PDA

View Full Version : Tenderloin Suggestions?

BruceW
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Okay, I'll admit it, I've been hoarding my tenderloins. I've got a moose tenderloin, and an antelope tenderloin. Every time I open the freezer they mock me. This winter's homemade wine is coming of age and I can save them no longer, it's time for a feast!

I've thought about just roasting them, but have also in the past split and stuffed them. I've also thought about trying to "barbeque" them in the smoker, but don't want to screw them up.

Any other suggestions?

bigwhiteys
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Try these

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/2009/05/elk-tenderloin-recipe-wellingtons/

I've made them with Elk, Moose, Buffalo and Regular old Beef. Can't go wrong, takes a little time though.

Carl

lilhoss
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
You've waited too long.lol..Mine never make it to the freezer.Flour,salt,pepper,cut into thin steaks,pan fry some onions in warm butter until glazed,drop in the steaks.Medium rare,a side of bake beans,some fresh baking powder biscuits,and a cold beer. I'm drooling,..think I'm gonna warm up the frying pan.

Steeleco
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I like them simply sliced into medallion type steaks and BBQ'd no seasoning, no sauces. Just the meat the way it was when it fell. Season the hell out of all the other cuts, but not TL's!!

Brett
04-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Here is a video and the recipe for the best tenderloin wellington EVER! I've done this twice with moose, both times a huge hit with everyone!
Yah it's a little work, but soooooo good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1orR1HGv0s
http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/beef-wellington-07-12-21_p_1.html

Bow Walker
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Hot and quick (not over medium-rare) - light on the spicing - simple creamed mushroom sauce - nicely steamed veggies - a bottle of not-too-robust red wine - invite me...

303Brit
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
1 tenderloin, 1-1 Soya -water, few gloves of garlic, salt & pepper, couples shakes of Montreal steak spice, a green onion or 2 minced. Add all in a tupperware container marinade for 24-36hrs. Shake container everytime you grab a beer from the fridge. Toss in the oven in a covered dish 365, 35-40min (depending on size and prefered cookness) Left over juice can be turned into awesome gravy or au jus type sauce for dipping leftovers(not that there ever is any)
This is kickbass with roasted or garlic mashed potatoes, and any veggies you like

BromBones
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
When fresh I like to save some fat off the animal (moose or early caribou), melt a gob of it in a cast iron pan, and cut the TL or backstrap into thick (2'') steaks. Fry it up with salt, black pepper, garlic, and onions, few spuds, wash it all with an ice cold beer or a shot of whiskey. Avoid your sweetheart for 3-5 hours, farts will be rank as hell.

nolan-sawka
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
stuffed with roasted red peppers and feta cheese and seasoned to your taste

saskbooknut
05-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Cut across the tenderloin 1 1/4 inch thick medallions, bacon wrap if that turns your crank, marinade with splash of soya sauce 1 hour before cooking. Sear on both sides on the BBQ leaving interior medium rare.
Cook with skewers of red, green and yellow peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes on the BBQ to accompany.
Baked potato to go with, chives and sour cream added.
KISS principle applies to choice cuts like tenderloin. This simple meal should feed the soul of any hunter.

wolverine
05-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Butterfly em nice and thick and a little Montreal Steak Spice and sear them on the hot grill to just a little less than medium rare and have at er.

dime
05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
The key to tenderloins is DO NOT OVERCOOK. Medium rare at the most.
Here is a super easy recipe perfect with your homemade hooch:

Ingredients:
Tenderloins cut into 1.25 inch thick steaks
Salt, pepper
1/2 cup Wine
1/2 cup Cream
2-3 tablespoons butter

Salt and pepper steaks lightly, while heating pan ( do not use a non stick pan) to medium heat. Pan must be nice and hot before you add the steaks.
Throw steaks in dry - do not add any oil or fat.
Cook to your liking-medium rare in my house, remove from pan.
Since you added no fat, there should be a lot of browned bits stuck to the pan. This is the good stuff.
Pour in about a half cup of wine or so, scraping the pan to get off the browned bits and boil on high heat until only a couple of tablespoons remain.
Pour in about a half cup of whipping cream, boil until sauce starts to thicken up and will coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and add a wad of butter (couple of tablespoons)
Add salt- you want it to be fairly salty as the meat and potatoes that you are pouring the sauce over will be relatively bland. Usually about 1/2 a teaspoon or to taste.
Pour over meat.

05-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Where do you live? just PM me and i'll come over with some beer

303Brit
05-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Where do you live? just PM me and i'll come over with some beer

I'd PM you but your still dead to me :mrgreen:

05-21-2010, 08:08 AM
I'd PM you but your still dead to me :mrgreen:

Awe comon man :icon_frow
Im sorry! I didnt mean it. .303's Are the best !! Especially thoes Brittish ones :mrgreen:

Tanya
05-21-2010, 08:28 AM
This is one we use for tenderloin of all species. Moose and caribou are particularily good this way.

Venison Tenderloin with Shitake Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients
Venison loin - Quantity will vary according to the number of people you are serving and the size of the animal. Place the loin on a board and with the BACK of a knife lightly mark (dent) the meat, DO NOT CUT INTO INDIVIDUAL CHOPS, at 2- 2-1/2inch intervals for blacktail or southern whitetail 11/2 -2 inches for bigger northern whitetail. If you are feeding heavy eaters, you may want to increase the portions. When you have marked enough portions cut that whole piece off and save the remainder of the loin for another day. Now you will have a nice whole piece of loin ready for seasoning.
For the purpose of this recipe I will give the amounts for 4 servings.

Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup of cranberries slightly chopped - frozen is fine (you may substitute red currants)
1/3 cup of chopped shitake mushrooms - fresh is best, but re-constituted dried will work (drain and remove stems)
1/2 cup red wine ( or cranberry juice )
2 X 2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp canola or olive oil
A meat thermometer is very handy

Method
Heat oven to 400F
Place the piece of loin on a board and sprinkle all lightly kosher salt and more aggressively with fresh ground pepper, rolling the meat in it is easiest. Heat a large heavy-bottomed oven proof frying type pan on the stove top over medium high heat. Add the oil and 2 Tbsp of butter, melt. Place the meat in the pan and brown quickly on all sides. Place it in the oven. This is where a digital meat thermometer is helpful. You are looking for the temperature in the centre of the meat to be 125 - 130 F - this will take 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the loin. At 130F remove from the oven. Place the meat on a plate and cover with a lid or foil. (the meat will continue to cook while you make the sauce) Do notgoody bits.

Now the sauce:
wash the meat pan, you need all those Place the pan that the meat was cooked in on the stovetop at medium heat. Add the cranberries and shitakes and sauté for several minutes until the berries start to break down. Add the wine and scrape all those goody bits off the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 3 - 4 minutes until it starts to thicken slightly , then add the butter. Taste and add salt if needed.
Slice the meat into serving portions and drizzle the sauce over top. Enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/meatcaulibeets-Copy.jpg

303Brit
05-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Awe comon man :icon_frow
Im sorry! I didnt mean it. .303's Are the best !! Especially thoes Brittish ones :mrgreen:

Okay, well PM inbound but you better bring lots-o-beers ;)

05-21-2010, 02:05 PM
ha ha ha ah

moosinaround
05-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Cut into medallions, lightly spice with pepper and salt, and cajun spice and grill in the BBQ with a smoke box of alder, or apple wood, or even mesquite. Cook till medium rare. Let rest for 5 min, and enjoy with a amber or pale ale. Moosin