PDA

View Full Version : ground meat jerky

moose hide
04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
hi people. Anyone out there make ground meat jerky-moose-deer-elk. mix it with real spices, then shoot it out a jerky gun ,then into the dehydrater.
I have the meat, the jerky gun, the spices and the dehydrater. just need a little help with putting a recipe together without using this premixed stuff from the store. might save myself some time and trial and error. don't want to waste my meat if i can help it. Thank you Moose hide

.308win
04-04-2010, 05:42 PM
I use groud meat all the time........but I use the store bought pre-mixed spices.

Perry

peashooter
04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Premix, when I do the burger jerkey. Saves time and hastle. Mix different ones to customize flavors.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-04-2010, 06:02 PM
here is one I use ... I got it from Cooks.com

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. Xtra lean ground beef
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a good sized mixing bowl. Use your hands to make sure the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout the meat. Refrigerate the mixture for at least a couple of hours or up to 24 hours for a stronger flavor. Roll the meat out in strips or patties and dry in 150 degree oven with the door ajar for 4 to 8 hours. Drying time will vary depending on humidity and the fat content of the meat. Once removed from the oven jerky is cooled and stored in an open container to allow drying to continue. Seal the container to prevent further drying. Store in refrigerator or freezer.

I use Venison, elk or bear in place of beef
I usually do 15-20 pounds at a time so I multiply all ingrediants by 10 ...
Use my jerky gun and its very yummy

Since I was diagnosed with Diabetes .. I will use the Brown sugar Splenda blend (the instructions for that is 1/2 cup Splenda blend = cup of Brown ... so it would equate to 7.5 Tbsp

just google Hamburger jerky recipes and you will have alot at your disposal ... My kids like this one the most of all I have tried ...it also happens to be near the top of the search list

moose hide
04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks mike, I have the same trouble with sugar. I'll give it a shot.
moose hide

thetackdriver
04-04-2010, 07:51 PM
here is one I use ... I got it from Cooks.com

I use Venison, elk or bear in place of beef
I usually do 15-20 pounds at a time so I multiply all ingrediants by 10 ...
Use my jerky gun and its very yummy

Since I was diagnosed with Diabetes .. I will use the Brown sugar Splenda blend (the instructions for that is 1/2 cup Splenda blend = cup of Brown ... so it would equate to 7.5 Tbsp

just google Hamburger jerky recipes and you will have alot at your disposal ... My kids like this one the most of all I have tried ...it also happens to be near the top of the search list

Hey is this the recipe you used for your bear last year because that turned out really good I though

Bowzone_Mikey
04-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I cant recall Steve ... I made a couple differant jerkys with that last year ... I know Featherstones dog ate alot of this recipe when I gave a bunch to Kelly ....

500grhollowpoint
04-04-2010, 09:19 PM
I like the backwoods jerky mix, and I tried to duplicate it. And I hate the jerky guns. I roll it on the table between 2 garbage bags and then bake on a cookie sheet. Then cut into strips and finish off in the smoker... using the gun you can only get half as much. I still haven't perfected the recipie

moose hide
04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys, i'll play with the recipes you have given me. we shall see if i can creat a perfect batch. i'll post my results for all to see at a later date.
Will be nice to pack some for hunting and fishing trips this year. I like to take a zip lock bag and fill it with mix nuts and little chunks of meat and if you eat sugar get the stuff with smarties in it. this is what we do when deer hunting at the gang ranch. thanks moose hide

d6dan
04-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Moosehide. I picked up a couple of spice'n slice mixes just south of the border. Heres the web site if your interested. www.spicenslice.com (http://www.spicenslice.com)
I use it for buffalo jerky.

goatdancer
04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I like the backwoods jerky mix, and I tried to duplicate it. And I hate the jerky guns. I roll it on the table between 2 garbage bags and then bake on a cookie sheet. Then cut into strips and finish off in the smoker... using the gun you can only get half as much. I still haven't perfected the recipie

What do you mean by " using the gun you can only get half as much "?

Bowzone_Mikey
04-05-2010, 04:38 PM

I was wondering that myself ...perhaps he refers to the thickness of the strips he cant spread it out as thin as he can forming by hand ... that said ..much thinner than tip puts out would be like paper when its done ...

on another note ... has anyone ever put a ground fiber like flax seed into their burger jerky? I am thinking about triing this to see how it turns out to help make a source of protien and fiber

303Brit
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
The recipe BZ Mike added is a good base line, depending on how you like your jerky add too it. I make basically 3 versions off of that recipe
Regular- only difference is I add 2tsp of Montreal steak spice
Cajun or Hot - I add Crushed chillies or cajun seasoning 2 tsp or there abouts
Sweet hot - either with sweet chilli sauce or crushed chillies and maple syrup

I use a store bought one sometimes as well carried at walmart called Wild west seasonings $8/15lbs its pretty good. They make brines, jerky mixes, sausage, and pepperoni mixes. Plus they are Canadian
http://wildwestseasonings.com/

500grhollowpoint
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Oops I mean it takes up twice as much room on the oven rack....you have to space it out. Therefore you only get half as much in the oven...