PDA

View Full Version : weimaraner wont swim

SuperNova
04-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I have a 2 year old weimaraner that wont go past his belly in the water any advice?he fell through the ice when he was young.

Tron
04-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Have you gone in the water and tried to call him in with treats? Does he play fetch? If so, you go in the water and throw to shore. If he likes doing thing's that make you happy he may bring it back to you in the water. Start off slow though (shallow). Wait until the weather is warmer so the cold is not the problem.

Hope this helps. I have not tried this but will soon as my GWP is 7 months and does not swim yet. He plays in the water and is slowly getting closer. Eventually I need him to retrieve birds for me so I hope this will work for me.

Good luck

Deer Sausage
04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Try waving your magic wand over him and turning him into a labrador retriever?

Failing that play games at the beach in warm weather. Use his favorite toy and keep the retrieves in the shallows. Eventually go out a tiny bit at a time. Swim with him. Good luck.

dutchie
04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Wiemeriners are not known to love the water. falling through the ice will not help!

does he have prey drive? interested in birds? If so use a pigeon or duck to through in the water for him to retrieve.

The wiems I know (3) will not go near the water... I think that him going up to his belly is a great start for that breed.

they like running over swimming... get them really interested in what ever they are retrieving and slowly wade into the water throwing the ball onto the shore... the dog will come to you to bring the ball to you, and slowly swing it out to the water and get deeper. I was training with a professional trainer in Pentiction and that is what we did for a GSP that would not touch the water.

Another way is get in a boat, with NO ONE ELSE AROUND (because the dog will just get comforted by the other people) and just paddle out and call the dog... sporting breeds want to be with you, he will finally come in, and when the dog does, act like a raving lunitic with praise!!!! REALLY go over the top.

hope this helps

Dutchie

john-brennan
04-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Your weimaraner is similar to my english pointer in every aspect of fur, build ect. my pointer did not mind getting wet but swimming is something they are not fond of but mine with patience and time at the beach be came a swimmer. I took a freinds beagle with us and we threw sticks and other favorites fetching items and I was in the water when it was warmer calling her and after a couple months she was on her own, do not force her in the water but don't give up it takes time.

SuperNova
04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
thanks for the ideas everyone,i thought with the webbed feet he would be a natural to the water.going out tommorrow wish me luck hahah.

RJ
04-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't go swimming right now either! My rotties not a natural swimmer but if I carry him out deep he will start swimming around, and pretty soon is going back out on his own.

.300wsm
04-06-2010, 10:30 PM
bird feathers, like a wing, or a grouse fan if you dont have a dead bird. tie it to a rod or stick like teaching them to point. lead em out to the water keeping close but not able to get it. then eventually allowing em to retriev it. My gsp wouldn't go in at first for anything but feathers. ball's, sticks toys no go. Feathers diff story..

Spy
04-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I have a 2 year old weimaraner that wont go past his belly in the water any advice?he fell through the ice when he was young.

I had a cross weimaraner / Dalmation best god dam bird dog,tracking dog best friend a man could ever have.
Named SPY.:wink:

He had the same problem even though his brothers & sisters were great swimmers he just did not want to swim.(I threw him in when he was a pup big mistake)When he reached two years old & duck season was coming quick,I needed him to swim.
Finally after doing what everybody on here suggested with no success.
I stripped down to my birthday suit put the leash on him & we went swimming.
He became a great water dog.:wink:

There are two things you have to teach a weimaraner Pointing & swimming.
Good luck. ps. Wait for summer:-D

kebes
04-06-2010, 11:30 PM
We had a lab that was like that for a little while.....just carried him out and as soon as you let him go he would b-line it to shore. Pretty soon he realized it wasn't so bad, then you couldn't keep him out of the water :D.