PDA

View Full Version : ***** Target Bows *****

Ruger4
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Anyone have any info or tried the new Elite "Judge" ..................

Ruger4
04-06-2010, 02:01 PM
or the SR 71 ?

Bow Walker
04-06-2010, 02:05 PM
The only one that I've handled/shot would be the GT500 and that was an '08 model.

Wonderful bow, though. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I would hardly call either one on those "Target Bows" as they have about a 6" brace and are smokin' fast ....

I have been looking for a Strouthers SR-71 for some time to play with ...

Ruger4
04-06-2010, 05:18 PM
The only one that I've handled/shot would be the GT500 and that was an '08 model.

Wonderful bow, though. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Thats what Ive heard as well Bow Walker , great all around bow from what I've heard , 3d , TARGET and hunting

Bowzone_Mikey
04-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Thats what Ive heard as well Bow Walker , great all around bow from what I've heard , 3d , TARGET and hunting
I am assuming you talk FITA when you say target????

the GT 500 abosolutly ... not so much with the Judge, short AtA and small brace .. not desirable when it comes to target shooting as they are inheirtly unstable and not forgiving at all ...

still a great bow but you will never see them on top of any high end target competition ... not because they are not a "power company" like PSE, Hoyt etc....their designers (I am not sure about the Judge on who designed it But I am thinking it was on the sheets before Kate and Kevin left Elite) have designed many bows of the "big boys" ..but you wont see them at the high end FITA shoots because of their specs .... they are designed to be Treestand hunting bows ... short and fast

Ruger4
04-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I could be wrong but I think the Gt 550 and the Judge have the same
a-to-a with an inch difference in brace height to the judge. Myself I shoot and prefer the 6" brace height ,it seems to work best for me. Good consistant form has a lot to do with how the brace height plays out for most shooters. Not saying I have good form , just my opinion , thanx for the info , always interested

Bowzone_Mikey
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
specs for the GT-500. ATA 34 7/8'” BH 7 1/8”

specs for the Judge. 34 7/8 axle to axle 6" brace height

ok I apologize I was thinking the Judge was in the range of 31-32 AtA Evidently I was thinking of another bow .. again my apologies

The SR 71 is 33 5/8 AtA and 6 1/16 Brace

I know how you feel about short Brace Bows .. My Super Tec was 5 3/4" it taught me how to shoot .. I loved that thing ... kinda sad I got rid of it to a point ... my shoulder still isnt pre surg strong yet ... but its about 90% If I crepted with that bow I would certainly know it

dillybop
04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
ive shot a judge smooth but firm draw .My opinion would make a good 3d bow.

Jonas111
04-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree with Bowzone Mike, you need to get a true target bow and not worry so much about the speed. If you are good are yardage guessing then a target bow will be throwing darts all day long.

You need a new Triumph from Mathews. That would shoot very accurate for you in 3D and if you want to shoot paper you have the bow.

Just my .02 cents. :wink:

Bow Walker
04-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Most "target" bows do have a longer A2A, as compared with "hunting" bows. Target bows also have more mass to them - the thinking being that it's easier to hold bigger heavier bows a lot steadier than lighter shorter ones.

Also - target shooters use lighter arrow set-ups and gain a wack of speed that way. They typically shoot 60 lbs or better and with the lighter arrows, they attain speeds in excess of 300 fps on a regular basis.

Makes for close pin gaps and also lets the shooter use fewer pins.

Ruger4
04-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I agree with Ruger 4 , he's the real deal , you need to get a Elite " Judge" target bow and not worry so much about what Jonas says. If you are good at yardage guessing then a target bow will be throwing darts all day long.

Just my .02 cents. :wink:

2 thumbs up

Bowzone_Mikey
04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
2 thumbs up

I love a good Fix

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jonas111
04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I was getting confused there for a second, I thought maybe I wrote that after my hockey game and a few brews. I didn't remember writing that.

Too funny RUGER4.

It is tough decision buying a new bow for target archery. It is much easier buying a bow for hunting.

I just got my Triumph from Mathews last week and I am really enjoying this bow. Next step for me is to practice a lot with the bow as well as practice yardages.

Good luck Ruger in picking a new bow.

dave*
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Cant say I have shot any of the bows mentioned however,

I have shot my Hoyt Alphaburner with sureloc literally back to back with my Hoyt ProElite at 90 and 70 meters.

Scores have been within 5 points on average.

The Burner is a bit "twitchier" and less forgiving to form errors but that speed can sure get some points back at distance.

The Alphaburner is similar specs wise to some of the bows mentioned.

Long risered parralell limb bows hold deceptively well considering the shorter axle to axle.

Other than the brace height I wouldnt hesitate to shoot the Burner or a similar type bow in a FITA event.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-08-2010, 06:46 PM
what would speed have to do anything is Fita ... the distance is known ... its not like you are gonna dial 68 meters on the 70 meter line. In the right hands anybow can shoot ... I know a guy that has shot an indoor 300 round with a Hoyt Super Tec ... he shot a 300 27 X ... it can get better than that ..but not by much

Ruger4
04-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Cant say I have shot any of the bows mentioned however,

I have shot my Hoyt Alphaburner with sureloc literally back to back with my Hoyt ProElite at 90 and 70 meters.

Scores have been within 5 points on average.

The Burner is a bit "twitchier" and less forgiving to form errors but that speed can sure get some points back at distance.

The Alphaburner is similar specs wise to some of the bows mentioned.

Long risered parralell limb bows hold deceptively well considering the shorter axle to axle.

Other than the brace height I wouldnt hesitate to shoot the Burner or a similar type bow in a FITA event.

Thanx Dave for your feed back

Jonas111
04-09-2010, 08:08 AM
what would speed have to do anything is Fita ... the distance is known ... its not like you are gonna dial 68 meters on the 70 meter line. In the right hands anybow can shoot ... I know a guy that has shot an indoor 300 round with a Hoyt Super Tec ... he shot a 300 27 X ... it can get better than that ..but not by much

I think the speed is for 3D and not so much the FITA. We don't have very many FITA shoots in our area so it is something Ruger and I are interested in but we will most likely have to start a league of some sort in the fall.

Bow Walker
04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Speed means diddly-squat in FITA and/or Spots - or any target shooting from "known" distances.

The only place that speed can help/hurt you is in Hunting and 3D or anything where yardage judging is key to the shot.

And - yes - I just paraphrased Bowzone Mikey....because he's right, as usual. Just ask his wife.

dave*
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I may be wrong but it is my opinion ( and they are like @##holes everybodies got one)

But speed at the longer distance sure dont hurt.

I use the analogy of a fastball vs a slowpitch arcing soft ball.

Which will be more accurate?

RE the bows in question and groupings the Burner has a bit more of a lateral grouping pattern ( short BH and Torque related perhaps) , the Proelite very tight side to side but more of a spread in the up down groupings.

With my Proelite at 90m the arrows are essentially "out of downrange energy" and are falling like a rock. any up down errors are magnified .

This is shooting 6 arrow groups x 6=36 arrows.

Agreed known distance, speed shouldnt matter, I just think there are enough variables at distance that speed does help.

I am only going by my personal experience of shooting both bows back to back under identical conditions.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Bow Walker
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Your analogy about speed is right on. As for accuracy? Both are accurate in target situations - it's the shooter, not the bow.

Hunting situations are an entirely different thing. A slow-bow can lob an arrow over a limb or branch of a tree at 12 yards to kill that deer at 28 yards.

A speed bow will likely need a clearer shot to make the kill.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I understand the point you are making ... But if you know what your equipment is gonna do at what distance ...the speed it gets there dont matter at all ...

Now that said .. My target bow shoots faster than My hunting bow but my hunting arrows are considerably heavier and my single cam hunting bow is alot more user friendly than my dual Binary cams on my target bow

oldtimer
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Close range FITA speed is a non factor but I tell you when shooting out at 70Meters a little speed is nice especially when there is a breeze.I can only imagine what it would be like at 90.Speed is more accurate I feel in the wind. Speed and 3D helps when you misjudge your yardage. My 2 cents. Mike

Bowzone_Mikey
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Mike ... respectfully ... in breezy conditions ... i think FOC and arrow construction is more important than speed at distances ..... you typically wont see 300 fps at any Fita unless its with a hunting bow or a 3Der ... but you will see 250 -260 fps (with a compound and way less with an olympic recurve) with skinny little knittin needles and teeny tiny fletchings with a real heavy tungston Feild points

Now that said ... the Bow i am shooting in Fita this year is the same I am shooting in 3D ... I think I may just convert my hunting bow...either way I get 280 out of it shooting 370 grains and 60 pounds ... I acquired a set of ACEs Cheaply and gonna try them out ... The shape of the ACEs will certainly help as well ... being barreled and all .... but there is no way I need 100 grain points in them for 3D... I have some ACC 3-39s (340 grain total weight)with 70 grain points and they flew awesome out of my 60 pound Protec for 3D out to 50 yards at a fair speed as well (clocked at 270 ish in Lethbridge Nats) .. beyond that the wind had a bigger hand in them

snowtiger14
04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd have to agree with Jona111. I shoot an '04 Ovation, long AtA, long brace height(8 1/8"). Verrry forgiving, and a dream to shoot all day long!!!!