PDA

View Full Version : Takla to Ft. St James paddle?

BromBones
04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Been looking in to this trip for some time now, by canoe from Takla Lake, down the Middle & Tachie rivers on down to Stuart Lake. Looking to gather up some more info, so if anyone's done the trip or been on any of that water I'd like to hear about it.

With what I've learned so far, it seems the wind on the lakes may be the biggest issue for slowing a guy down - early morning/evening paddling would probably be the ticket if that's the case. Also some grade II stuff on the rivers which is bugger all.

Figured on giving 14 days to do the trip. Probably go fairly light as it'd most likely just be me and the dog + basic gear (most likely the same as a backpack hunt) along with some fishing tackle.

Thanks

BromBones.

Dirty
04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I know a few people that have done it by boat. Stuart is a nasty lake. I remember fishing there as a kid and getting sea sick. :mrgreen:

Sitkaspruce
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
BB

I will send you a PM tomorrow with a bunch of info.

Fun trip with lots to see and do.

Have you looked at the Nation river chain as well??

Cheers

SS

BromBones
04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
BB

I will send you a PM tomorrow with a bunch of info.

Fun trip with lots to see and do.

Have you looked at the Nation river chain as well??

Cheers

SS

Perfect! Looking forward to it.

Haven't really thought about the Nation River route but would like to look into it some time.

Got plans with a few others to do the Spatsizi headwaters to Stikine bridge drift, most likely next summer. Would like to do the Takla route this August, after my Stone's sheep hunt.

BlacktailStalker
04-04-2010, 09:46 PM
That sounds awesome. Have a safe trip.

blacklab
04-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I've done the Stuart Lake to Driftwood river trip many times by boat. The channel is a little tricky but no real bad water. I've met a couple of groups that did the trip by canoe, no problem. If you had the time, the Northwest arm of Takla and the lower Driftwood is nice country and great fishing.
I keep thinking of doing the trip by boat again, someday.

takla1
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
The big lakes there can blow up in a hurry,id be carefull , and use your best judgement,stay closer to the shore especially on stuart.Middle river drift can be awesome in good weather.Late spring would be a good time to nail a bear along the shore,some big ones in that country.Keep a eye open for Jade at the creek mouths,if your a rock hound.fishing can be deadly also trolling slowly on the drift.Beautiful senerythru Trembeur lake with lots of wildlife along the shores

BromBones
04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Great info guys, thanks.

Probably wont be too concerned with doing any hunting - just drift & do some fishing, and smoke a cigar or two along the way;) Maybe toss my goldpan in for the hell of it.

GoatGuy
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
I looked at it flying over in the past. The lakes can whip up in a hurry. The Nation would be the drift of choice.

ve7iuq
04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
No use taking your gold pan on that water way.
Like everyone is saying, those lakes can whip up a mighty big storm, mighty fast. Early morning would be the best time of safe travel, as evening storms are common.