PDA

View Full Version : Which Hard-core hunting boots for you ?

boxhitch
04-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Lots of threads about what boots suck and which are Gods gift, usually with the same old diatribe from the same old members.
Maybe this will sort out which is favored

Gunner
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Come to think of it my Canada Pros are 4 years old not 2,so it's an incorrect entry but I'm more than happy with them,they've stood up well except in cold weather.I have Schnees for that! Gunner

BromBones
04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Of those options I had Lowa, which I like very much, but haven't used mine enough to see how they fare after hard use.

My AKUs are hands down the best boots I've had and the reason why my Lowas get a lot of shelf time. Can't bring myself to start using others when the AKUs perform so well.

boxhitch
04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Not enough room for all the options
should have listed Danners instead of Cabellas as # 9

mark
04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Whites???? La sportiv????
Theres 2 Ive never heard of!
I couldnt vote because there was no choice that said meindles totally suck....and I got Diotto's now and so far awesome!

frenchbar
04-01-2010, 09:52 PM
no complaints with my Lowas ..

MikeH
04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I use SWATS 9" classic's awesome boot feels like a running shoe,nice and light.

shaner338
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I like my Hanwag's but they took awhile to break in...

kennyj
04-02-2010, 06:18 AM
The boots I use aren't on the list. I guess they aren't expensive enough to be hard core .
kenny

Gilmore
04-02-2010, 06:41 AM
My feet walk around in Lowas, and they're pretty happy about it too!

mcrae
04-02-2010, 06:54 AM
I bought Hanwags on a buddies advice and I have never looked back. Great boots for me.

6.5x55mm
04-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I bought the newer Meindl boots very different than my old pair. The leather is half as thick??? Sent them back and bought a pair of Lowa Tibet pros, very happy with them.

Ruger4
04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
The Danners I bought in Fort Worth Texas 7 years ago are well used now but by far the best I ever walked/hiked/hunted in , but like anything now a days , nothing is built like they use to be !! I have a pair of hand made Austrian boots my father in law brought home for me , waiting to try them out but not til the Danners are retired.

huntcoop
04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Danner Canadian.

Buck
04-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Aku's here i really like them.Have stood up and are very comfortable.

Everett
04-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Whites???? La sportiv????
Theres 2 Ive never heard of!
I couldnt vote because there was no choice that said meindles totally suck....and I got Diotto's now and so far awesome!

La Sportiva is one of the largest hiking boot/climbing shoe manufacturers in the world
Personaly hunting in Kennetreks if they ever send them back from warrenty 3 months and counting.

springpin
04-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Garmont....the only boot for me...

mark
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
La Sportiva is one of the largest hiking boot/climbing shoe manufacturers in the world
Personaly hunting in Kennetreks if they ever send them back from warrenty 3 months and counting.

Thats funny, Ive never heard of them....never seen an add.... never heard any talk in any of the dozens of boot threads, oh and according to the poll, no-one seems to wear them either???? :confused:

GoatGuy
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Picked em up on sale for 1.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Apparel/MensFootwear/MensWinterRubberFootwear/PRD~0899528P/Men%252527s%252Band%252BYouth%252527s%252BRubber%2 52BBoots.jsp

Everett
04-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Thats funny, Ive never heard of them....never seen an add.... never heard any talk in any of the dozens of boot threads, oh and according to the poll, no-one seems to wear them either???? :confused:

They don't seem to bother much with the NA market outside of climbing shoes and serious mountain boots. I have worn there climbing shoes in the past, there boots are built on a narrow last so don't suit my feet.
I would say large portion of the mountain guides in NA and Europe are wearing La Sportiva boots. Check them out here is the link.
http://sportiva.com/

Spokerider
04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Who has tried the Kenetrek boots?
Which model and what do you have to say about them, good and bad?
I`m looking at them..........

Fisher-Dude
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Apparel/MensFootwear/MensWinterRubberFootwear/PRD~0899528P/Men%252527s%252Band%252BYouth%252527s%252BRubber%2 52BBoots.jsp

A nice match for your velcro Saan hikers.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Redneckshopper.jpg

Danner Santiams for me. Have a 10 year old pair that are still good to go.

Everett
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Who has tried the Kenetrek boots?
Which model and what do you have to say about them, good and bad?
I`m looking at them..........

Soles wore out after 63 days of hunting shipped them back got a call a month later said they would sort it out that was two months ago. Still no boots and no follow up call. Going ring them next week and give them hell.
On the plus side realy comfy boots but crap soles and even worse customer service very much doubt I will buy another pair.

Gateholio
04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Van Gorkums for me...Might try Hanwags next as apparently they come in wide sizes and I think Van Gorkum might retire before I need another pair of boots.:neutral:

eastkoot
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Using Han Wags but still prefer and use the old Gronells that are servicable and waterproof after 8-10 years..

fuzzy
04-02-2010, 07:42 PM
i have Danner canadians, i think they are all right for what they are. i had zamberlans and another pair of itlian boots when i was a teenager and i regret getting the danners. i shoulda just got a pair of good hiking boots then bought a pair of pac boots for colder weather.

just my .02 newbie cents

fuzzy

358mag
04-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Hey thats the same boots that the Detroit Red Wings and a few of the hard core BC fans have !!!!

1/2 slam
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Meindls and I've had no problems.

steelheadSABO
04-02-2010, 09:12 PM
what ever is not wet

dana
04-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Pretty much have worn out my second pair of Lowa's. I've been very happy with them. I'm also wearing vintage Pierre Paris and Heads. Those 2 pairs kick ass on any modern boot I've ever worn.

dana
04-02-2010, 09:44 PM

I guess you're not hanging in the right crowds Mark. I happen to know several people that wear Sportiva and swear by them. The nice thing about working in the bush is you work with a lot of people with a lot of experience with a lot of different boots. When it comes to boot threads, you have to take them with a grain of salt as many hunters swear by their boots yet never leave the truck or quad. I have blown out boots in a matter of hours that some hunters rave about.

BlacktailStalker
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I guess you're not hanging in the right crowds Mark. I happen to know several people that wear Sportiva and swear by them. The nice thing about working in the bush is you work with a lot of people with a lot of experience with a lot of different boots. When it comes to boot threads, you have to take them with a grain of salt as many hunters swear by their boots yet never leave the truck or quad. I have blown out boots in a matter of hours that some hunters rave about.

What caliber did you use ?

dana
04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
My 2 feet! One year I was given a brand new pair of Rocky's and blew them out in a matter of hours while shed hunting. I've also blown out Meindles and Danners in a matter of a few months. I've had Vibergs last me several years but I've also had Vibergs that I've blown out in one summer. When it comes to the Lowas, I got 2 years out of both pairs. That is pretty dang good in my book.

Deaddog
04-03-2010, 08:23 AM
used meindl's , makalu's model for a number of years and for the past six years I use canada pro's, I have also tried scarpa's and van gorkums, I never get more than two seasons out of a pair of boots, performance wise I believe there are a lot of boots that are comparable, I simply like the fit and style of the meindl's and have had nothing but good luck with them... as a side bar in talking to the meindl rep he stated that they are going back to the "old style" leather for the canada pro's.. DD

mark
04-03-2010, 08:35 AM
.. as a side bar in talking to the meindl rep he stated that they are going back to the "old style" leather for the canada pro's.. DD

So they admitting they built some $h!tty boots for a few years!!!! :)

Hey DD, ask him if we can trade our "cheesecloth edition" boots in for the real deal....win back a few customers!

For $460 wet feet should not be a daily occurrence!!! :evil:

Wild_Dog
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Missed my boots too....

I wear Echo's. I'm a surveyor and live my life in the bush and on pavement. These boots are well into year two. I'll be replacing them soon but will still wear them until the end of summer while I break in my new pair.

ryanb
04-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Meindls are a quality boot. The problem I think a lot of people have with the Canada pros is that they are sized differently than Canadian boots, and will only fit a fairly wide foot. As a result, a lot of people, myself included, end up unhappy with the comfort and fit of the Canada Pros.

Remember, Meindl has MANY MANY different models of boot, and if you find one that fits your foot properly, they are fantastic. I finally found the Lhotse MFS fits my foot to perfection and 4 years later and hundreds of days wearing them I am still VERY happy.

dana
04-03-2010, 09:41 AM
The Meindls I blew out were from the States. Can't remember the model name. Do remember being several kms back and having my feet hanging out. Had to wrap them with flagging ribbon so the Devil's Club wouldn't bite my toes.

XMD70
04-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Meindl makes some boots just for Cabela's. I have some "Fit IQ" Meindl's. Best boots I've ever owned. Going into the 3rd season, no problems. Was nervous about buying boots online, but worked out great.

Roots
04-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I've used Scarpa Concordia's for the past 8 years and they have not let me down. Together, this adds up to about 1000km carrying a 50lb+ pack up and down mountains, from crossing streams to climbing scree. Only wish they had toe rands to protect them from bumps and abrasion. Although the tread is quite worn, I dread the idea of replacing them as they seem to get more comfortable as the years go by.

I think one factor in the longevity of your boots is how you maintain them. For me, a quick touch-up with a turpentine based wax or mink oil has become part of my routine every time I plan to head out. Drying your boots properly is also just as important. If left untouched, the salts from all the sweat your feet produce, as well as the minerals that inpermeate while crossing through mud and muck, will only accelerate the rotting process that breaks boots down. Dry newspapers go into my boots as soon as I come home and get replaced until all the moisture is sucked out. If you simply let them 'air dry', you're only evaporating the water, leaving all the salts/minerals still impregnated in your boots. Each time you head out, you'll be accumulating more - this is why it's important to 'pull out' the moisture while the salts/minerals are still dissolved (in aqueous solution). It also doesn't help that the soil in BC is quite acidic, but hey what can you do.

I've never been a fan of drying boots next to a fire either, although sometimes we don't have a choice do we. The heat from the fire accelerates the degeneration of the chemical bonds that keep adhesives and substrates "glued" together. Just a thought.

But I guess if you buy crappy boots to begin with, you're pretty much screwed anyway. OK. I'm done yapping about boots.

compton
04-03-2010, 10:03 AM
My Danner's have been awesome for five years and I hike in them year round.

brenden
04-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Couldn't find Canada pros my size before hunting season so I bought Scarpa Liskamm GTX's instead. The whole time I wore the scarpas (all hunting season and all winter for work) I was wishing I had new Meindls. I bought new Canada Pros this spring and soon realized the advantage that the Scarpas offer. I think I like the Scarpas better for heavy mountain use. They just have better ankle support and offer better stiffness for rocky travel. I really like my Canada pros (3rd pair) but I do prefer the scarpas for sheep/goat country.

I have tried:
Gronnel
Viberg
koflach
meindl (makalu & CPros)
Scarpa
Vasque
Raichle
La Sportiva

I think for my purposes the Scarpa Liskamm GTX boots are my pick.

Brenden

BlacktailStalker
04-03-2010, 03:20 PM
So they admitting they built some $h!tty boots for a few years!!!! :)

Hey DD, ask him if we can trade our "cheesecloth edition" boots in for the real deal....win back a few customers!

For $460 wet feet should not be a daily occurrence!!! :evil:

X 2 .

longleader
04-04-2010, 07:04 AM
My 2 feet! One year I was given a brand new pair of Rocky's and blew them out in a matter of hours while shed hunting. I've also blown out Meindles and Danners in a matter of a few months. I've had Vibergs last me several years but I've also had Vibergs that I've blown out in one summer. When it comes to the Lowas, I got 2 years out of both pairs. That is pretty dang good in my book.

Which model of Viberg did you like the best or lasted the longest?

Tanya
04-04-2010, 07:26 AM
I am using a set of Cabela's Outfitter series, and they are great for me. I like the lacing that goes way down the boot so that they can be adjusted it the situation at hand. Really, boots are such a personal thing as each person's foot varies. Also, for me women's boots are too narrow and it is difficult to get boots in men's below an 8, however in the odd brand of footwear I do wear a men's 8. With the Outfitter series I can get the width I want and the size increments are in 1/2 sizes, so it worked perfect for me. They are lasting very well. Our oldest son Pete also has a wide deep foot and has the same boot as they make them right out to EEE. Hubby John has a very narrow foot, and slipped his foot into some Danners and instantly new that they are not for him, too sloppy in the ankle and foot area. So, what works for one may not for another.

showtimebc
04-04-2010, 08:30 AM
as anyone used ant of Asolo's boots for hunting? Specifically the Asolo Shelter GTX. They look sweet and feel good. I think im gonna pick up a pair today.

blackwater
04-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Guess I'm a none of the above guy...but count me in on the AKU/Van Gorkum poll. And between the 2, I actually like the AKU the most...wish I'd bought a couple spares when WSS had them on sale, because I'm sure they changed the model and made it crappy...like most companies do when I find something I really like.

one-shot-wonder
04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
as anyone used ant of Asolo's boots for hunting? Specifically the Asolo Shelter GTX. They look sweet and feel good. I think im gonna pick up a pair today.

I have had 3 pairs of Asolo boots and all 3 have been comfortable super ligthweight, and great support since day 1. I have never tried the Shelter GTX.

I am looking to try the Cotopaxi NBK GV next but am not sure I want a Nubuck leather upper compared to a full grain leather. Over teh past decade my low cut Asolo's have done the trick but I am curious to see how a higher legged boot performs.

bonecracker
04-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Two pairs of Lowas and 1 pair of Hanwags. The Hanwags were good boots but lost all their support quickly. My oldest pair of Lowas are still stiff where they should be but not gore tex. My feet seem to get wet/damp no matter what. The Hanwags are pretty tough and dry but I need lots of ankle support due to old injuries. My new Lowas(sheep hunters or gtx, 10" tall whatever they are) are the nicest pair of boots I've ever owned. I had a sheep hunt and a week chasing elk on them last year. Too tall for walking on the flats though. I use the Hanwags or old Lowas if deer or flat ground hunting.

frenchbar
04-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Two pairs of Lowas and 1 pair of Hanwags. The Hanwags were good boots but lost all their support quickly. My oldest pair of Lowas are still stiff where they should be but not gore tex. My feet seem to get wet/damp no matter what. The Hanwags are pretty tough and dry but I need lots of ankle support due to old injuries. My new Lowas(sheep hunters or gtx, 10" tall whatever they are) are the nicest pair of boots I've ever owned. I had a sheep hunt and a week chasing elk on them last year. Too tall for walking on the flats though. I use the Hanwags or old Lowas if deer or flat ground hunting.

x2 i wear my lowas in the steeper rocky shit ..and wear my prospectors on the flats and easier ground..

fudge
04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Got to be Danners for me. I have had 2 pair and they last like nothing else. I work in them and hunt in them best boot out there by far.

fuzzy
04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
what is the criteria for a hardcore boot? kinda like using different calibres for different scenerios isnt it? :biggrin: ie my ".22 is the best thing ever it does everything i need it to i swear by it and will never get anything else" or on the other hand " i would never step out the front door without my .500 nitro double rifle.

im just bored and wanna read more content

fuzzy

Krico
04-05-2010, 10:36 PM
what is the criteria for a hardcore boot? kinda like using different calibres for different scenerios isnt it? :biggrin: ie my ".22 is the best thing ever it does everything i need it to i swear by it and will never get anything else" or on the other hand " i would never step out the front door without my .500 nitro double rifle.

im just bored and wanna read more content

fuzzy

I too find the posts with opinions stated as though they are fact a little humorous. I love the "I never use anything but "X", it's the best there is" comments...How could you possibly have any idea what the best is, if you've only ever used brand X??? Unfortunately I don't think there's any objective, long term, real world, comparative testing done on boots, or much of the other gear us hunters use, like backpacks, tents, sleeping bags etc. By the time testing like that could be completed, the next models are out and the ones being tested are discontinued, or are being produced with changes to design. We just have to go by the reputation of brands and products, personal experience, experiences of our peers, recommendations of retailers and the odd product review not scewed by advertising dollars, which pretty much eliminates every magazine article out there.

IronNoggin
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Tried LOTS. Finally settled on a set of high-top Irish Setters. Comfortable from the get-go, warm, waterproof, great traction, and oh, did I mention warm?

Best I've had to date. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

luckynuts
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM
for the mountains my meindle canada pro's though they are 4 years old. for everything else my rubber dunlops warm waterproof ans pretty comfy too.

boxhitch
04-13-2010, 08:50 AM
guess some topics are hotter than others
10 days and only 129 votes
Surprising how many guys have been through so many pairs of boots in a short time too.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-13-2010, 09:06 AM
guess some topics are hotter than others
10 days and only 129 votes
Surprising how many guys have been through so many pairs of boots in a short time too.

Didn't see Birkenstocks on the poll so I didn't vote:wink:.

Have gone through two pairs of Meindls and have re-soled one of them twice..which I use pretty much exclusively for training and local hunts. Bought the first pair in 1999 and they lasted me until 2004. My good pair of Makalus lasted 5 sheep seasons (2005-2009) so I can't really complain. They are still waterproof...just wore off the toes and soles.

Went with Diottos this time but have not yet broken them in.

SSS

boxhitch
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Went with Diottos this time but have not yet broken them in.All that wet sloppy snow on the GB hunt should help to mold those slippers

Stone Sheep Steve
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
All that wet sloppy snow on the GB hunt should help to mold those slippers

Won't use my good boots in that old corn snow. Pretty hard on the leather. Will use my old Makalus and Schnee's Sportman's.

SSS

boxhitch
04-13-2010, 09:58 AM
If you have a narrow sz 10 foot, I could lend some plastic shell boots to try out, with crampons.

cloverphil
04-13-2010, 10:18 AM
I picked "other" which isn't an option, I wear army surplus combat boots and a warm pair of wool socks

bigwhiteys
04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
There are a few hundred miles on my Hanwags now over the last 3 years and this will be probably be my last season out of them. I'll buy a new pair and use these ones for training in. They've held up really well through scree, shale, boulders, creeks, clearcuts, mud etc... My feet have always stayed dry. I've used Obenaufs heavy duty LP wax on them and the leather is still in great shape. There are a few spots on the rand and where the leather meets the rand that have been knicked/gouged from shale/scree and the soles have lost more than 50% of the tread.

Kenetrekk, Schnees, Lowa are some other brands on my radar should another pair of Trapper Tops be hard to find.

I think some kind of spring assist would be awesome for a mountaineering boot. :mrgreen:

Carl

BCrams
04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Went with Diottos this time but have not yet broken them in.

SSS

That might prove interesting!! :-D

I have used the following boots extensively for hunting and working in the mountains and bush (I can't even put a number on the miles I put on these things):

Hanwags: Trapper Top GTX, Yukons, and Alaska Top GTX

Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX and Schnees Sheep Hunters (there is no real difference between the two boots as the Schnees Sheep Hunters are made by Lowa as well ..... the only difference I could distinquish was the stiching 2 rows vs 3 rows and the Schnees brand on the leather :roll:)

Meindle Canada Pro (worst boot I have ever used)

I would use all of the above without hesitation except the Meindle Canada Pro's. The Yukons did not have a gortex layer and they were more or less my every day boot and dry weather hiking.

GoatGuy
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Probably just buy another pair of scarpas. They work.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
If you have a narrow sz 10 foot, I could lend some plastic shell boots to try out, with crampons.

Thanks for the offer....but my feet are size 12's.

We'll probably pack our crampons around again "just in case".:?

SSS

BCrams
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
We'll probably pack our crampons around again "just in case".:?

SSS

Going to prove its weight in gold!

S.T.Roker
04-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I just bought a pair of All leather Asolo TPS 535. I hope they work out. Time will tell.

Gino
04-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Danners are the way to go. I bought a pair 11 years ago. Thought i was nuts at what i paid. Put them on and went on my goat hunt. No break in required, I look after them and still going strong.

demlake
04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm wearing Asolo's now too.

They were the boot that fit the best of the ones I could find in PG. 250 bucks. And if there'd been a pair that were more expensive and felt better, I'd have probably bought them.

You can read a thousand threads, and get different opinions on every different boot.

What it came down to for me was fit first and foremost, then quality of construction, thickness of leather, and fewest number of seams.

Go try on as many pairs as you can. Then narrow it down, and if you can, check the net for info on your choices, then buy.

I had a pair of Merrell Grand Traverse IIs before these, and they were great. Fit perfectly, excellent ankle support, took all sorts of abuse, and lasted 6 years. Of course, they don't make them anymore.