PDA

View Full Version : Pleasently Surprised

Bowzone_Mikey
04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
So last weekend I helped a fellow HBC member set up his new bow, He got it at Wholesale in Edmonton, had a shop set put a loop on it and put his old acc on it .... He decided to get new arrows and new accesories so he asked me to help him out ... got some Beman MFX arrows (Easton slimtechs with a differant label and 2/3rds the price) a new Whisker Bisquit, and I gave him a sight I had lying around ... at the end of the day the bow was re-tuned and re-looped for the new accesories.

70 pound Fred Bear Truth 2 flings Beman MFX 340s weighing in at 439 grains 275 feet per second (according to my F-1 Chrony) generating about 73 pounds of KE hitting power. It is a fairly silent bow as well with 2 string stoppers. I am personally not a fan of the string stoppers on that particular bow as they seem to not capture the string all the time after the shot ... very similar to the original 2008 bowtech Airborne factory stopper(the string wont always come to rest in the stoppers cradle ). It is a fairly easy bow to work on as its a single cam design however I reccomend replacing the factory string with a quality hand made string as the serving will separate very quickly with the agressive lobe on the cam(something I reccomend anyway for any new bow ... as you typically gain performance over factory string)

This is my first expiriance with a Fred Bear Truth 2 bow and was pleasently surprised as in the past Fred Bear bows have been piles of junk better suited for boat anchors in my personal opinion (extremly hard to tune properly and in a few cases not well cast or machined whichever the case maybe ... holes tapped crooked etc....)

For someone wanting to get into Archery cheaply I will adding this bow to my list of reccomedations Based on Steves new bow .... I hope he didnt get lucky and all are good

Bow Walker
04-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Interesting thoughts Mike. The price range is definitely right.

The upgrade in quality could have something to do with Will Primos getting involved a couple of years ago (3?). As for the double stoppers not capturing the string every time - might be the reason the "big guys" don't use two suppressors? Or is it the rubber stopper design itself? Maybe the suppressors are just a bit too far apart, as in too close to the cams?

Bowzone_Mikey
04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I think its the design of the stoppers .... being closer to the cams the rebound isnt as much as it is near the middle of the string (think Mathews design right at the cams)

the thought of Primos involved with Bear might be something there .. All I know is I have worked on some older Bear bows and have pulled my hair out each time ....

Bow Walker
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah, Mathews' are right at the cam(s). To my way of thinking, they're too close to the cams. Gives the rest of the string, that's in between the stoppers, far too much room to act like the wet noodle that the string becomes. Too much room for oscillation and/or noise.

Careful with the hair pullin'......there can't be too much left up there, at your age. :wink::-D

thetackdriver
04-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey mike after shooting the bow for a while now the stoppers seem to be working a lot better for the most part. Ive flung about 200 more arrows through it since shooting at your house and they have only missed the string maybe 2 or 3 times. Oh and i did find my release just sitting in my truck between the front seats. Not sure how I missed it considering I checked there about 3 times. Anyways thanks a lot Mike for helping me get set up!

Bow Walker
04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Maybe all that was needed was for the string to relax and settle in?

Yup - for a Northern Redneck, you'd have to look a long ways to find a nicer guy.....http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sFun_cheerleader2.gif http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sFun_hailtheking.gif

Bowzone_Mikey
04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey mike after shooting the bow for a while now the stoppers seem to be working a lot better for the most part. Ive flung about 200 more arrows through it since shooting at your house and they have only missed the string maybe 2 or 3 times. Oh and i did find my release just sitting in my truck between the front seats. Not sure how I missed it considering I checked there about 3 times. Anyways thanks a lot Mike for helping me get set up!

Nice ...I been meaning to call ya and ask ya hows it coming along ...

now if it would quit freaking snowing we could go out and find some Yogis

If you like that Cobra release .. keep it ... otherwise put it in your truck and I'll grab it later

Foxtail
04-03-2010, 11:58 AM
The sting on the Truth 2 is a "winners choice" As far as I know there weren't any problems with the serving on them. It's the other models in the lineup that had serving seperation problems. The string supressors should be adjusted so that they are just barely toutching the string or even a small space. When I say adjusted I mean "bent" or pull the rubber stop off and shave the actual rod a bit. The new Bear "attack" has re-designed supressors that are apparently much better.

Escalade Sports bought Fred Bear (06 I believe) and greatly improved the quality. They now have the fastest single cam bow at 7" brace rated at 340 fps.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I have never been impressed with Winners Choice strings on aggresive cams, had 2 sets made for my super tec ...first set lasted a week before separation at cam lobe ...sent em back second set lasted about 3 months (They got some new process... almost looked like a double run). I would never put them on any bow I had with an agressive draw.

Now that said ... Winners choice are considered the industry standard for strings ... and they are a pretty good string for machine assembly line made, far better than some others. I would put most any hand made string up against a WC string any day ... I have used many breeds of strings including WC, Wolfden, Worlds best, Americas best, Scorpion, Crackers(who is considered by many in the archery world as GOD when it comes to String Voodoo and Bow tuning) and many more ... I keep coming back to hand made strings ...and honestly Its a toss up between Worlds Best in Sask ... and Crackers outta the states ... I have sent one bow to Mike to be Crackerized and it was worth the money spent but not the time. Allan from Worlds best uses the same technique for string building as Crackers and it would be tough to tell the differance.

Now on a Mild Cam design (such as a Cam.5 by hoyt) a winners choice string is great and works fine ... the problem with aggresive cams is the serving separates now your bow is slightly out of spec and instead of hitting a dime at 20 ...you are now hitting a quarter ...
Granted for the majority of this sites membership a quarter at 20 is good enuf . Maybe I am too picky ....
I see alot of people wanting to shoot ragged holes with their rifles ... why wouldnt you wanna group like that with your bow?