PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Cheakamus question ASAP

huntinnewbie
04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I have been through the regs several times and the only reference I can find is that you need a steelhead tag if you intend to fish for steelhead.
If we are going to fish the Cheakamus and we are just spin casting with light tackle for trout, then do we need a tag?
My son insists that we do and I disagree as per the regs. We are aware that anything you catch is catch and release only.
Who's right?
We are heading up today so need answers asap or is there someone we can phone.

Wood butcher
04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I believe that your correct. I think some river systems require that you have a steelhead stamp no matter what. If it were me I'd buy one and target the steelhead. They are more fun than the little trout and a CO who doesn't believe that your NOT targetting steelies.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_oA7HKr_tLEc/S7d-Bd6wOfI/AAAAAAAABrQ/AiTEGwaXSJ4/s640/P4020021.JPG

huntinnewbie
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Got the answer through a CO who checked it out and you do not need a steelhead tag for the Cheakamus if you are spin casting with light gear for trout. Only if you have a teelhead setup and are targeting steelhead do you need one.

Salty
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
See the classified waters section of the regs. From memory that's the only place in the regs where a mandatory steelhead tag comes in, even if you're not targeting them.