PDA

View Full Version : jerky results

moose hide
04-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Just finished a batch of hamburger jerky. thanks Mikey for the recipe. i.ll try a little alteration neat batch. Will use TERIAKEY instead of soya sauce and add 1 tbsp of onion powder next time. It is better than i thought . Where is the cold beer? may add liquid smoke as well. stay tune next weekend for more results. Moose hide
Oya- I ran the elk meat through an electric grinder i picked up at Princess Auto, great for a few pounds at a time. Layed it on an electric dehydrator from-believe it or not, a good working jerky gun from , you got it Princess auto. the dehydrator is a nesco with the motor on top. had one before with the heater and motor on the bottom- everything drips into it and is hard to clean. this motor on top is a snap to clean if you spray the racks down with pam. Any way , thats it for now.over

Bowzone_Mikey
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
glad you liked it ... thats the fun of making your own ... I went out and found a great base (the one I posted) and Tinker with it each time. doing it yourself you can make many small batches and its all good

I have been known to add onion soup mix to the odd batch .worchestor sauce and terriaki are great additions ... My oldest daughter really likes the sweet terriaki stuff I make

if you dont mind me askin ..what you pay for the grinder at PA ... I got a hand crank unit and it fricken sucks doing a whole deer with one of those

Oh ..I wouldnt replace the soya with terriaki ...I would just add terriaki as the soya is a salt based product and actually helps with driing process ... you can try it if you want but I found just adding is fine its not that much ...if anything it may take a few more mins in the dehydrator

thetackdriver
04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Better start making some more dad because its going to be gone b4 the night

Bowzone_Mikey
04-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Better start making some more dad because its going to be gone b4 the night

Ya ya ya ... I suppose you want a bunch too "new uncle steve" I know "old uncle steve" wants some but I think I am gonna hold out untill he actually kills something

thetackdriver
04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Haha steveo is absolutely stoked to come to town and hunt bears with us. Id make him gut the bear for you though if he wants jerky made up!!

moose hide
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Mikey, What i have done in the past is to chunk my game meat into
1-1 1/2 inch chunks, put about 10 pounds into a bag and freeze it. When i want sausage or salami made ,just take out 10 or 20 pounds to the meat market and have it done.---keep your last season tag, they want the number. What i do now is chunk the meat up like above, put 2 pounds to the package-label it GRINDER MEAT. When i want to make hamburger jerky or sausage or salami, just take out whats needed.
The princess auto grinder was 50 -60 bucks and the jerky gun was 10 -15 bucks, seems to work really good- easy to clean- JERKY GUN not for the dish washer. The grinder blade didn,t make 100% contact with the disc so i put the blade on the stone and did figure 8's until it was sharp and contact was made right across all four blades when set on the disc. Other then than Mike i cann't complain. Would be nice to connect with other hunters from PG who like doing this kind of stuff on rainy or winter days. .
each guy buy one machine-GRINDER--STUFFER-MIXER -RECIPES AND WHAT EVER ELSE IS NEEDED. Get togeather and do up a few batchs. Share some idea's and experience and make some new friends with the same interests.
any way. thanks for your input mikey- by the way, only have 8 little chunks of jerky left from the full load i did yesterday.
later Moose Hide

moosinaround
04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Mikey, What i have done in the past is to chunk my game meat into
1-1 1/2 inch chunks, put about 10 pounds into a bag and freeze it. When i want sausage or salami made ,just take out 10 or 20 pounds to the meat market and have it done.---keep your last season tag, they want the number. What i do now is chunk the meat up like above, put 2 pounds to the package-label it GRINDER MEAT. When i want to make hamburger jerky or sausage or salami, just take out whats needed.
The princess auto grinder was 50 -60 bucks and the jerky gun was 10 -15 bucks, seems to work really good- easy to clean- JERKY GUN not for the dish washer. The grinder blade didn,t make 100% contact with the disc so i put the blade on the stone and did figure 8's until it was sharp and contact was made right across all four blades when set on the disc. Other then than Mike i cann't complain. Would be nice to connect with other hunters from PG who like doing this kind of stuff on rainy or winter days. .
each guy buy one machine-GRINDER--STUFFER-MIXER -RECIPES AND WHAT EVER ELSE IS NEEDED. Get togeather and do up a few batchs. Share some idea's and experience and make some new friends with the same interests.
any way. thanks for your input mikey- by the way, only have 8 little chunks of jerky left from the full load i did yesterday.
later Moose Hide
Moose Hide, I am in. I am just going over a recipe book today looking at some fresh sausage ideas! I made some burger jerky about 2 months ago and dried it in the oven. It was awesome! My kid loved it! Of course I learned a few things, and I am going to do a couple things different next time. I think my spring bear will get made into some sausage and jerky this year!! I have some alder I cut a feww weeks ago drying so I can get the big smoker going as soon as it warms up a bit!

Later, Moosinaround

moose hide
04-11-2010, 02:52 PM
hi moosing around, what do you smoke in your smoker? fish or just game. i'm not to sure about using my fish smoker to do wild game-fishy meat taste doesn't sound good to me. may have to build an outdoor smoker from wood, than pipe the smoke into it. use a hot plate maybe inside. princess auto had them on sale--20 bucks. for sausage/ salami -need to get the temp to 170. anyway let me know.than we'll go from there. moose hide

goatdancer
04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
hi moosing around, what do you smoke in your smoker? fish or just game. i'm not to sure about using my fish smoker to do wild game-fishy meat taste doesn't sound good to me. may have to build an outdoor smoker from wood, than pipe the smoke into it. use a hot plate maybe inside. princess auto had them on sale--20 bucks. for sausage/ salami -need to get the temp to 170. anyway let me know.than we'll go from there. moose hide

I use my smoker for jerky and fish and have never noticed any cross taste.