PDA

View Full Version : Anahim lake moose

slashhunter
04-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Just curious to see if any guys have hunted for moose up that way, im thinking about puting in for a draw up there.

35 Whelen
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Good Luck with that area.........they are pretty much shot out up there. I have a couple of friends who are locals and they haven't connected on a moose in several years

c.r.hunter
04-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Check through the regs before putting in. We had 2 draws for 5-12a one year. Huge area with no vehicle access, no atv's throughout the mu. However, you will see atv tracks everywhere you can't go. You will also likely notice that many of the locals ignore the vehicle restictions as well. Because of the road closures and large amount of tags, it was very busy. Good odds, but not an easy tag to fill. I never put in there again.

hillclimber
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
My uncle had a bull tag last season and they got one on the last evening of a 7 day trip i believe. He said there were lots of wild horses running around too. The bull he shot was the only moose they seen the entire trip. He put on 600 km's road hunting. The moose was 300+ yrds in a logged area and this was in early setpember (was very hot) and he said he wouldn't be filling out again this year. (At least not for a sept. hunt) There are better places to fill out for moose in the Cariboo.

MichelD
04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I went to 5-12A with a couple buddies who had LEH permits one year.

Never saw a moose, but found sawed off legs at a campsite. There's deer in some spots, but the area is well hunted by folks from the reserve.

Met some Americans from Colorado who'd bought a derelict old ranch up there and said they invited their friends from the States up there for hunting too. I wonder how that works?

Summit 512
04-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree with hillclimber,there is better places in the cariboo to hunt moose. The reserve people hunt hard year around,plus the wolf population is high. On a another note there is some good fishing lake there.

srupp
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
we were "in the area " last fall called in 13 bulls in 5 days...filled both tags in 4 days..BUT we flew in away from the BS that characterises"hunting" in the area..

steven

Ike
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Anahim Lake is in 5-12B. There are moose there but it is nothing like you find East of Alexis Creek. Road access from Hwy 20 is limited but if you can get away from the masses, such as fly into a more remote lake, you can do well as Steven can attest.

One of the best roads was closed to access about 5 years ago, legality of that closure is questionable and there are lots of moose (or used to be) there. Many people just drive around the gate.

It's always a trade-off in these areas, do you pick an area with lower chances of success but higher odds of drawing, or vise versa?

Hope that helps
Cheers

jubejube32
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
got a draw in 2006 up never seen one moose but lots of deer beatufil country though good luck on that and dont put in november maybe earlier is better

Blacktailz
04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
i had a draw around there last year and we didn't see a thing. there was little sign so thay are around. good luck

ve7iuq
04-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Moose pasture and conditions constantly change, of course, and it has been quite a lot of years since I had much to do with that area. But Anahim Lake is in a huge area of evergreen forest. Not good for moose. But, as I say, maybe logging had opened it up, permitting poplar and willows to grow. Same applies to Nimpo Lake (known as little California 50 plus years ago) and area to the south.
One Eye Lake used to be loaded with beaver and poplar. I would take a boat and hunt the north side, if you could.