PDA

View Full Version : Gwillim Lake

Ambush
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
My SIL goes to Tumbler for work sometimes and I know a young lady that is now working in town also. I have never made the trip to Tumbler and I should remedy that this spring/summer.

Is Gwillim Lake a good place to start and camp for a few days. Should I drag a 19' boat in or will a Zodiac do? How's the fishing and what can I expect to catch? Take Quads for some fun touring??

I'll have a camper on a 4X4, but also my wife who is, at best, luke-warm on camping, but likes hiking if the scenery is good.

Visiting the Falls a must do??

elkdom
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
My SIL goes to Tumbler for work sometimes and I know a young lady that is now working in town also. I have never made the trip to Tumbler and I should remedy that this spring/summer.

Is Gwillim Lake a good place to start and camp for a few days. Should I drag a 19' boat in or will a Zodiac do? How's the fishing and what can I expect to catch? Take Quads for some fun touring??

I'll have a camper on a 4X4, but also my wife who is, at best, luke-warm on camping, but likes hiking if the scenery is good.

Visiting the Falls a must do??

the Provincial Park (on site manager)campsites are some of the best,paved road off highway, boat launch, fishing for trout and lake trout, lake is cold and DEEP, all types of wildlife from Gbears, blk bears, moose deer and elk,
long weekends are fairly busy, bit other times quite serene,
a zodiac would be great with a kicker, lots of hiking trails, etc:wink:

Kinuso falls and Monkman Provincial park another great place, although the road in can have lots of potholes(gravel) but again Great Provincial campsites, usually very quiet , good fishing some parts of the River,check the Fishing Regs for River openings and limits!

GoatGuy
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Far end of the lake with a 7-8 wt or better fly rod something gawdy, a pair of polarized shades and you're in for some seriously fun pike fishing all 10+. Think it took 30 minutes or more to get down there in a tin can but the fishing was worth it.

Ambush
04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks, that's good enough for me.

I didn't know there was pike in there as well.:-D I have not targeted pike for many years and then it was often with a bow or .22.

Anytime after May long weekend should be good??

DCURR
04-08-2010, 05:28 PM
My son caught a couple of big ones just off the dock there a few years ago

moose hide
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
yes -go see the water falls,unreal.. just before you enter the park by the falls take a hike on the trail to the left. take a fly rod. little lake, it's like a volcano hole. drops off really deep 3 feet out. monster brookys. cann't eat them-sulfur-gas??? taste really bad, but lots of fun. watch out for the wildlife on the road. moose hide