PDA

View Full Version : MSR Superfly -

BromBones
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Is this a decent quality, basic backpack stove?

My Primus stove shit the bed (again) - belches out a 2 ft high raw flame when you crank it up, so it's de-commissioned. Want to pick up a new one before next week when I do a couple nights bear hunting.

Poguebilt
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
you can not go wrong with any of the msr line... I have a whisperlite and its got many years of use and still works perfect

budismyhorse
04-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I own one, used it for a few years. Works faithfully.

MSR makes quality gear, I doubt you will have problems.

that being said, I own a primus stove as well and it has never caused a problem either. ......you may have bought one that was assembled on a friday.

Alpine85
04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I think the Superfly is a great stove for the early hunts. Used it last year on our October sheep hunt and found it fairly slow boiling water in cold temps compared to the Whisperlite. After the first day we would put the cannisters in our jacket prior to boiling to at least try and warm them up a bit. For August and into September sheep hunts the Superfly will be my stove of choice though as the weight savings is pretty dam good.
Terry

TyTy
04-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Are you sure it is the stove itself or maybe could it be the fuel container. Some models just need a new O-ring

BimmerBob
04-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I have an MSR Dragonfly and it is fantastic. I assume the Superfly is made to the same demanding specs by the same people so I would guess it will get the job done for you. I know MEC is not well respected on hunting boards but you might go to their web site and see if you can find any product reviews on the Superfly, their users are fairly candid and quite demanding of their gear.

Cheers, Bob

tuchodi
04-07-2010, 07:22 AM
I have both the Superfly and the Dragonfly. Both are real good stoves but for mountain hunting I prefer the Dragonfly as it is much more stable and the fuel lasts longer. I have found if you don't buy the fuel cannisters made by Superfly I have had some leak fuel and send out big flames and in a tent you don't want that.

BlacktailStalker
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I too vouche for the dragonfly.
Flawless for 6 years now.

springpin
04-07-2010, 05:21 PM
My Whisperlite is about 16 years old...NEVER had a problem...love this stove.