PDA

View Full Version : cougar problems

ruger#1
03-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Have a cougar in my neighbor hood and I'm not talking about my wife, last snow my neighbors goat disappeared, and there was a deer that was killed by a big cat, behind his barn. and some people a few kms from me have seen big cat tracks around there property. not to excited about this . but this is where i live and the animals were here before me. so far this year Ive seen on bobcat in the yard. now there is a cougar. still have the bears to deal with to. going to be a fun year.

ratherbefishin
03-18-2006, 05:07 PM
they come through my place fairly regularly-and in all likelyhood are around far more than most folks know about.The only evidence is the odd deer kill,and we found one place where the cat had bedded down near it's kill where it could see the road quite clearly-yet nobody spotted it.How many people went by on their daily walks in full view of the cat nobody knows, but when it finished up the deer, it moved on

BlacktailStalker
03-18-2006, 05:16 PM
It's amazing how stealth they are.
I don't want to know how many times I've unknowingly been watched by a cougar. We've all had that eerie feeling something is watching...

Ozone
03-18-2006, 05:34 PM
After a nice days sail up to Sonora Island I took the dog to the beach and was throwing this large stick into the beach grass for her, after 1/2 hr of this just as she was going into the tall grass to get the stick she stopped and her hackles went up, she walked very stiff legged into the grass and brought back the stick. I thought that was weird, get the stick off her and throw it again. As the stick lands a couger jumps up and heads for the trees:shock: . HOLY CRAP. I hit this thing and didnt even no it was there, less than 100ft away. Now when were hunting and the hackles go up the safety comes off and if i dont have a gun I grab 2 rocks and bang them together.

My other scary couger story is when I picked up my trail cam and noticed I got 2 couger pics 3hrs before I got my camera.

johnes50
03-18-2006, 05:59 PM
It's amazing how stealth they are.
I don't want to know how many times I've unknowingly been watched by a cougar. We've all had that eerie feeling something is watching...

I've had that feeling a few times too. I'm walking down a road and the next thing I know I feel like I'm being watched. I usually unsling my rifle and hold it in the ready position and look around. I've never seen anything, but for some reason I felt like I wasn't alone. Probably nothing, but what the heck, it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

hutch
03-18-2006, 06:05 PM
last fall up in shawnigan we walked into some broom at the end of a road and it smelled like a cat litter box the smell was gone in about 15 minutes we must have bumped the cougar out as we were headed in. didnt see it but im sure it was watching us

Dragginbait
03-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Years ago my brother was walking through some christmas trees and scared up a big cat, he looked down and there was fur and bones at his feet.(he walked right into his bed). The cat ran up to the road above, turned around and headed back into the trees, he put his finger on trigger and very nervously walked back out to the road.

moose hunter
03-18-2006, 07:10 PM
we had one kill one of our sheep never saw it we had a giant lynx kill 2 of our sheep at one point chasing it around the powerlines leaving blood 10 feet high the first one was a clean kill hes dead now thansk to my dog, last year we had a cougar come in and try for the sheep nikko my big anatolion shephard burst into the field with buddy the lab behind him a cougar jumped out of the tall grass and went to run but he was to late nikko and buddy got him and after about 10 mihutes of fighting the thing got a broken neck before i could get my dad to get my gun.

moose hunter
03-18-2006, 07:14 PM
if i was u id take a gun and my dog and track him down before he does anymore dammage

tmarschall
03-18-2006, 07:17 PM
To really get the impact of this story, you have to realize that it took place in the middle of cattle country where the human presence is probably a bit more common than some of the bush in BC. Of course it is all privately fenced and the ranchers have had a long standing opinion that the only good cougar is a dead one. There have been no laws protecting them here for many years, still are none. The story came up last weekend while on an archery hunt for ferral hogs. It was a 1,000 acre ranch, about 10 miles from a small town. On a previous hunt, a hunter had radioed in early that the guide should come and pick him up. Strange as it was to be picked up so early, the guide granted his request. The hunter refused to go back to the same blind the next evening, so another hunter took the spot. Same thing, radio call came in early for the hunter to be picked up. The guide had to find out what was happening. Turns out, that raccoons had come out both evenings to eat the corn from the feeders used to attract the hogs. Fifteen yds from the hunters, both evenings, a cougar came in and grabbed one of the raccoons and ran off with it. Tracks have been seen since this event, the few times we have had some rain since then, but no one has seen it since. The wife of one of the hunters in my group thought she might have seen it one evening. She was still in the blind and it was dark, from the description of the shadow moving by the feeder, it was thought to be the cougar.

Barracuda
03-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Have a cougar in my neighbor hood and I'm not talking about my wife, last snow my neighbors goat disappeared, and there was a deer that was killed by a big cat, behind his barn. and some people a few kms from me have seen big cat tracks around there property. not to excited about this . but this is where i live and the animals were here before me. so far this year Ive seen on bobcat in the yard. now there is a cougar. still have the bears to deal with to. going to be a fun year.

Have you contacted the ministry yet?
I can get someone with hounds that does this sort of thing on a Regular basis ( I was actually out with him and his hounds yesterday) . I will send you an pvt mssg

Barracuda
03-18-2006, 08:17 PM
message and contact info sent:grin:

moose hunter
03-18-2006, 09:38 PM
dont bother with conservation officers they wont do a thing they never helped us :'(

Barracuda
03-18-2006, 09:59 PM
who did you speak to?
If you are on the level and explain the situation and it falls within the parmeters of their juridiction they can be very helpfull in providing a solution (or put you in touch with the right folks etc..) they can be very helpfull .

timberhunter
03-18-2006, 10:05 PM
3 words for this thread.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS

Man we drive around all day looking for cat tracks, I must not be living right :)

Marc S.

ex bc guide
03-18-2006, 10:25 PM
I offered the same thing in a pm!
Mike

ruger#1
03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
thanks cuda and ex bc, there are trails on tne mountain here, but there is no discharge of firearms in the district, so it would have to be taken out with a bow.

Barracuda
03-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Haveing to use a bow is no problem .
The hounds used are well trained follow instruction and dont follow or bother livestock or any off game(just like a hound should be:biggrin: ) and they are very well trained at dealing with this sort of thing .

BigfishCanada
03-19-2006, 12:13 PM
hey were in mission. my bro has 12 acrs off stave lake rd. He had a cougar in his yard with two small children. Since he got two dogs from the pound he hasnt seen any sign. I would take care of the problem as well.

ruger#1
03-19-2006, 10:12 PM
im west of stave lake road about 4 kms. he live close to the pen or closer to hatzic prarrie, about 6 years ago dad and i was walking a logging road, off of dewdny mountain when we seen somethig in the road, three cougars. he got within ten yards of one of them. rifle pointed at it . it went into the bush, when he started walking back it popped its head out and watched us walk away. three years after seeing the cat . there were no deer. everyone in the neighbor hood wanted us to shoot them. its funny how that works, they dont want us to hunt the deer. we never shot at the cats.

ratherbefishin
03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
cats generally tend to be very wary of humans and are around a lot more than we know about-so when one does start being seen, its not a good sign.Either the cat is old and unable to pull down deer, or it has lost its natural fear of humans-either way it needs to be removed one way or another.Remember-they are big ,powerful and efficient predators and can and will attack humans ,fortionately rarely ,but I wouldn't take one for granted either

houndogger
03-22-2006, 08:28 PM
More then likely once it has cleaned up all the useless and unwanted pets in the area it will move on. :biggrin: Are you still seeing it?

ruger#1
03-22-2006, 08:32 PM
i only seen it once. thought it was a dog running down the road. but it is the way it was running that gave it away. also had a bobcat chewing on some of the deer heads i had on an old truck in the yard , i was twenty five yards from it.

houndogger
03-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Cool! There you go mainland doggers this guy got bobbys a cougars in his yard.