PDA

View Full Version : knife

horshur
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Just posting this up to see what you all think.....this is an attempt at a laminated blade with a combo deer antler, birch and copper handle. The blade is a horse rasp wrapped with mild thin guage steel. The antler is off a cougar kill buck I found last spring and the birch from my wood pile. Copper from some renovations last summer. I threw in a pic of some different flint strikers as well.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_3376.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_3318.jpg

Ddog
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
,,so did you retemper the farriers file? That is a horse rasp right?
how much time did you put into this one?
I think you did a good job on it horshur,
i also really like your strikers,,good job on those!
cheers...D

horshur
04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
,,so did you retemper the farriers file? That is a horse rasp right?
how much time did you put into this one?
I think you did a good job on it horshur,
i also really like your strikers,,good job on those!
cheers...D

I wrapped and then forge welded mild sheet steel around an old farrier file and forged it out to basic shape and ground the rest. Drawfiled for finish.

Generaly I have quenched in motor oil when the steel becomes non magnetic and that has been good.....this knife I quenched in water the edge was a bit hard so ran colors to straw and quenched again. I could afford to be a bit hard because it is a laminated blade the mild steel will not be too hard ...I could leave the edge hard and not worry about brittleness. I am not a bladesmith just potter around.

The strikers are horse rasp quenched at non magnetic....the strike edge should be smooth and it needs to be glass hard. No tempering.

Gateholio
04-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Assuming it is functional, I think it's fantastic.

srupp
04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
very impressive...as are the flint strikers..

steven

Ddog
04-09-2010, 08:11 AM
i do not think many know exactly what was involved thats why i presume not a lot of responses. I think its a beauty.
you did a great job Horshur, you are well on your way to being a great knifemaker. Keep it up, as said above, it is very impressive.

BimmerBob
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I think it looks great Horshur, looks like you are started on a new hobby!

Blacktail
04-09-2010, 07:53 PM
great job bud

I have done much the same as heating to non magnetic and then quenching in 130 degree light oil
depending on the steel and the hardness I temper out by heating to around 500 degrees for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.

henderson
04-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Good work mate