PDA

View Full Version : The Magnum ego'$

Mooseman
03-18-2006, 08:59 PM
These last cartridge threads got me thinking. Isn't it funny how some smart marketing people cash in on the male ego. They play us like fiddles. I bet they are a bunch of bright girls and are laughing their heads off. My respect!
The word "Magnum" reminds me of a PI with a red Ferrari that always wins and gets all the chicks. The "RAM" the "TOUGH", if it helps to fluff someone's feathers just a bit more and gets him closer to be Arnold, Clint or Rambo, he feels good. Heck with a MAG on his shoulder and a RAM out on the road he is untouchable. It is kind of funny up to the part where we teach our young once "these are important priorities"!
Are they really? Is appearance to once pears that important, that it becomes the meaning of life?

The problem I have experienced with this trend as far as hunting is concerned, is that ethics got thrown out the window. With that I mean for example that many people shoot way to far because the print on the package tells them the bullet flies that far straight. It isn't telling them that it is unethical to take these high risk shots at living creatures. It isn't telling them that if the bullet hits a piece of grass that is will explode or just not reach it's target and possibly wound an animal. It isn't telling them to practice regularly to be able to shoot ok in hunting conditions. And we, me included in part, are buying in to this "I AM" for any price and are teaching the next generation that same thing. So now they start to live by that. They apply it to the rest of life and will learn only the hard way that this will get them in to trouble everywhere. "I dare you" is all it takes and they drive drunk. "You can't make that shot" and we try for sure.

I fired people because of that. I had clients on a "time out" and many years ago I had one actually flown out of camp. The male ego is a powerful thing. It potentially could harm hunting to a point where we can't defend some of the anti's arguments, because they are right at times. Some of these unethical occurrences shouldn't happened and they should not be tolerated by the rest or we will be called all the same.

There are many young hunters on this site. Lets teach them about ethics, shot placement, what kind of shots to take and when it is better to let it walk. What to do when the animal runs off after the shot and a little less about the "not so truthful hunting stories" that they then try to live up to and perhaps resort to unethical practices because of pear pressure.

timberhunter
03-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Very well worded and said. A job well done.

I've locked this thread and made it into a sticky, so that everyone can read it, enjoy it, and learn something from it.

Marc S.

Pm sent.

Foxer
03-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Moose - gee this looks AWEFULLY familiar :)