PDA

View Full Version : Pack hunting gear - getting there

dutchie
03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
I have been slowly getting my sheep, goat, mulie, ect... back pack hunting gear all in order.

I picked up the Jetboil today... and DAMN!!!

I had to use it for something so I made some tea... for the family!!!

it took 2:45 for 3 cups of tea!

I was very impressed... can hardly wait to get the money to buy some other cool gear!

Dutchie

KB90
03-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Awesome man.

I got some hiking poles, a sleeping bag, sleeping mat, and tent as birthday gifts! Pretty pumped.

Now i need to save up to buy the jetboil. Did you get the 1L personal?

dutchie
03-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Awesome man.

I got some hiking poles, a sleeping bag, sleeping mat, and tent as birthday gifts! Pretty pumped.

Now i need to save up to buy the jetboil. Did you get the 1L personal?

Yes Sir... $125 all said and done!

Dutchie

swampthing
04-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Filling the pack is always fun and expensive. Make a list and keep it. Use this list to double check when loading your pack. Keep the list in your gun room and refer to it every year. Modify the list as you find what you do or dont need. You usually find this out during your hunt. The one time I screwed up was when I bought a new pack just before I left and swapped out my gear. It wasnt until a CO stopped me that I realized I didnt have my license. I was fined for this but had the charge dropped after I found my license under my old backpack on the floor.

.330 Dakota
04-01-2010, 07:21 AM
I have been slowly getting my sheep, goat, mulie, ect... back pack hunting gear all in order.

I had to use it for something so I made some tea... for the family!!!

it took 2:45 for 3 cups of tea!

I was very impressed... can hardly wait to get the money to buy some other cool gear!

Dutchie

Got me excited for a second..thought you mispelled jetboat

bigwhiteys
04-01-2010, 07:29 AM
You can't go wrong with the JetBoil. I've boiled hundreds of liters with mine in the mountains.

Don't forget the Thorlo Trekker socks... Your feet will thank you.

Carl

yukon john
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
just a tip on the jet boil when it comes to packing fuel, in absolute worst conditions ie high wind, melting snow etc, you will get a minimum of 9 liters of boiled water from one can of 3 season mix

bigwhiteys
04-01-2010, 09:37 AM
just a tip on the jet boil when it comes to packing fuel, in absolute worst conditions ie high wind, melting snow etc, you will get a minimum of 9 liters of boiled water from one can of 3 season mix

John, are you referring to the small fuel canisters that fit inside the JetBoil? Or the ones that are twice the size?

One small canister boiled enough water for coffee, and mountain house (breakfast/dinner) for 3 guys for 3 days and we still had some left over.

I've had mine for pretty much 5 years now and it's never failed. When it's really cold you'll have to make sure your fuel canisters stay warm, and I get creative making little rock walls to block the wind...

Carl

yukon john
04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm talking about the little ones that fit inside, that is worst case though , like I said high winds, very cold and melting snow for water I have had them run out in 9 liters. I to have had them last much longer in better conditions though

Caribou_lou
04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I know what you mean Dutchie. I usually save money in the winter months but found myself buying new lighter gear for sheep hunting this upcoming season! New Pack, Bivy, sleeping bag and rifle. Now I just need to buy some luck on august 1st!

BimmerBob
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Dutchie

James, I know the excitement, just one question though...

What made you decide on the Jetboil?

I have numerous stoves and find the liquid fuel ones to be the lightest and fuel to be the least expensive as well. My MSR Dragonfly puts out amazing heat in any condition, is very fuel efficient and I can burn almost any liquid fuel in it.

I am playing around with "coke can" homemade alcolhol stoves as an emergency pack stove and have one that everything fits in one of the big Heineken beer cans.

dutchie
04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm talking about the little ones that fit inside, that is worst case though , like I said high winds, very cold and melting snow for water I have had them run out in 9 liters. I to have had them last much longer in better conditions though

Interesting, I was given some tips from the the guy I always buy all the gear from. He said to conserve fuel, bring the water to an almost poil, then put in the dried veggies and what ever else there is, and turn it off... put a jacket over it to keep the heat in and do somthing for a few mins. Come back to it, heat it to an almost boil and eat. He said the little can he gets 4 days of back packing out of the little canister.

James, I know the excitement, just one question though...

What made you decide on the Jetboil?

I have numerous stoves and find the liquid fuel ones to be the lightest and fuel to be the least expensive as well. My MSR Dragonfly puts out amazing heat in any condition, is very fuel efficient and I can burn almost any liquid fuel in it.

I am playing around with "coke can" homemade alcolhol stoves as an emergency pack stove and have one that everything fits in one of the big Heineken beer cans.

I decided on Jetboil because all of the sheep hunters I have talked to RAVE about them, it is a cup, stove, pot all in one, it boils water very quick, and compact.

I was talking to a guy that spends about 100 days in the bush backpacking and he uses a little wood stove. (weighs less then 8 oz) and he said it is awesome but it take forever to boil and get going. So in 3 mins I can have hot food were with alot of other ones will take 10 mins and there is no wind shield.

I did not do alot of product research but I have followed Carl and what he says. aswell as a bunch of other avid backpackers and sheep and goat hunters.

The other that I was looking at was the MSR Reactor with a dragonfly base... but it was about 10oz heavier without the fuel and I would still need a cut to bring up.

Dutchie

BimmerBob
04-01-2010, 11:31 AM
I decided on Jetboil because all of the sheep hunters I have talked to RAVE about them, it is a cup, stove, pot all in one, it boils water very quick, and compact.

It looks like a pretty nice system alright, thanks!

I was talking to a guy that spends about 100 days in the bush backpacking and he uses a little wood stove. (weighs less then 8 oz) and he said it is awesome but it take forever to boil and get going. So in 3 mins I can have hot food were with alot of other ones will take 10 mins and there is no wind shield.Dutchie

I like the idea of wood and will be working on one for my survivalist inclinations, in a long term survival/bug out situation my beleif is that fuel will be the critical factor. I actually have a wood fired barbeque, lol. Is your friends homemade or commercial? Any info on it would be most appreciated.

Thanks again, Bob

bigwhiteys
04-01-2010, 11:35 AM
The Jetboil definitely has it's limitations, such as trying to cook anything other than what can be boiled.

Don't cook Chili in it or anything "thick"... Trust ME! However, for the simplicity of what it offers to a sheep hunter who may only need to boil water for a meal..?

#1. Fill cup with water.
#2. Screw on fuel canister.
#3. Turn on Gas.
#4. Push ignition switch (sometimes a few times)

And then it roars off doing it's thing. Pour 2 cups into your mountain house (there is 2 cup mark in the cup) and you're eating in about 10 minutes. (wait 10 mins to let the mountain house "come to life")

Carl

yukon john
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
thanks for the tip on the chili carl, i probably would have tried it. I also believe its one of the best products on the market. I love the fact that it changes into a self contained cup, and i use it in the late season hunts to make tea and coffee it definatly makes it more comfortable

bigwhiteys
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
thanks for the tip on the chili carl, i probably would have tried it
You will want to buy another cup after it... The crusty chili burned into the cup made for some nice meals on that trip. The bottom of my cup is still black from it.

Carl