PDA

View Full Version : Extinct

kastles
04-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I picking up some 30-06 and 12 guage ammo from Canadian Tire last Wednesday night and the cashier asked if we were going shooting while camping on the long weekend. When I told her yes we are hunting black bears she exclaimed "What? I thought they were extinct!" And then "I don't think I like you guys any more" when I told her they definitally were not extinct and very huntable. Once she found out that we take all edible portions and eat it, kind of like a cow or pig, she warmed up to it and even wished me good luck. Then we saw no bears and decided not to set up the tent in the typhoon. Hope others had better luck.

kastles

houndogger
04-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I shot the last Black Bear last fall!:mrgreen:

SHAKER
04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Like I've been saying.... educate the public cause lots of them don't have a functioning brain that can think for itself. You just might have turned a complete dough head into a less confused person.:twisted:

lilhoss
04-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes,there is a big difference between the truth and propaganda.I like a good argument once and a while(just ask my wife..),but I make sure I am well educated on the topic.

yukon john
04-03-2010, 01:44 PM
jeez i guess i will stop wasting gas hunting if they are extinct

mark
04-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Its funny, sometimes i meet people, (not antis, just non hunters) who think that there must be few if any bears left simply because they dont see any.

yes I enlighten them!

shaner338
04-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Its funny, sometimes i meet people, (not antis, just non hunters) who think that there must be few if any bears left simply because they dont see any.

yes I enlighten them!

X2.. This happens to me all the time.

You should hear the responses I get about going grizzly hunting this year.
...Their: portected, endangered, closed..........heard some of this even from "hunters":?

ryanb
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Some people live very sheltered lives. When I drive anywhere in the spring in BC I usually see 5-10 bears a day along the road. How anyone can live their life in BC without ever seeing a bear baffles me.

moosinaround
04-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I picking up some 30-06 and 12 guage ammo from Canadian Tire last Wednesday night and the cashier asked if we were going shooting while camping on the long weekend. When I told her yes we are hunting black bears she exclaimed "What? I thought they were extinct!" And then "I don't think I like you guys any more" when I told her they definitally were not extinct and very huntable. Once she found out that we take all edible portions and eat it, kind of like a cow or pig, she warmed up to it and even wished me good luck. Then we saw no bears and decided not to set up the tent in the typhoon. Hope others had better luck.

kastles

"I don't think I like you guys anymore"????? Like WTF??? Who, in the service industry says those types of statements?? Would have went somewhere else AFTER I had a chat with her boss!! Boy customer service is getting bad these days!!

moosinaround
04-03-2010, 11:03 PM
OHHH and, the title of your post resembles customer service at Canadian Tires and Home Depots ect. EXTINCT!!!

moosinaround
04-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Holy Crap Just today I was at Home Depot and had the SHITTIEST customer service, I actually freaked out a bit to my poor wife, and a fellow in an orange smock come skulking out from the next isle, and tried to help but had NO idea what so ever what he was doing!!

moosinaround
04-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Sorry for the hijack!!:oops: Moosin

mrc
04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I moved to van island 5 years ago. Spend as much time as possible in the bush, one day at work I was talking to a co-worker about the weekend and mentioned that I had seen a herd of elk. He told me that he had never seen a elk in his 32 years on the island. Wow almost every time I drive off paved roads, I can spot elk. I think that alot of town people really dont realize what is in their own backyard here in bc....funny if you ask me.

mrc
04-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Nothin to do with bears but..

kastles
04-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Moosinaround: I could have freaked out and given her shit, her managers shit and they would have turned around and given her more shit. As it went though, she and the others in the line up are a little more educated about our sport and another way of putting meat on the table. She wished us luck. Had I gone the other route and raised a stink she, and everyone in the lineup, would had a real bad view on all hunters. On a side note I got lucky when I walked in managed to see one of the elusive floor helpers in sporting good when I walked in. :)

kastles

Gunner
04-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Some people live very sheltered lives. When I drive anywhere in the spring in BC I usually see 5-10 bears a day along the road. How anyone can live their life in BC without ever seeing a bear baffles me.Bears are few and far between in Kitsalino and Yaletown where most of these idiots live. Gunner

ty_davis34
04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Moosin, that was possibly the best vent of the month!

I agree with everything said in this post.. My saleswoman at the car dealership was SHOCKED by the thought of me being a hunter.. "well, I don't agree with it.." to which I respond "ever seen a slaughter house? I have, and I prefer to do it myself... Enjoy your steak dinner tonight ;)"

"oh, well I guess if you eat it.. It's ok.. I guess.." :?

betteroffishing
04-04-2010, 10:41 AM
the t shirt i bought at the chiliwack gun show , do guns scare you ? a fear of weapons is a sign of ******ed sexual maturity , " sigmund freud" has opened up so many converstions over the last month. in line at the grocery store yesterday , i had 2 people comment on their support for my right to own firearms , these are people whom were not hunters themselves and not the " type " of people i would expect support from , quite eye opening . there is more support out there than we think. be a positive example of a responsible hunter and the ignorance based opinions will be seen for what they are , both in minority of numbers and in ignorance of the facts.

fowl language
04-04-2010, 01:39 PM
thanks kastles, for taking the high road and spend the time to educate the uninformed. image the support we would have if we could all educate 2 or 3 people that know nothing of hunting and the nutriional benefits of eating wild game keep up the good work.....fowl

landphil
04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Good on ya Kastles, nicely done. It's time BC hunters make the "protected" list before we become extinct.:wink:

Buckmeister
04-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Some people live very sheltered lives. When I drive anywhere in the spring in BC I usually see 5-10 bears a day along the road. How anyone can live their life in BC without ever seeing a bear baffles me.

It amazes me how many people have "blinders" on at almost any given time. The bear would have to be sitting on there doorstop before they see it.
Case in point, today we went to my folks for lunch, as I was driving down the road I pass my dad who is taking a walk, a few minutes later my sister drives down the road and she also passes him but she fails to recognize him. We all had a good laugh about it and I said it was a good thing she didn't give him the finger for jaywalking.

MichelD
04-05-2010, 08:43 AM
I was at a yard sale once and they had an average size 3-point mulie rack for sale.

"That's really rare. Those are protected now," the seller said.

I just walked away.

papaken
04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I was at a yard sale once and they had an average size 3-point mulie rack for sale.

I just walked away.

Sounds like the antis, lie to get more money. Hopefully nobody falls for it.

barry1974w
04-05-2010, 01:53 PM
goof on you for educating your cashier. But I do feel for Moosin, P.G. home depot has got to be one of the worst places ever. And I know Moosin's a good customer, he was one of mine for many years when I worked at Timberline.

CanuckShooter
04-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Moosin, that was possibly the best vent of the month!

I agree with everything said in this post.. My saleswoman at the car dealership was SHOCKED by the thought of me being a hunter.. "well, I don't agree with it.." to which I respond "ever seen a slaughter house? I have, and I prefer to do it myself... Enjoy your steak dinner tonight ;)"

"oh, well I guess if you eat it.. It's ok.. I guess.." :?

You would have come across better if you'd have said:

"you should come hunting with me sometime...you do know that us hunters are better lovers don't you? We go deeper in the bush and eat what we get...you'd really enjoy going on a hunting trip with me"

If you kant beat'em get 'em to join ya!!! :mrgreen:

Ltbullken
04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Good job on educating the clerk! :) Can't let that sort of stuff keep perpetuating. Too bad about being skunked on your hunt. Better luck next time.

Ltbullken
04-05-2010, 07:43 PM

I just walked away.

I'd be frustrated too. :-x But those are teachable moments. Us hunters need to pursue every opportunity to challenge and educate on stereotypes, myth and misconceptions.

hardnocks
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
What i have heard more then once is . Canada geese i thought they were protected.

kastles
04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Or: "Canada Geese? I thought you could only hunt those south of the 49."

Ambush
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
My daughter and her husband were out on a free whale watching tour a few years back. They witnessed a small boat beach and then the occupants stalked and shot a black bear.

One loud-mouth began telling everyone they were poaching because "...it is illegal to shoot a bear while it's feeding."

If she hadn't set him straight everyone on board would have taken it as the truth.

Buckmeister
04-05-2010, 10:50 PM

I just walked away.

The 3-points racks ARE protected........during the the 4-point or bigger season :wink:.