PDA

View Full Version : bears morning or afternoons?

Brew
04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best time to spot bears. For me it has been warn afternoons. I have not spotted to many morning bears over the years. What about you anybody shoot a first light bear or a a.m bear.

bigwhiteys
04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Never shot a morning bear, but I've seen them out at all hours... usually after a good rain, when the sun pops out it's time to glass some slashes.

3pm - dark has been my best bear times.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
04-10-2010, 08:32 AM
When the weather starts to get hot towards the end of the season they will be out in the early am...otherwise, afternoons/evenings are much more productive....at least they have been for me.

SSS

sceddy
04-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Never hunted bears in the morning.

Ddog
04-10-2010, 08:37 AM
always afternoons for me too, but on 1 occasion when i harvested bear in the evening and went for the recovery at first light i had 3 bears all in bow range, one was a real heavyweight that i would have loved to take, but the one i hit the night before was no slouch either, good thing i held off my bear was only another 50 yards or so.
late afternoons has always been better for me.

Brew
04-10-2010, 08:43 AM
I have seen a few grizzlies in the morning though. Most Griz i've spotted have been in the mornings. But blackies are always afternoons for me

mcrae
04-10-2010, 08:54 AM
We have been doing a spring bear hunting trip for about 12 years now. I am the only one in the group that goes out in the AM. Its mostly becasue the others are generally in no shape to move early AM. LOL...

I have seen plenty of bears in the AM. I have shot quite a few in the AM. I find by 10 AM they are finished screwing around till the afternoon though...

If I had to choose a specific time though it would be in the late afternoon/early evening after a good rainfall. Just when the sun pokes thru and starts to dry stuff out that has always been the best time for me.

I consider the last two hours the magic time for the big boys....

In the fall you can hunt them all day if the weather is right. I shot a bear last year at 1 pm in the Huckleberries...

BlacktailStalker
04-10-2010, 08:57 AM
3pm til dark is ideal in my book.

.308win
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I usually find a few more evening Bears than Morning........the morning Bears that I have seen, have been spotted between ~7and 10am. By that time its starting to get a little warm, my last 3 Bears have been shot at about 8-9am! Evenings do seem to be more productive though!

Perry

Archer
04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Got my biggest Island bear at 8:00 AM on April 30 a few years back, and have seen a few more good-sized bears in the early morning over the years. Evenings are definitely better, but anytime you spend in bear country is good in my books.

swampthing
04-10-2010, 09:12 AM
The best thing about bear hunting is you dont have to get out of bed to hunt them.

BCBear
04-10-2010, 09:14 AM
seen more than a few in the early morning on clear days. my second was taken just after 7am hunt over in 10 min.

RiverOtter
04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
As a rule, I only hunt afternoons(5:30 till dark), as I don't hunt numbers, I hunt size. If I have my kids in tow I'll head out a little earlier, as the rats keep them entertained.

Well I agree with going out after a good rain, I have had some of my best activity just before a big weather front moves in, as they're trying to top up before they lay low for the rain.

Caribou_lou
04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I see lots of bears in the morning but more in the evening hours. First light is best I find in the morning.

Tikka270wsm
04-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Late afternoon to dusk in the last two weeks of spring bear season.

wetcoastwillie
04-10-2010, 09:40 AM
The last few hours of the day is when I would go...

I'm thinking I might head out tomorrow late afternoon and see what I can find.

Shooter
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
I had a bear walk to about 15 yards of me last year about 15 minutes before first light. It was still pretty dark and I didn't even see the black lump coming up through the darkness of the morning. It was kinda creepy he got that close that quietly. But when I realized something was there and flipped my light to see what it was I think he was much more surprised than me...