PDA

View Full Version : First bear hunt

turtle7
04-10-2010, 03:53 AM
What is needed for a bear hunt?
I will be starting to hunt this year and i am after bear and deer.

kyleklassen
04-10-2010, 08:58 AM
gun,shells, license, tag, exacto knife.

.308win
04-10-2010, 09:04 AM
gun,shells, license, tag, exacto knife.

And Bino's!! A thermos of coffee is a plus as will!!!:mrgreen::wink: Good luck with your hunts!!

Perry

Bow Walker
04-10-2010, 09:06 AM
When you get your hunting license make sure they check the box that says you are a bow hunter.

You will need a whole lotta luck and and perserverance, very sharp broadhead tipped arrows that fly true. Plus a good knowledge of where to shoot the boogers.

This will help you. Study it carefully.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bear_Anatomy.jpg

Bow Walker
04-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah, since it's your first effort at hunting a bear with a bow, it might be a good idea to have a buddy along with a backup - preferably a gun.

cavebear
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
A meat pack in the the truck. they are heavy and awkward to pack. And if your bow hunting by yourself a really good pair of runners or wings:-D

bigwhiteys
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
You need a friend who knows how to skin a bear... First time caping jobs always look awesome!!!

Carl

oldtimer
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Anybody mention Range Finder ? don't leave home without it when Bow Hunting. Good luck, I am still looking for my first Bear with a Bow, lots of stalks but never quite right. This Year !!! Mike

Ambush
04-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Anybody mention Range Finder ? don't leave home without it when Bow Hunting.

I'll go a bit further than Oldtimer and say a range finder is essential for a new bow hunter. You can practice 'till you split arrows at forty yards, but if you miss-judge the distance by 6 or 7 yards you got a wounded bear!!

I've shot 15+ bears with a bow and they are not hard to kill, but you do have to hit both lungs.

turtle7
04-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Thank you so far.
dose any one have tracking tips or links? As well as info on skinning, cleaning and cutting?

bionicflite
04-10-2010, 11:44 PM
My first year for bear also.

GPS,SPOT,spotting scope and bino's,bright orange marking ribbion,selection of knives and head lamp.
Have heard a late afternoon kill can easily go into darkness by the time one has finished the deed.

Fore most ... my Plan B..as in "things have gone terribly wrong" re escape route.Coming from a family of hunters it was always drummed into me to be prepared for the unexpected.

The Hermit
04-10-2010, 11:47 PM
My advise is to go with someone that has been there done that...

BiG Boar
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Back roads map book. Gun. Car. Boots. Compass so u know which direction is south. Look for south facing slopes. Find grass. Bears will be there. North island. Garanteed bear if u follow these steps.

turtle7
04-11-2010, 12:54 PM
i fond this and think its a good link

http://www.whitetailfever.com/Alaska/2006_May/Skinning%20a%20black%20bear.htm

any one got some more

Jehiah
04-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Spot and stalk is pretty typical in BC due to the no baiting law. Ive only hunted bear with a rifle but I imagine the pack out is the same ;) Bring some muscle, a rope or equivalent (they dont have those handy headle bars that deer do), or a pack cart. If you are wanting the hide be sure to bring a few pounds of salt.
Good luck.