couple of days.
Kim

phoenix
04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
What ? :shock:

What part of Kelowna ? Ive not heard of them so close.
Lots of turkeys seen up Beaver Lake Rd. My bud got a pic of about 20 right by the high rim trail.
Kim

eastkoot
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I have had turkeys answer to almost anything. Yesterday, to the quad starting up and last year opening day, to the truck horn when I hit the lock on my key fob one too many times when leaving the truck..At least I knew which way to walk from the truck!!

mgnm300
04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
well i just got back from rocky mountain house visiting my daughter.
i just read some of your comments guys and thanks for all of them. i'm still on a high and can't wait for opening weekend. i figure if it work once it hopefully should work again, i am definitly hooked on turkeys!

300H&H
04-14-2010, 10:22 PM
i'm still on a high and can't wait for opening weekend. i figure if it work once it hopefully should work again, i am definitly hooked on turkeys!

Your going to be to late !!!

I will have shot your turkey by then. :mrgreen: