PDA

View Full Version : Anti bear hunting propaganda on CBC

silvicon
04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
today (08 04) at 5:45 am CBC radio had an interview with a
'Jeff Spring' from Campbell River.
App. he is a bear viewing operator and runted agains bear hunters, MOE for allowing bear hunting, not monitoring enough.
Also accused black bear hunter breaking the law by shooting out of boats
and so on.
I was unable to find his name -or a listing of his business- on Canada411.
His business name was given as HurricanJeff something or other.
Any of you guys know of him?

Darksith
04-08-2010, 09:35 AM
its not illegal to shoot out of a boat as long as the prop is out of the water or the boat is turned off if its not an outboard.

Ozone
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Theres a Hurricane Jack that does whale/bear tours out of CR. I dont know him, just seen his truck around town.

JDR
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
today (08 04) at 5:45 am CBC radio had an interview with a
'Jeff Spring' from Campbell River.
App. he is a bear viewing operator and runted agains bear hunters, MOE for allowing bear hunting, not monitoring enough.
Also accused black bear hunter breaking the law by shooting out of boats
and so on.
I was unable to find his name -or a listing of his business- on Canada411.
His business name was given as HurricanJeff something or other.
Any of you guys know of him?

Did they (CBC) interview anyone from the other side - i.e. pro hunting? Just curious.

bigwhiteys
04-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Google Hurricane Jack Cambell River and you'll find him right away...

Carl

MichelD
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
It wasn't on CBC at 7:30 here on the mainland, nor was it posted on their site today.

troutseeker
04-08-2010, 01:23 PM
hurricanejackadventures.com. Look at his rates, no wonder he want's to "preserve" the wildlife, and of course exploit it for his personal gain... He's got a "contact us" link, be nice!

BCLongshot
04-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Geez dude thanks for posting this.

We were going to use him this summer and the bill was going to be over $ 1,000 !!!!

Just cancelled and told him why !

bigwhiteys
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
We were going to use him this summer and the bill was going to be over $ 1,000 !!!! Just cancelled and told him why !

That is AWESOME!!!! What did he say if you don't me asking?

Carl

Johnnybear
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM

We were going to use him this summer and the bill was going to be over $ 1,000 !!!!

Right on:cool:.

I'm going to go to CBC and listen to it.

striperjack
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
everyone should make a reservation...then cancel a month later

henderson
04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
On the same note just saw a magazine one of those 'healthy living magazines' and on the front cover was a picture of a griz so i flipped through. All it was about was how the bears are going extinct and how hunting is bad.. same bullshit different day.

When someone from our side going to be able to speak? Its bias! Im just starting to get into hunting excited as can be and here is all this bad publicity.

My mother in law is freaking out at me saying how hunting is bad. Harvesting 'bambi' or 'yogi' is evil. Yet she shells out hundreds of dollars a month on all this organic food. Whats more organic then lets say a big ole moose steak? No perservatives, no chemicals. Starting to vent now ill shut up. Just wanted to spit my two cents in.

silvicon
04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
To Answer some questions about my first post:
-it was 5:45 am and not at 7:30 am,
-nobody from the hunting site was interviewed,
-that bear watcher guy was on the telephon.

THX for posting the contact address. Could not find it in a hurry at 6 am.
Everyone here should send him an e-mail telling him what you think about his bs on public funded radio!

bigwhiteys
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
-nobody from the hunting site was interviewed,

They have had hunters on... My mother inlaw sent me this email today

Hi Carl,

Perhaps you’ve been listening … the past few mornings the CBC interviewed various people re the grizzly situation. On my way to work this morning I had the opportunity to hear Scott Ellis from the Guide Outfitters Assoc. He was very good … an excellent spokesman for your side!

Carl

BCLongshot
04-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Carl

Hadn't given him a deposit with the credit card yet. No answer on the phone so I sent'em a very firm e-mail telling him I'm no longer interested and asked him to call me.

Fallkniven
04-08-2010, 06:48 PM
This is not the only stuff on the CBC. I was listening to 'BC almanac' the other day and they did their usual anti Grizzley hunt spin. They had a guy there from the outfitters assoc, but it was obvious they were going to give him hard tiem.
I called in and i think I was the only telephone caller who spoke in favour of the hunting, all the others were anti's.
They do ask you what your'e point is, before they let you through to talk on the show, seems to me that could easily be manipulated.
Anyway, the whole show was tilted towards the anti's, though I thought the guy from the outfitters assoc did a good job, considering the odds stacked against him.

JDR
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Good to hear there was at least some representation from the pro-hunting side. I think if there ever happens to be an occasion where there is bias and not equal representation, we need to call them on it, whether it be CBC or anyone else. In the case of CBC, they have an ombudsman who should be contacted if we feel they are not being fair. The office of the ombudsman website states the following:

Principles
The CBC is fully committed to maintaining accuracy, integrity and fairness in its journalism. As a Canadian institution and a press undertaking, the CBC is committed to compliance with a number of principles. Foremost among those is our commit-ment to scrupulously abide by the journalistic code of ethics formulated in our own handbook of journalistic standards and practices which stresses lack of bias in reporting. We are committed to providing information that is factual, accurate and comprehensive. Balanced viewpoints must be presented through on-the-air discussions. As it is for other public and private journalistic undertakings, credibility in the eyes of the general population is our most valuable asset and must be protected. The Ombudsman is completely independent of CBC program staff and management, reporting directly to the President of CBC and, through the President, to the Corporation’s Board of Directors.

troutseeker
04-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Way to go. The only way some people will change is once they get hit in the pocketbook. Hey, I'm all for the preservation of species, within limits, we must all remember that evolution is a great killer and species going extinct are a natural part of this world. Remember the dinosaurs?.

The anti's are are making strong arguments based on shaky science and skewed statistics. David Suzuki and his irk are putting oil on the fire and making a very nice living with their speaking engagements and such.

We must present a united front and persist while maintaining our cool and not letting out emotions dictate our words or actions.

Thar being said, I apply every year and when I get drawn my boss will have to wait until I get my grizzly for me to get back to work. I don't care if I'll be off work for six weeks!

Darksith
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Hey, I'm all for the preservation of species, within limits, we must all remember that evolution is a great killer and species going extinct are a natural part of this world. Remember the dinosaurs?
Wow, Im all for hunting when the species population can handle it, and it can, but that was a pretty stupid thing you just said.

More species have gone extinct in the last 200 years b/c of mankinds actions than in the last 1000 years due to evolution. You have to tip your hat at the people that think they are doing a service to the planet even if they got their facts wrong on this 1.

troutseeker
04-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow, Im all for hunting when the species population can handle it, and it can, but that was a pretty stupid thing you just said.

More species have gone extinct in the last 200 years b/c of mankinds actions than in the last 1000 years due to evolution. You have to tip your hat at the people that think they are doing a service to the planet even if they got their facts wrong on this 1.

Do you think that mankind's actions are not part of evolution?:mrgreen: Hey, hold on you called me stupid!:wink: I think I heard of you, aren't you a dinosaur?:-D

troutseeker
04-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Do the research about bear populations and tell me these bear watchers are no just in it for the money!!!! They will do just about anything with the media to have as many bears as possible for their paying viewers so they can make as much money as possilble. They couldn't give a rat's *ss about the creatures that they view as long as the money keeps flowing.

Get that straight then start talking about mankind and his way's:?.

Huh? You did read my earlier post's did you not? If so you may have read the part where I said they were in it for the money? Or maybe you missed that?

I know plenty well that bear populations are doing great! It's the other dude who stated that mankind was responsible for lots of extinction... My point is that mankind's behavior and the consequences from it are simply part of evolution. Evolution implies no deity's involvement in the way our world was created and has, and is evolving. Humans are part of this and whatever actions they take are therefore part of evolution. Did any of you ever read JP Sartre or any existentialist's?

Man I wish English had been my first language, then maybe I would be understood... Thanks for participating in this thread! And remember, bear make great sausage.

Johnnybear
04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
And remember, bear make great sausage.

Yes they do:-D!

westview
10-02-2010, 07:43 PM
CBC is junk!