PDA

View Full Version : close shots

Dale
03-19-2006, 07:02 PM
let's here those stories about extremely close shots on animals. mine is a 3 yrd shot with a muzzleloader, on the ground on a whitetail buck. filled the scope that guy did. had to look twice to make sure i was aiming in the right spot. too close.

CanAm500
03-19-2006, 07:12 PM
3 yards that pretty close.

todbartell
03-19-2006, 07:19 PM
8 yards on a black bear in '98

7mm Remington Magnum w/ 160 gr. Fail Safe

Kirby
03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Stalked a feeding black bear to 5 yards, when he stood up I put an arrow through his chest.

First deer ever I was walking along, little spike came up out of a draw and stood facing me less than 10 yards away, I don't remeber if I aimed, or just pointed the rifle at him, but he went down.

Kirby

Darren
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
my closest was probably about 8 yards on a blacktail, with a 300 win. Took a neck shot, but still Definetly overkill.

johnes50
03-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Shot a Blacktail at about 20 yards using a .243 with a 4x power scope. He filled the scope and I had a heck of a time figuring out what part of him I was looking at cause all I could see was brown.

harbinger
03-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I shot a bull moose a few years ago and when we walked up to get him he was not dead yet. I strolled up to him to finish him off and the bugger stood up! He was about 10 yards away, I put my gun up and all I saw was a MASSIVE eyeball looking back at me. Hehe, I had left my scope on nine power! Yikes, it was a little freaky! I'm glad I didn't get trampled. Crap was he tall when he stood up! I learned a few things that day!

000buck
03-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Mine personally was last year, went sneakin' up through the slash with the 12gu, 3 rounds of 000 in the mag 200 yards uphill trippin' an fallin' cussin' an swearin' after this dumb azz doe that just wanted to get eaten. 3/4 of the way there, there was a brown stick yellow flower bush thing. I stopped behind it for a breather. I got started again about a minute later made my way round the bush and right there at less than 20 feet is this big fork blacktail. He looked at me I looked him both of us near crapped he spun I shot..............mmmmmmmmmmm dear meat.

houndogger
03-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Shot a charging moose at about 5 feet with my 45/70. Was alot of fun, turned around and my hunters were no where in sight!:lol:

huntwriter
03-19-2006, 09:28 PM
let's here those stories about extremely close shots on animals. mine is a 3 yrd shot with a muzzleloader, on the ground on a whitetail buck. filled the scope that guy did. had to look twice to make sure i was aiming in the right spot. too close.

I would not look trough the scope at 3 yards, only point the gun and squeeze the triger. No aiming needed. In Alabama I shot a nice fat doe with my compound bow at about six to seven yards. I just pointed the arrow and let it fly. She run only about 30 yards and piled up. At the time I just hunkered down behind a persimmon tree. There is something very special about it if you get an animal that close, kissing close.

stanway
03-19-2006, 09:31 PM
My closest successful deer was last season's mule. It was a nice 20 yard bow shot with my 350 Rem Mag :eek:. He didn't go far.

I managed to miss a blacktail doe up in the Charlottes a couple of years ago (doe season). She jumped up out of a ditch right in front of me - less than 10 yards - scared the crap out of me. I should have hit her with the .243 instead of shooting it. :oops:

:lol::lol:

brotherjack
03-19-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't know that I recall shooting anything beyond 40 yards, myself - bullet or arrow. :) I think my closest successful shot was probably my 6 point elk this year - about 10-15 yards. He went about 7 steps after the shot (which in elk steps, is about 30 yards). :)

Though I once blew a shot on a whitetail who was about 3-5 yards away (yes, I am still kicking myself, why do you ask?). :(

Silent Wolf
03-19-2006, 09:53 PM
For me my wolf was 15 feet away, 30-06 180gr she spun and spun what seemed like for ever.

My buck this past year was 10 feet away same 30-06 180gr, boiler shot exit hole was like a water hose with the blood just sick:sad:

SW:eek: :lol:

Steeleco
03-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Does almost touching the back of a grouse's head with a .22 count, almost everything else has been at least 100 yards or more.

Dirty
03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
If grouse count then my closest kill was 5ft :lol:

Ozone
03-19-2006, 11:12 PM
My biggest deer was taken at 26ft. 30 06 150 gr thats when I started to think about a smaller rifle.

ruger#1
03-19-2006, 11:21 PM
mine was about 20 to 30 yards with a 7x57 mauser and im still wondering why i sold that rifle.

Trigger_Happy
03-19-2006, 11:22 PM
I almost stood on the first rabbit i ever shot. The end of the 20ga barrel couldent have been more than 1-2ft away.

Mark_S
03-20-2006, 02:19 AM
I shot my first Mule deer at 15 paces with a 300 RUM and a 180 grain nosler. I don't remember looking through the scope I just remember being shocked that he jumped out of the timber in front of me and just stood there looking at me like "Well whats the hold up?"

bochunk2000
03-20-2006, 02:58 AM
My first buck wit a bow was about 10 yards. He jumped a bit when he saw me and it hit him in the neck. Dropped like a rock. I think the longest shot with my bow so far is about 25 yards. Nothing with a rifle up close so far.

CanuckShooter
03-20-2006, 07:05 AM
53" bull moose at thirty feet last year.

boxhitch
03-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Last years 178 Mulie. I was in a large cutblock, had spent about 2 hours in a natural ground blind, ranging stumps at 250, 300, 360, 380 and just in case, that one way out there at 420. I felt comfortable carrying the STW with 160 gr. Barnes, fitted with 4-16 x scope. The first noise I heard, besides the wind, was a snort and a grunt behind me, where I hadn't looked for at least two minutes. Spun around to find a doe with a large rack stuck up her tail. Glad the scope was only on 4x. 15 yards (then again at 20).

dave_fras
03-20-2006, 09:49 AM
i got a nice 4x5 whitey at about 7 yards 2 winters ago.... 12gauge with 00 buck shot

ohno
03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
My first deer, an Island Blacktail spike buck. It ran across the road in front of us and I got out and walked up a skid trail leading through the slash. Out of the corner of my eye I see him standing there looking at me. Snap shot w/ 30-06 180gr Federals 4x Tasco scope. Neck shot that went at a slight angle almost parallel to his neck and exited the ribs on the opposite side. I could see the bullet track down the inside of his ribs when I gutted him out.

Ask me the date of my wedding anniversary I have to think about it, but ask me about the conditions when I shot my first deer and I can give minute details. Must be a guy thing.
Go figure.

mark
03-20-2006, 11:57 AM
shot a buck at 10 ft. once, shot a moose at 10 yrds. called 5 point elk within 10 ft. of barrel 2 years in a row now, have been within 5 ft of a calf moose and does before but didnt shoot! what a rush!

REDGREEN
03-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Real heavy whitetail buck at 10 feet with a 300 win mag. Thought that I was gonna get guzzled then. Gave him a second one and he ran across my legs!

elkmaster
03-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I have been on dozens of Elk, deer, Moose and bear that have been within 10 yards.
The closest that I had come was about 1 yard, I had a seven foot 3 inch tall brown fase blackbear come up a tree after me when I was bowhunting black bear, I climbed higher and had no choice but to arrow him threw the face twice, the first arrow travelled all the way threw him,from cartlidge on the side of his snout , under the brain and missing the spine, and then traveling threw is stomach and out his rear, with NO effect on the bear at that time, the second arrow traveled threw his right jaw threw the outside of his skull and enlodged in his shoulder.
I have been on 50 plus black and grizzly bear hunts and harvests and this one was no doupt the scariest!
The bear still endded up climbing down the tree and running about 50 yards, then piling up, there was alot more to this story on why, when and where.
I had wrote an artical about this hunt for outdoor life and bowbender magazines in the early 1980's.
The bears noggen scored 19 3/8

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/tree_bear.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1847&size=big&cat=500&perpage=24&ppuser=1275)

steveo32
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM
As for closest shot i think watching my friend last year up north shoot a wolf at 4 feet was awsome!!! Blood was speckled all over his rifle,face and horse.:D My closest shot was another wolf at 9 feet that i called in by howeling and did not see until i turned around and was gonna leave, It was a big jet black one that i would have skinned but i kinda split him in a half with a nice head shot that went all the way down his spine!!!

Also called a bull moose in to 3 yards and made the client pass on him just not what we were looking for!

steve

Offroad
03-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Got a blacktail at around 15 ft.

huntwriter
03-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Besides the Alabama doe I told about here I had another close encounter but no shot. So I do not know if that counts.

In 1997 my buddy and I double teamed on toms. Since I shot a turkey he called in the day before it was now my turn to call a turkey for my friend so he can fill his tag too. As is cunstomary in double teaming, the caller is posted further back from the shooter. The idea is to bring the tom closer to the shooter as he follows the call from further back.

Like everything else in hunting. This sometimes works well and sometimes not. This time the tom came from my right side which is not where I wanted him because there was no way my friend could get a shot at him without getting me into the "picture" too. I could not see the tom but I could hear him comming closer and closer.

I decided to quit calling and that would get him to turn around and walk back down the ridge. If he did that, then I would start calling again but hold the call more to my left side. If that worked then the tom would come back up the ridge again but more to my left side from where the calling came. With that he would walk right in front of my frieds waiting Remington shotgun.

During this time I was concentrating intently on my right side and tried to catch every little sound or movement. For some time I felt something on my leg like nibbling or a beetle crawling up and down my leg. But just in case the turkey came into sight I didn't dare move a muscle.

Finally I couldn't stand it any longer and turned my eyeballs as far left as they would go. The next second I jumped in the air. I was staring streight in the eyes of doe. She stared back at me, our noses almost tuching then she snorted loud turned inside out, swaped ends and was gone in two big leaps. But I could hear her crashing trough the undergrowth for quit a while.

This little episode brought an abrupt end to our turkey hunt for that moring and I was in need of a very strong coffee. Since I was camouflaged from head to toe in my ASAT leafy suit, including full face mask and gloves I must have looked like a shrub to that doe.

After the fact, my friend and I laughed about it. But at the time when I was face to face with that doe my heart skipped a few beats. I never will forget that experience for as long as I shall live.

rock
03-21-2006, 10:07 PM
20 feet away with mule deer , 12 feet with whitetail,

Islandeer
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
About 20 ft,whitey, wow, what a rush!!!!And my closest miss, about the same on a BC book whitey, wow again,until he batted his eyelashes at me and booked it to Yahk!!!

ratherbefishin
03-22-2006, 07:37 AM
I once stepped up onto a rock and a nice fork was bedded down right on the other side-I could have poked it with my rifle

Gateholio
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
8 yards or less, black bear.

Went down hard, and when I poked him with my foot, he did just sloshed around inside. All the lungs/heart/liver were liquified.

The bullet exited.8-)

johnes50
03-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Don't know if this counts, but I punched a bear once.I was camping in a Provincial campsite in Ontario and had been bothered by raccoons all night. I woke up and something was rubbing against my side of the tent. I was half asleep and assumed it was a raccoon again. I was annoyed that it was back and that it had woke me up. I swung really hard at the side of the tent with a closed fist backhand and hit something very large and soild. It felt like I hit it in the belly. I heard a big WOOF and I heard it run away. The next morning I saw the bear tracks outside my tent.

bsa30-06
03-22-2006, 04:45 PM
wow, good thing he didn't swing back hey?

CanAm500
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Don't know if this counts, but I punched a bear once.I was camping in a Provincial campsite in Ontario and had been bothered by raccoons all night. I woke up and something was rubbing against my side of the tent. I was half asleep and assumed it was a raccoon again. I was annoyed that it was back and that it had woke me up. I swung really hard at the side of the tent with a closed fist backhand and hit something very large and soild. It felt like I hit it in the belly. I heard a big WOOF and I heard it run away. The next morning I saw the bear tracks outside my tent.

That should count. Yeah like bsa30-06 said, good thing it didnt decide to swing back.

farside
03-22-2006, 06:48 PM
1st blacktail at 15ft with 12G 000 from a natural ground blind. Nice 2x2. I was sooo happy but a bit miffed that it wasn't one of his pals Mr. 3x3 or Mr. 4x4. Hubby was a gentleman and even gutted it for me. I must have spooked these guys 4 times in 2 weeks before I clued in to hide and wait for them to come to me. Yes - I was a new hunter and have learned much since then but I still hunt the same area when I am pressed for time and only have an hour or so to "kill".

Islandeer
03-22-2006, 07:17 PM
I like the bear punching thing... guess that makes you a bear poke!!

Dale
03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
as the starter of this thread, i have to say that the bear punch takes it!! that is scary, but funny stuff!!

Fred
03-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I did that too in about 1981 or so at Spuzzum. I thought it was the dog. I didn't clue in until the next morning when I realized that the dog was chained to the truck and it was cowering and shivering under the middle of the truck. There was bear crap all around our tent too. I went back to that general area last spring with Ex and we saw quite a few bears. Fred

johnes50
03-24-2006, 05:44 PM
I did that too in about 1981 or so at Spuzzum. I thought it was the dog. I didn't clue in until the next morning when I realized that the dog was chained to the truck and it was cowering and shivering under the middle of the truck. There was bear crap all around our tent too. I went back to that general area last spring with Ex and we saw quite a few bears. Fred
Geez! Slappin the crap out of a bear!!! Good thing Paul McCartney didn't hear about that.

huntwriter
03-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Geez! Slappin the crap out of a bear!!! Good thing Paul McCartney didn't hear about that.

Good one.:biggrin: :biggrin: