PDA

View Full Version : Is this bear worth going after

dino
04-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Ive never bear hunted before and I would like a mature one. Is this guy worth going after?
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/IM000014.jpg

Jasoneliason
04-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Looks pretty nice.. Not a monster but nice

Steeleco
04-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Dinner for sure, rug maybe?? If I see him, he's toast LOL

gutpile
04-06-2010, 01:26 AM
For your first bear for sure,take him.From nose to tail i would say he's at lest 51/2- going close to 6 foot.

hunter1947
04-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Thats a keeper bear for sure I would take him..

Summit 512
04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
He looks like a keeper to me.....

04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Not only does he look like a decent bear but it is down hill to where you are!

Poguebilt
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
for sure!!! :mrgreen:

Caribou_lou
04-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Just squeeze the trigger!

Iron-Head
04-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Honestly? I think every one who is saying whack this bear as a mature blacky, is a little blood thristy after the slow winter months...

Here is my opinion after judging hundreds and hundreds of black bears,

He is weak in the rear end, if it slopes down from the joint in the hips he hasnt grown up yet.. He has a pointy nose like wiley coyote ='s small bear.. If you have your heart set on a mature bear hold out!! In my first year hunting spring blackies I was in your situation and if I had of dropped the first one I saw I would have missed out on a very mature boar.

Bears are one of the most prominent species in B.C. I'll garuntee you find a bigger one if you hold out..

As for the rest of you telling him to whack it, go hunting!

Iron'

04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Honestly? I think every one who is saying whack this bear as a mature blacky, is a little blood thristy after the slow winter months...

Here is my opinion after judging hundreds and hundreds of black bears,

He is weak in the rear end, if it slopes down from the joint in the hips he hasnt grown up yet.. He has a pointy nose like wiley coyote ='s small bear.. If you have your heart set on a mature bear hold out!! In my first year hunting spring blackies I was in your situation and if I had of dropped the first one I saw I would have missed out on a very mature boar.

Bears are one of the most prominent species in B.C. I'll garuntee you find a bigger one if you hold out..

As for the rest of you telling him to whack it, go hunting!

Iron'

Dont listen to this man, Shoot:mrgreen: can i go hunting now?

silvertipp
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
iron head thats quit the intell from that picture,imo from this picture i would say without a dout that its a mature bear,it would help to have a better picture without any trickery involved ,as far as an eater id shoot that ber in a heart beet if you want a mount its all in the eye of the beholder

BlacktailStalker
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Number one rule I go by on bears is if you have to think about it, he's not big enough.
You'll know right away.

Looks like an old sow to me. A lot bigger than some of the dinks that were showing up on here last year thats for sure.
A super early bear like that will have an awesome coat on it, I woud think in terms of that (certainly you arent shooting a mature bear for better meat) it'd be a great one to take. Good luck!

ratherbefishin
04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
absolutely-the reason?-because he's UPHILL from you!Now just take a rest, wait until it turns broadside,and put the crosshairs right on the point of the shoulder,and squeeze the trigger-that bear isn't going anywhere

bullmagnum
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Its pretty hard to judge the size of the bear (length) from a picture. All you have to draw perspective from is a few deadfalls and some bush...he could be 8' and none of us would be the wiser! That said, I doubt hes that big. I agree that the small rump could be an indication of a younger bear, but hes definitely no 2 year old. As for his weight, you have to remember hes just outta the winter hide, and his hair'll be a little thicker and longer, which can trick even the wiliest of bear hunters. Always assume the early bear youre looking at, is a step smaller than what he appears to be. That said, I would definitely shoot him, he looks like he'd make a nice rug! :)

BiG Boar
04-06-2010, 01:17 PM
next time you go back there, look for his tracks, measure them and then you will know what size of bear most accuratley.

MidnightRun
04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Shoot it, buy yourself another black bear tag, then be picky.

leadpillproductions
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Its a nice bear

dino
04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Here is another view but I dont think it helps much.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/IM000015.jpg

huntwriter
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
It's a black bear and we have to many here in BC, he would be down if he walked past me.:)

srupp
04-07-2010, 12:20 AM
hmmm well well..the second picture in fact does help...at least for me..

I would drop him for meat..but I doubt hes a "big " trophy bear...as the back end is weak..as well the "sides" are not filled out even considering a spring bear..

The coat looks nice..but as there are lots of blackies around I wouldnt waste any time concentrating on this bear..

I feel he is a typical 5 1/2 footer..ish...theres lots more that big and bigger..

For me I feel a 6 foot black is "trophy" quality with a exellent hide, and the overall impression of this bear is he is just another blackie..

All in all the photoes even together dont give me a reason to target this one..

my .02

steven

MFERGIE
04-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Diddo! Nice bear indeed, and although mature not as big as you may be looking for. First bear of the season is always the hardest to judge. If your looking for a good mature bear you will hardly notice his ears and he'll have a good space between them. This bear could also very well be a sow bear, so it would depend greatly on what your expectations are. Kudos for not pulling the trigger when in doubt!

Iron-Head
04-07-2010, 09:29 AM
iron head thats quit the intell from that picture,imo from this picture i would say without a dout that its a mature bear

You need to go sit behind some glass and spend time judging black bears..

The originator of the thread asked what we thought of the bear.. I gave him an honest answer. If he wants to shoot a dink, then drop this one. Incase you didnt notice he said he wants a nice mature black bear, this bear would be a let down if you had your hopes up.

Iron'

eaglesnester
04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Not enough info in the photograph and from the angle hard to judge to make a sound judgement. If I had to make a split second decision on this one I would say no he is not a shooter. Wait for a bigger one. When you see one you will immediately know it, believe me, you will not have to take a picture and ask.

Cheers & TIghter Groups: Eaglesnester

sceddy
04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Number one rule I go by on bears is if you have to think about it, he's not big enough.
You'll know right away.

Looks like an old sow to me. A lot bigger than some of the dinks that were showing up on here last year thats for sure.
A super early bear like that will have an awesome coat on it, I woud think in terms of that (certainly you arent shooting a mature bear for better meat) it'd be a great one to take. Good luck!

I agree, if you have to think about it, it's likely not a big one, and it does look like an old sow.

wolverine
04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
You kidding? Bang! Done. Nothing wrong with that bear especially for a meat bear.

Mik
04-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Definately worth going after! then when you spot him, you'll know wheather to shoot or not! its been said already, and i'll repeat it. If you have to think about it, then its too small for your liking!

snareman1234
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
lol howd you get that pic, was he on a game trail?

MFERGIE
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM

This my first bear taken in 2008, second bear I had seen that opening. After making a very quick judgment of 6' at 150 yards, and the brown colour phase only adding to my excitment, I pulled the trigger. After inspecting my kill, she meaured 5'6'' and indeed was a sow bear. Although I was still super happy, she was not what I had my heart set on! Since this kill I have taken some time and went up to a friends bear hunting lodge on the coast with the soul purpose of bear watching. Remember that "mature" as defined is three years of age or better, with no height restrictions. Set standards before you head afield and it makes the hunt so much more enjoyable when you get the one you want!

ratherbefishin
04-07-2010, 03:06 PM
shoot now and save a fawn-besides bear sausage is excellent

dino
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
lol howd you get that pic, was he on a game trail?
It was on a trailcam and I first saw the bear on a deer kill. Ive seen him a few other times but not really close to a road anywhere. Possiblly a small pack to a quad.

dougan
04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
listen to iron!!!!!!!!

Caveman
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
He's got about a 9 months head start on you, tracks might be a little old,,,,Good Luck

silvertipp
04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
You need to go sit behind some glass and spend time judging black bears..

The originator of the thread asked what we thought of the bear.. I gave him an honest answer. If he wants to shoot a dink, then drop this one. Incase you didnt notice he said he wants a nice mature black bear, this bear would be a let down if you had your hopes up.

Iron'
thats a real nice comment the original question on the thread was he would like a Mature Bear not nice,huge or enormous just mature now being the jim shockey expert that you are its hard to deny that this is indeed a mature bear not a hugebear but definately a nice bear,i am not knocking your experiance,just thought i too had an opinion as well as several others that would shoot this bear

hardnocks
04-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Its to early in the season to settle for that little guy if you want a rug . If you want sausage shoot him.

dino
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I take it that this is a small bear and not worth going after for a rug.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/IM000120.jpg

Kirby
04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Dino, I would say too small for a rug... nice color, but give'em a couple of years to fill out.

Kirby

shaner338
04-07-2010, 11:40 PM
That's a young one but he has awesome color!

04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Ya,
Too small. Looks like his hide is not so hot in the rear anyhow.
But you see the size of the ears in the second pic, They look big.
And in the first pic they look a bit smaller.
When you cant tell but for the lump o' fuzz that is when you have a big one. The first pic is meat the second is a sighting.

ratherbefishin
04-08-2010, 08:44 AM
gorgeous color though-but how come most of the colour phases seem to be smaller bears?-is that because they get shot-or do they not get as big as their black cousins?[I don't recall seeing a 6'+ cinnemon bear]

Kirby
04-08-2010, 10:06 AM
gorgeous color though-but how come most of the colour phases seem to be smaller bears?-is that because they get shot-or do they not get as big as their black cousins?[I don't recall seeing a 6'+ cinnemon bear]

They get shot. Everybody wants a colored rug.

Kirby

coach
04-08-2010, 12:30 PM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/DouglasLakeBearJuly82007004_0002.jpg

I've posted this picture before - but this was a mature color phase bear over 6'

kgriz
04-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Good luck telling how big a bear is from a picture unless you have something in the frame that you know the exact size of and its right beside him!!! "Rules of thumb" may be good for thumbs but thats about it in my opinion.....which is backed up with many dead bears....That being said, every truly large early bear I've seen appears to have really gangly legs as they are probably skinny out of the den and long legs shows a big frame...a big pot belly this early in the spring usually suggests a smaller compact bear. I've shot and walked up to numerous bears that I'm pleasantly surprised with and some that I'm disappointed with......what they all had in common was that none of them were going to try and eat me at work anymore!!

RiverOtter
04-09-2010, 09:19 PM
The really big bears come out of the den with plenty of fat still in tow...

Much to be said for eating what you want, when you want, and where you want, cause no other bear in the area is big enough to run you off.

kgriz
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
My mistake....guess that I haven't gotten any "really big bears"....truth be told I just shoot as many as I'm allowed , feed them to my dogs and sort out which ones are big after:???:

X-man
04-10-2010, 02:21 AM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/DouglasLakeBearJuly82007004_0002.jpg

I've posted this picture before - but this was a mature color phase bear over 6'

I like this bear...
I'd switch him before he made 2 steps!
Chickchick BOOM!

The other one pictured at the begging would live another day...Unless I had my Son with me...He'd switch him off before it made 2 steps! :mrgreen:

Depends on what you want I suppose.

RiverOtter
04-10-2010, 09:38 AM
My mistake....guess that I haven't gotten any "really big bears"....truth be told I just shoot as many as I'm allowed , feed them to my dogs and sort out which ones are big after:???:

Wasn't takin' a jab attcha man, just relating my personal observations. I've shot plenty of 6' interior bears as well, and while they are nice mature specimens, they pale in comparison to the top end 6' -7' plus bears.

Case in point, I dumped a 7'1"(squared) May bear a few years back that could have stepped out of his den, taken a piss, and went right back to sleep for another 6 months. He was grossly fat, and hadn't even sniffed his first fawn/berry yet....

jackychiles
04-10-2010, 10:20 AM
He looks delicious. Shoot him