PDA

View Full Version : Owning an outfit

hawken
04-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Has anyone thought that they would like to own an outfitting business but not have the time or capital?

Well I have.

Let me hear your thoughts about a group buy on an outfit.

yukon john
04-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Thought about it quite a bit, cost lots doesnt pay much except lots of scenery and great quality of life. You would need some serious capital, banks dont like to lend money for a territory because you dont really own anything. Often the old outfitter will finance you and you pay him off over 5-10 years. Also outfitters are usually to busy to do much hunting, when I started guiding I wanted to move into outfitting but after 5 years I would say the guides have all the fun without so much stress. Some of the big oufits make good money (not all or even most) and right now is a very difficult time in the industry, high dollar, bad economy, and loss of allocations in coming years has many outfits on the edge of going under. The next few years will offer some good deals on territories if thats what your after.

proguide66
04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I been asked this question from past guests many times.....I couldnt do it...too much stress/pressure...$ grieff ...having to be a salesman for 3/4 of the year and worse , having to hire new guides to fufill high $ hunting contracts with out knowing if they are as good as they say...or having no choice but to hire new dick swingin cowboys who sleep and chew more than they hunt...then there's the attitude that seems to come with being an outfitter of calling the game ' ours' wich creates new enemies you dont even know....yuck....if you can be lucky to be the one out there each day sharing the adrenaline , cool.
BUT..if its $ and hunting your after , whitetail deer hunts...no over head , you can hire the neighbers kid to drop hunters at their stands , they find and pay for their own hotels , no planes , make em a bag lunch and cape the deer THE HUNTER chose to shoot....just keep takin deposits and trophy fees....then roll into spring blacks , do the same...$$$:mrgreen:

planes/horses/new guides/weather/less tags/US$ against CAN$/so called 'resident enemies' /govt = new grey hairs by the dozen and a shorter life expectancy...oh , and debt till ya die....:mrgreen:

bigwhiteys
04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I just pretend I own an outfit and play with my sons GI Joes and playmobil animals... It works pretty good and my hunters are always happy with the quality of game they see and they don't ever bitch about the airplane only having 1 wheel, no pilot and a missing roof... Not only that but my guides work cheap and they eat next to f-all!

Carl

kootenayelkslayer
04-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I've thought about it a fair bit. I've come to realize the best way to go about it, as a guide, would be to marry the outfitters daughter. That is sure to give you a good foot in the door for taking over one day.
As for which type of outfit would be the best to own... well there is alot of money in sheep. But I'm not sure I'd want to be a sheep outfitter in BC. I think the best deal would be a sheep outfit in the Territories. Plentiful game, no sheep quotas, very very few resident hunters, plus caribou, and big dollar moose hunts (and even grizz if you're in the Yukon). Plus, you wrap the season up around the end of September, so gives you a little time to hunt for yourself before the hunting shows start up.
Having said that, the life of an outfitter is generally a stressful one. Lots of factors are out of your control, weather probably being the biggest one. High overhead, LOTS of people management, etc etc.

bridger
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
outfitting is a tough business in which to become established. like the previous posts point out it is tough to get financing from the standard banking community. When you do get financed it is even tougher to find a good crew of asst guides, cooks, wranglers etc. then you have to find hunters, and then deal with moe and resident hunters, allocations, etc. that is why you see more and more small outfitters selliing out to big international hunting companies. the personal touch and lifestyle that made outfitting such a great vocation will disappear soon and will be replaced by large facelesss international hunting comglomerates with hunting areas in several provinces, states and even countries that really don't care about anything except the bottom line. That will be a sad turn of events and the hunting community will change forever.

landphil
04-10-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm still laughing - thanks - I needed that! :wink:

I just pretend I own an outfit and play with my sons GI Joes and playmobil animals... It works pretty good and my hunters are always happy with the quality of game they see and they don't ever bitch about the airplane only having 1 wheel, no pilot and a missing roof... Not only that but my guides work cheap and they eat next to f-all!

Carl

325 wsm
04-10-2010, 08:14 AM
A group buy would be tough especially if you didn't previously know your partners....so many decisions to be made it would be hard to keep the group happy. What are your thoughts on how a group could manage an area without to much in-fighting.

7mag700
04-10-2010, 08:22 AM
^^^ Too true. A partnership between enemies has a greater chance of success than a partnership between friends or strangers from what I've seen :)

7m7

Sitkaspruce
04-10-2010, 08:36 AM
I had that dream once....and only once.

As the others have said, way to much risk/stress for $$$ return.

If I was to win Lotto Max/649, then maybe the dream would return.

If you look at a some of the big outfits, they all got their chance by starting small, a moose/bear/deer/goat territory or something along those lines and establishing good clientèle and a smart business sense before moving up.

I am happy doing a month of guiding and then going back to my REAL job and letting the GO do all the behind the scene work.

Carl

Too Funny!!!!

Cheers

SS

bruin
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
I think it really depends what you want out of the outfit and what your strengths are. If you're a real people person and like organizing and planning then you probably are right for a big outfit. If you like talking hunting and you like being in the bush then you may suit a small outfit. Some other stuff that I haven't seen mentioned is how understanding your family is. How many contacts and how much experience you have in the outfitting industry. Your ability to budget accurately.
I also think selection of areas is huge. Most of the mixed outfitters are getting by right now but the outfits that specialize and make their name in a certain species are not having trouble booking clients becuase they are the go to outfits for that species. That is so important when we go through economic troubles.

Darksith
04-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I will own one, or be partners in owning 1. Its not to get rich, its for the love of it. Within the next 10 years I will be at least a partial owner.

dana
04-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Been offered the opportunity to be an outfitter several times. Even have had people with money want to finance me. Turned it down every time. Way funner hunting with family and friends than babysitting people with attitudes.

Maxx
04-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I've thought about it a fair bit. I've come to realize the best way to go about it, as a guide, would be to marry the outfitters daughter. That is sure to give you a good foot in the door for taking over one day.
As for which type of outfit would be the best to own... well there is alot of money in sheep. But I'm not sure I'd want to be a sheep outfitter in BC. I think the best deal would be a sheep outfit in the Territories. Plentiful game, no sheep quotas, very very few resident hunters, plus caribou, and big dollar moose hunts (and even grizz if you're in the Yukon). Plus, you wrap the season up around the end of September, so gives you a little time to hunt for yourself before the hunting shows start up.
Having said that, the life of an outfitter is generally a stressful one. Lots of factors are out of your control, weather probably being the biggest one. High overhead, LOTS of people management, etc etc.

What is the outfitter had no daughters, only sons? Would you go "Brokeback"just to own the outfit one day?:wink:

358mag
04-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Has anyone thought that they would like to own an outfitting business but not have the time or capital?

Well I have.

Well if you buy a outfitting business just make sure its not in BC or the BCWF police on line will rape you over the coals about shooting all there game !!! Good Luck

kootenayelkslayer
04-10-2010, 04:23 PM
What is the outfitter had no daughters, only sons? Would you go "Brokeback"just to own the outfit one day?:wink:

Haha well that's not the position I find myself in right now, so it's tough to speculate. It would have to be one hell of an outfit though!! ;)

waistdeep
04-10-2010, 05:00 PM
I would love to own a territory either with or without a partner, need my own space to share with friends and business associates. Any out there?

The Hermit
04-10-2010, 05:54 PM
On one hand I'm attracted to the perceived lifestyle and would consider going on an African safari, yet on the other hand I feel VERY strongly that if there isn't enough game to have general open season for residents then ZERO allocations should go to guides for foreigners. Does that make me a hypocrite? :-)

Benelli FanBoy
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
the personal touch and lifestyle that made outfitting such a great vocation will disappear soon and will be replaced by large facelesss international hunting comglomerates with hunting areas in several provinces, states and even countries that really don't care about anything except the bottom line...

I would really love to know why that is? Are they more efficient?

moosinaround
04-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I would really love to know why that is? Are they more efficient?
Not efficient, just bottomless pockets!!

A grizz hunt for a client costs yah 35000, and then he turns around and sells you land somewhere else for multi million??!! Offer it as a perk in other financial deals?? Moosin

Buck
04-10-2010, 08:14 PM
On one hand I'm attracted to the perceived lifestyle and would consider going on an African safari, yet on the other hand I feel VERY strongly that if there isn't enough game to have general open season for residents then ZERO allocations should go to guides for foreigners. Does that make me a hypocrite

Safaris are pretty much operating on private land so who gets to hunt there is their business.Leh makes crown land private for GOABC thats why they like it so much.And as long as they can manipulate the MOE there will be no peace.So i agree no GOS no foreigners.

BromBones
04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Thought about it as well, as I'd enjoy the lifestyle. Tough to do for your average joe twelve-pack though - especially if you want an area with sheep, grizz, caribou, etc.

If I ever win the lottery, and had money to lose, I'd probably venture into it.

silvicon
04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Buck,
you are just bitter because you can not affort a outfitt for yourself and
also because you dont get LEH tags you apply for.
GO bashing is is the expresion of sore loosers!

I am not a GO, guide some times, get or not LEH. You don't see me whining and bashing.
The problem is eslwhere:
high predator numbers eating ungulates, "first nations' maiming and killing majority of surviving populations.
GO's get low number of available tags, most go to LEH.
GOS leads to mayhem and wholesale slaughter of ungulates, remeber the bison debacle in the early 90s?

frenchbar
04-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Buck,
you are just bitter because you can not affort a outfitt for yourself and
also because you dont get LEH tags you apply for.
GO bashing is is the expresion of sore loosers!

I am not a GO, guide some times, get or not LEH. You don't see me whining and bashing.
The problem is eslwhere:
high predator numbers eating ungulates, "first nations' maiming and killing majority of surviving populations.
GO's get low number of available tags, most go to LEH.
GOS leads to mayhem and wholesale slaughter of ungulates, remeber the bison debacle in the early 90s?

'first nations'maiming and killing majority of surviving populations.

native bashing is the expression of a sore loser:mrgreen:

gibson
04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
A friend of mine was an outfitter for 10 years. The first few years were exciting, as it would be venturing into self employment, but the last 3 or 4 years it became work and he sold it.
Ditto on all the previous comments re. banks, financing, etc.

yzchamp
04-11-2010, 06:28 PM
i would be definitely interasted to go as a partner.. hunt for living??? dream come true.. pm me what u have in mind

brad ferris
04-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Well I have.

im not sure if you work in the guiding industry now but if you are serious about outfitting you should put in a few years at a few different outfits as a guide.this will give you a feel for what the industry is like. as far as partnering up my preferance would be to get backers who want little or no part of running the business.

kootenayslam
04-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Way funner hunting with family and friends than babysitting people with attitudes.

X2..this gets old really quick