PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Beagles?

Danimal
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I was wondering what people could tell me about beagles? Pro's/cons, I'd like something that could be with me a lot, could help with hunting, but would be a good companion dog. What are the opinions out there?

Martin_Hunter
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I was wondering what people could tell me about beagles? Pro's/cons, I'd like something that could be with me a lot, could help with hunting, but would be a good companion dog. What are the opinions out there?

I think Beagles look good,but I don't like them howling.There's something about howling that drives me crazy.

Jordo
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
send a PM to SReidy, he just got one last fall, he'll tell you all about his.

TRIPALM
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Im on my second one ,great companion for outdoors they love using their nose,they will hunt just about anything ,good noses but they can wander ,they will follow their nose anywhere.Great dog with kids.The one i have is a 15 inch ,good size for the boat ,truck and camper ,she rides on the quad also ,very smart (can be) any time she has taken off on track she has always found her way back to the truck and she just turned one

Danimal
04-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Right on! This is great

CanuckShooter
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
The ones we had in our neighborhood were always barking their fool heads off....I'd pick a smaller Lab [female] before a beagle at least you could teach the dog to be a birder!! Just an opinion, if you want a beagle...get one...:-D

RJ
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Like tripalm said there is a disconnect between the brain and nose, and they will follow their nose anywhere. My cousins Beagle was found in the neighbours fridges more than a few times. Good luck they are great looking dogs and great hunters but do as much research into the breed as you can. Im not sure they would stick with you much if you went into the bush.

huntcoop
04-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I've had 2, love 'em to death but never again. Unless they are trained to perfection (near impossible) they will never be able to be off leash. We have 2 small children and you can never leave them alone with food as the beagles will watch, wait and steal. They LIVE by their nose and stomach. Beautiful looking dogs, awesome with our children but.........their nose rules the roost. God bless them both but never again.

behemoth
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Beagles have a bad name because they do very poorly when locked up in a house(or crate) all day while the owner is at work. They will chew, howl and be a complete spazz when you get home.

If you have small children or can get it involved in a couple of activities a day, you will have a loyal, well tempered hound dog.

Beagles can be trained to flush uplands, trail rabbits and even deer. I love taking mine deer hunting, she stays close on heel and just loves hiking around the bush.

Dannybuoy
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Im on my second one ,great companion for outdoors they love using their nose,they will hunt just about anything ,good noses but they can wander ,they will follow their nose anywhere.Great dog with kids.The one i have is a 15 inch ,good size for the boat ,truck and camper ,she rides on the quad also ,very smart (can be) any time she has taken off on track she has always found her way back to the truck and she just turned one

Exactly ! I got mine @3 years old and he is great in the boat /quad but he will follow his nose , always comes back after about 1/2 hr to check on us though . I wonder if i could have trained him to stick close if I would have gotten him as a pup . I think alot of that comes from the parents , hunting stock is bred just for that . I will add though that mine rarely barks unless he has something to bark at and then it is only for a few minutes .

Doe
04-05-2010, 04:07 PM
If you get a howler its almost impossible to curb. They tend to need more from you than the average pet.

cavebear
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
some people hate the sound of a bay i personaly love it better than a dog that barks for the sake of barking. I never have had a beagle but ive got a bluetick and i walk him off leash all the time be consistent in your traing hounds love to hunt and they love to please their masters:-D oh and did i say be consistent, and consider an e-collar

300win
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Had one for 5 years now!!! first one, I love mine but you need too be consistent the first year of any dogs life is impressionable. There brain and nose tend to disconnect for sure but with time and lots of patience you will have a good hunting companion and best of all a good friend that will pretty much go anywhere with you!!! The hound bay is way better to listen too than a yappy barking mut!!! IMHO

Cdn-Redneck
04-05-2010, 05:28 PM
My last dog was a beagle. it was my first dog after I left home, probably not the best breed for a first dog. I found as others have said they can't be off leash as they just start sniffing and take off. It is almost impossible to call them back when they get on a scent. I loved the dog but they are not the easiest breed to work with. Wouldn't discourage you from getting one but know what you are in for with them. They are a pack dog and like to be with people or other dogs, not alone.

walker(bandit)
04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
well it is all about trainning i have one and two coon hounds they are easy to handle off leash if trained right our beagle is 1 now and the wife can take her down to the rive and walk her off leash with no problem if you want one there are things you should ask your self.

1 can i train this dog
2 do i have the time for a hound

if yes talk to your locak houndsmen for help with the nose over brains problems.

and yes they can do every thing people say they cant feel free to pm me for more details.

horshur
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
you can have a hound that listens.

it's pretty easy actually specially with a young dog.

blow a whistle every time before you feed. while walking the pup you can reinforce this with a treat being sure to once in a while blow the whistle when you notice the dog already heading your way.....don't overdo it. probably best to do this when they are a tad hungry.

and with this groundwork you can back it up with an E collar when they become more independent after a year or more if necessary

there is absolutely no reason why a hound cannot come when called.

keep them penned or leashed when unattended