PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Etiquette

skibum
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi Guys - I wondering any of you had some hunting etiquette tips that a new hunter should know / might not be obvious to a new hunter. You know, who gets to take the first shot etc.. Just any tips

Thanks

Brett
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
1. drive or offer to split the gas.

2. discuss BEFORE hand what is going to happen with what is harvested. (most people share what is harvested among the people there) some don't.

this could be fun, someone keep it going!

quadrakid
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
When going on hunting trips with partners make sure you are both on the same page when it comes to sharing or not sharing any meat. Old school is you share evenly,idiot school is not sharing at all.

Hawkeye43
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
when me and my buddy go out, it is who ever spots the animal that gets first dibbs on taking it

Brett
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
if it's a draw , the person who has it legally has to harvest the animal.

if it's an open animal, USUALLY first to spot it, but there is always the groups that BLASTS it, you know who you are :)

leadpillproductions
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
If you seem someone that allready on a trail ,dont go up the trail

Jelvis
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
never point your barrel at your partner
stick with the plan if you say your going then go.
no loaded guns in vehicle at anytime period
bring your own food for the day and water
share plans and time when coming back to truck
have fun
don't get buck fever
help out in a fair way all the time with a hunting partner, work load and encouragement

bearass
03-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Always try your best to make good clean shots, take that extra second to gather your self before you shoot,if you are excited.

Phreddy
03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
If you tell your partner you're going to hunt a certain area and will be back at the vehicle at a certain time, hunt that area and be back at that time or within reason.

Spy
03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Always Unload Your Firearm Before You Get Back Into Camp!:-D

The Dawg
03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Always warn your partner if you have gas...Moosinaround, I am looking in your directionnnnnnnnnnnnn :)

Make a lunch that you can split with your partners- makes for a more interesting trip if you dont know what you are getting until its handed to you :D

Johnnybear
03-31-2010, 10:00 PM
It is always a shared experience if hunting with others IMO. The clean and calm shot suggestion is a major for sure. Guys that don't share meat are just greedy and not someone that I would call a friend IMO. The guys I hunt with we do all the cutting together and share all the meat so everyone has some to take home. Group effort.

As far as who gets the first shot. If we're together usually someone who hasn't taken an animal yet. We usually split up quite a ways so that isn't an issue in most cases.

ufishifish2
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Take binoculars - don't plan to use your scope for doing all your spotting. The guy hidden across the cut in camo is going to be really pissed if you keep pointing your rifle at him trying to figure out "what keeps moving over there."
If you drink Budweiser, be the first Bud drinker in history not to throw your beer cans on the logging road.

Johnnybear
03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Take binoculars - don't plan to use your scope for doing all your spotting. The guy hidden across the cut in camo is going to be really pissed if you keep pointing your rifle at him trying to figure out "what keeps moving over there."
If you drink Budweiser, be the first Bud drinker in history not to throw your beer cans on the logging road.

Very good advice. Nothing worse than a guy scoping you.

Besides not throwing your empties on the logging roads how about not drinking while hunting PERIOD!

log_roller
03-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Guys - I wondering any of you had some hunting etiquette tips that a new hunter should know / might not be obvious to a new hunter. You know, who gets to take the first shot etc.. Just any tips

Thanks

Don't forget the s**t tickets:mrgreen: I usually pack a power saw and carry some light supply's and a first aid kit in my truck I also have made it a habit to keep the truck parked facing home in case one of my partners or myself get injured so during the commotion there not the extra risk of the truck ending up in the ditch while turning it around ,try not to block roads , my hunting partners and myself have a distress signal of 3 shots , and carry a lighter even if they are non smokers , when I'm hunting alone I leave my general location on a piece of paper on the fridge, do not use your scope as binoculars unless you want a beat down and I really mean that Im getting sick of a- holes scoping me its one of the worst habbits out there people who do that should not have firearms ,don't wear smelly colognes, if you find a good spot don't tell anyone about it , I go by the motto first come first serve I don't hunt on top of people and if I do happen to bump into someone I let them know how many of us there are and in what direction , plan on where your going to take your kill , and don't forget to cut your tag during all the excitement, bring a camera good luck :-D

Shooter
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Don't block off roads!

Shooter Jr.
03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Don't block off roads!
Yeah you sure have had the crappy end of that stick last season lol.

And make sure you pack out what you bring ex. litter

BOMBER77
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Baby wipes..(or a long sleeve shirt)

Make sure you give a nod or a wave when passing other hunters

shaner338
03-31-2010, 11:21 PM
If you have an LEH draw that follows an earlier draw,
Don't get there 3 days early and tear up the countryside scouting
while the group ahead of you is still trying to fill their tags.

high and to the right
03-31-2010, 11:29 PM
1. If you see an animal try to shoot it before any one else sees it - your partners will get excited at your skill and the unexpected shot when they aren't expecting it helps with their blood circulation.

2. Always park sideways on the road so you know where your truck is. Leave the windows open in case an animal is walking down the road when you are returning to camp and you have to shoot through the truck - this saves breaking the windows.

3. If you have cans, plastic bags, bar wrappers, etc, it is best to leave them beside the trail. It helps you find your way back to camp in case you get lost.

4. "If it's brown it's down" is always a good motto to follow.

5. Shoot and release is another modern technique to follow especially if you notice quite a bit of ground shrinkage.

6. If you don't get an animal, don't throw away your tag as it is good until you fill it. It may take years but persevere.

7. If you don't have binoculars just use the scope on your gun. Make sure the safety is off in case you have to take a quick shot at what ever it is that tries to run away from where you are pointing.

8. Get a semi-auto. That extra time you waste trying to focus your cross hairs on an animal could just be the time it needs to get away. With a general idea of where the animal is you can get off 3 - 5 shots in a couple of seconds and that is much more accurate than wasting time aiming.

9. Speaking of aiming - many wimpy hunters look for a rest or something to help them steady their gun. Real hunters throw up their gun and - shoot

10. Use as large a calibre as you can handle. This way you don't need to worry about shooting in thick bush. Your first bullet will actually clear a path for your second shot.

11. Let your wife or best friend know where your insurance papers are. After following the rules above they will be more interested in that than any silly map or directions about where you will be hunting.

12. Hunt alone if at all possible. No use sharing any of that good beer with any one else.

13. If you have to hunt with someone, make sure they know how to cook, clean, set up camp, make a fire, own a truck, camper, trailer and a couple quads. Complain about your sore back so when an animal is down they won't expect you to help carry it out.

14. Don't wash for the whole time you are out. NATURE - hello - the more natural you smell the more you will blend in. Don't clean up before going home - the girls love a macho man.

15. Talk lots - especially at sun up and sun rise. You will find that most of your hunting partners at this time of day are very sleepy - at least they must be because they crawl down trails like turtles and don't even have the energy to clear their throats. Talking will wake them up - you will see it in their eyes as they look at you. Good sign - talk more.

16. Brag - it doesn't have to be true. All hunters tell tales and your partners have already told their stories and want to hear yours. Always be ready to top their story with a better one.

17. Always be ready and keep your gun loaded. You never know when an animal may attack your truck, or your camper, or your quad. There is one right now making plans for this fall to hide behind a tree and get you.

18. If you bow hunt - three arrows shot in succession is the distress signal.

19. If you do shoot at an animal watch to see if it falls. If it doesn't fall then you missed. No use wasting time walking over to where it was standing - just leave and look for another one to shoot.

20. For those of you who think I am serious :roll::roll::roll::grin::grin::
Just having some fun after a long day.

Shooter Jr.
03-31-2010, 11:33 PM
1. If you see an animal try to shoot it before any one else sees it - your partners will get excited at your skill and the unexpected shot when they aren't expecting it helps with their blood circulation.

2. Always park sideways on the road so you know where your truck is. Leave the windows open in case an animal is walking down the road when you are returning to camp and you have to shoot through the truck - this saves breaking the windows.

3. If you have cans, plastic bags, bar wrappers, etc, it is best to leave them beside the trail. It helps you find your way back to camp in case you get lost.

5. Shoot and release is another modern technique to follow especially if you notice quite a bit of ground shrinkage.

6. If you don't get an animal, don't throw away your tag as it is good until you fill it. It may take years but persevere.

7. If you don't have binoculars just use the scope on your gun. Make sure the safety is off in case you have to take a quick shot at what ever it is that tries to run away from where you are pointing.

8. Get a semi-auto. That extra time you waste trying to focus your cross hairs on an animal could just be the time it needs to get away. With a general idea of where the animal is you can get off 3 - 5 shots in a couple of seconds and that is much more accurate than wasting time aiming.

9. Speaking of aiming - many wimpy hunters look for a rest or something to help them steady their gun. Real hunters throw up their gun and - shoot

10. Use as large a calibre as you can handle. This way you don't need to worry about shooting in thick bush. Your first bullet will actually clear a path for your second shot.

11. Let your wife or best friend know where your insurance papers are. After following the rules above they will be more interested in that than any silly map or directions about where you will be hunting.

12. Hunt alone if at all possible. No use sharing any of that good beer with any one else.

13. If you have to hunt with someone, make sure they know how to cook, clean, set up camp, make a fire, own a truck, camper, trailer and a couple quads. Complain about your sore back so when an animal is down they won't expect you to help carry it out.

14. Don't wash for the whole time you are out. NATURE - hello - the more natural you smell the more you will blend in. Don't clean up before going home - the girls love a macho man.

15. Talk lots - especially at sun up and sun rise. You will find that most of your hunting partners at this time of day are very sleepy - at least they must be because they crawl down trails like turtles and don't even have the energy to clear their throats. Talking will wake them up - you will see it in their eyes as they look at you. Good sign - talk more.

16. Brag - it doesn't have to be true. All hunters tell tales and your partners have already told their stories and want to hear yours. Always be ready to top their story with a better one.

17. Always be ready and keep your gun loaded. You never know when an animal may attack your truck, or your camper, or your quad. There is one right now making plans for this fall to hide behind a tree and get you.

19. If you do shoot at an animal watch to see if it falls. If it doesn't fall then you missed. No use wasting time walking over to where it was standing - just leave and look for another one to shoot.

20. For those of you who think I am serious :roll::roll::grin::grin::

I hope nobody follows those rules:mrgreen: but you must of put some major thinking into that.

pete_k
03-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Pack it in....Pack it out.

Respect the animal after you kill it.
This includes covering your gut pile so that others can't see it.
(dispose of your cape far from camp, so the next campers don't have to)

Always park so others can get by.

Pick up garbage if you see it. Not all,..but at least make some effort occasionaly.

Good luck and good hunting

hunter1947
04-01-2010, 04:31 AM
#1 Find a good hunting partner that will click with you and when you do find one that is solid you have 50% of what you need done for years to come.

#2 When you are putting a hunt together do at least a years research on the area before you hunt this area.

#3 When you hunt cover many miles each day the further you go your success rate will persentage will be much better.

#4 glass as much as you can I have seen many animals bedded down that I caught glassing.

CanuckShooter
04-01-2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks

Do your share of the work around camp [firewood/dishes/cleanup/skinning etc], and do more of the heavy work if your hunting with a bunch of oldtimers.

Dig a latrine a fair distance from camp, and use it, don't go all over the place, and bury it when you leave.

Don't point your rifle at anyone, and never touch your firearm if you've been drinking.

Don't be cheap, bring enough beer so you don't run out, bring enough cigarettes, bring enough food, bring enough gas for your atv. In fact bring extra so you can hand stuff out or feed an unexpected guest if need be. AND for gawds sake bring enough socks so you don't have to borrow from your partners!!!

Get your butt out of bed in the morning, and put the coffee on.

Talk with your hunting partners before you go out about sharing of meat and who does shooting. We used to share but found out that one fellow would get half your moose and then be hunting with someone else when he got his moose, and then not share any of that one with you. What we do now is keep what we shoot, and if one of us comes up empty at seasons end those with full freezers go for a visit with a few boxes of meat for the poor hapless soul. We always let the junior hunter or the hunter with the least amount of time to hunt shoot first.

swampthing
04-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Lots of good stuff here. The one thing that pisses me off is when you are out with someone you dont know well, and you are getting ready to shoot an animal that you spotted and look over to see the guy you are with aiming his gun at the animal. What the f..k are some people thinking when they do this. Sorry about the curse but I got mad just thinking about it. When you are with someone who has spotted game you are an observer, not a hunter. This goes hand in hand with picking a good partner. As someone already stated giving a junior or new hunter an opportunity is always good. When I have an animal down and am hunting with someone I always offer them to continue hunting on their own while I deal with my animal. Most partners decline but if you can deal with it yourself why hold back a good partner. When I was younger I shoot a moose a full days backpack from the trail. It took 5 days packing to get it out. The two partners I was with each helped pack for one day while the other continued on his hunt. Surround yourself with guys like this and enjoy your hunt.

.330 Dakota
04-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Always Always pull your own weight...camp chores etc

Darksith
04-01-2010, 07:50 AM
have a plan to who shoots. I know its been said, but I don't like the first to spot shoots. If we are driving we have set rules. Whoever gets out of the vehicle on the opposite side as the animal shoots. This way that person can get out of the car and use the car as a screen of sorts. Also...the person(s) in the car on the same side as the animal do not get out. You don't want your head blown off. I always try to get the least experienced hunter with me to pull the trigger if I can. Agree to duration before you leave, and know your walking trajectories.

04-01-2010, 07:58 AM
If you take High and's advice and do the exact opposite you'll be ok!

That was freekin funny.
My input though is never drive past someone walking, well if you can avoid it. Some people new to the area wont know where to go mabe they are walking a road that splits 1k down the road going in total differant directions. If so mabe stop and ask which road he intends to take and go the other.
Alot of hunting is discression, I always go in favor of the other guy. It makes me feel better that there is knowone calling me an ass.
It has been said but
1 make a plan and stick to it. be on time
2 share or dont share make sure it is talked about.
3 He who spots it shoots it (when legal)
4 keep every where you go clean
5 kill animal quick and clean ( shoot for the boiler room broadside)
6 Big one for me respect the animal dont refer to it as a fu@#er or anything like that. I hate it
7 Dont block roads, there might have been a guy down there in the last evening and shot an animal then left it for morning to recover.
8 Talk to the guy you are with what he thinks and ask this question to them

nano
04-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Make sure you give a nod or a wave when passing other hunters[/quote]

X2 always do this because sometimes people will stop and give you some tips on were the animals are.

bighornbob
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
My biggest peice of advice would be to communicate everything in advance.

Talk things through with partners before you go. As other have said "he who spots it shoots first" is fine but if a guy is taking you into "his" spot he may expect the first shot regardless of who spots it. This should all be talked about before going.

Spliting meat can also be a problem if you dont communicate. I had a buddy who went hunting with another friend and they shot a doe. The one guy takes it and says he will get it processed and give the other guy half. That guy says great. When the second guys goes over to get the meat from the first he's thinking about the few steaks, roasts, burger etc that he is going to get. Wrong, the first guy made pepperoni out of the whole deer. The second guy gets handed a box of about 50 pounds of pepperoni and a bill for about 3 times was he was expecting due to the cost of the processing etc. The real kicker he said was that he eats pepperoni but is not a real big fan. He was a little miffed but realized it was not discussed before hand and chalked it up as a learning experience.

Communciation will also alleveate problems you may find in the woods. If you see a guy walking down the road, go up and ask him where he is hunting etc. If you are new to the area he may explain the road network a bit to you, tell you where he may be hunting and where you could go without wrecking each others hunts.

Hope this helps you out.

BHB

04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
This is a "no hard feelings' story AS these two are good friends.
My Dad lives in victoria as I. One of his partners lives in Nanaimo. The two were hunting in the middle. Dad shot a deer. Gave it to Jhon to take to the butcher. Jhon did this, But then never gave dad any of it...He ate it.
They have a cabin they hunt out of and the idea was to do the switch at the cabin the next weekend hunting. Jhon never brought the deer, They never went the next weekend. In the ned Jhon Hyjacked a deer.
This is one in a myriad of funny stories mad over the last 30years they have hunted togeather

Blktail
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I will never hunt twice with a gut that is too proud, lazy or stupid to bring a watch and use it. I have spent too much time waiting and worrying for partners to show up from a walk.

Just because your partner got up first on the first day and got the coffee on and the tent warm doesn't mean he wants to do it every day. Share all the chores.

Bring enough gear.

Pay your share.

Spy
04-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Do your share of the work around camp [firewood/dishes/cleanup/skinning etc], and do more of the heavy work if your hunting with a bunch of oldtimers.

Dig a latrine a fair distance from camp, and use it, don't go all over the place, and bury it when you leave.

Don't point your rifle at anyone, and never touch your firearm if you've been drinking.

Don't be cheap, bring enough beer so you don't run out, bring enough cigarettes, bring enough food, bring enough gas for your atv. In fact bring extra so you can hand stuff out or feed an unexpected guest if need be. AND for gawds sake bring enough socks so you don't have to borrow from your partners!!!

Get your butt out of bed in the morning, and put the coffee on.

Talk with your hunting partners before you go out about sharing of meat and who does shooting. We used to share but found out that one fellow would get half your moose and then be hunting with someone else when he got his moose, and then not share any of that one with you. What we do now is keep what we shoot, and if one of us comes up empty at seasons end those with full freezers go for a visit with a few boxes of meat for the poor hapless soul. We always let the junior hunter or the hunter with the least amount of time to hunt shoot first.

Have you got Place for one more,In your hunting camp?:-D
I Like the way you share the meat!:-D

GoatGuy
04-01-2010, 01:04 PM
I will never hunt twice with a gut that is too proud, lazy or stupid to bring a watch and use it. I have spent too much time waiting and worrying for partners to show up from a walk.
old man used to always complain about that so now I tell him I'll be out sometime after dark and before light. Keeps things simple.

frenchbar
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
old man used to always complain about that so now I tell him I'll be out sometime after dark and before light. Keeps things simple.

I remember as a young kid up hunting in the mountains with my dad ...i would ask him what time i should come back to camp ...and he would answer ..when you get something :lol:

GoatGuy
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I remember as a young kid up hunting in the mountains with my dad ...i would ask him what time i should come back to camp ...and he would answer ..when you get something :lol:

That sounds like a heck of a deal.

frenchbar
04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
That sounds like a heck of a deal.

Wish i could go back in time and revisit those days. :-D

frenchbar
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I will always offer the first shot at an animal to whom ever im hunting with...gun safty is my biggest issue when hunting with some one ..if their careless ..and ever point a rifle in my direction thats it ..never hunt with them again .

J_T
04-01-2010, 01:38 PM
If you have an LEH draw that follows an earlier draw,
Don't get there 3 days early and tear up the countryside scouting
while the group ahead of you is still trying to fill their tags.
We experience this from time to time. Sheep hunters cutting trail (chainsaws) and using quads on the very ridge of the mountain we're hunting (bow only). Rifle hunters coming in before the 10th, parking beside our vehicle and proceeding to hike up the mountain to glass for the elk we are hunting.

But it's crown land. Not much you can do about it.

BuriedByTheDead
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
if someone says there gonna be 30 minutes and they take 1h 30m dont complain or go to them they probably found game or a beauty spot to look over ;)

frenchbar
04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
We experience this from time to time. Sheep hunters cutting trail (chainsaws) and using quads on the very ridge of the mountain we're hunting (bow only). Rifle hunters coming in before the 10th, parking beside our vehicle and proceeding to hike up the mountain to glass for the elk we are hunting.

But it's crown land. Not much you can do about it.

unfortunatly crap like that will never stop,,,the mentality of hunters is getting worse all the time!!

04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
if someone says there gonna be 30 minutes and they take 1h 30m dont complain or go to them they probably found game or a beauty spot to look over ;)

but while you sit in your truck waiting or at the fork in the road waiting or wherever? I freaking hate that! If you shot one or are tracking a buck you saw ok but just because you feel hot? nope

But...... all this can be avoided by using a radio and staying in range. If I know befor i leave MY spot that you are going to be late i will easily extend my walk to compinsate.

Dont leave your buddie hanging waiting for you. You could need help what ever. Like i said if you shot one fine but you buddie wants to hunt to not wait for you

MichelD
04-01-2010, 02:22 PM
As Frenchbar said.

"unfortunatly crap like that will never stop,,,the mentality of hunters is getting worse all the time!!"

I was recently at a place that had once been a hike-in only alpine hunting spot.

Then it was logged almost right to the alpine and you could park at the landing and hike up to good hunting in an hour. Turned into a crowd scene, and in several years it was shot out.

Then the trees grew in, some rocks fell on the road some trees fell over the road and you had to park at least 2 km away and hike up to the old landing just to get started.

I hiked up in 2008 and there were big bucks all over the place, just like I had heard it had been before the road was first punched in.

Went back in 2009 and quadders had cut the fallen trees away and turned it into a drive in place again so they could burn right up into the alpine.

They'd chased the game out of that country again. We were lucky to see two small forkhorns.

frenchbar
04-01-2010, 02:37 PM
As Frenchbar said.

"unfortunatly crap like that will never stop,,,the mentality of hunters is getting worse all the time!!"

I was recently at a place that had once been a hike-in only alpine hunting spot.

Then it was logged almost right to the alpine and you could park at the landing and hike up to good hunting in an hour.

Then the trees grew in, some rocks fell on the road some trees fell over the road and you had to park at least 2 km awy and hike up to the old landing just to get started.

I hiked up in 2008 and there were big bucks all over the place, just like I had heard it had been before the road was first punched in.

Went back in 2009 and quadders had cut the fallen trees away and turned it into a drive in place again so they could burn right up into the alpine.

They'd chased the game out of that country again. We were lucky to see two small forkhorns.

yup ..i know the spot ...its now f....d up for ever:twisted: the other thing is ..it wasnt hunters that made the quad trail.

shadow1982
04-01-2010, 02:49 PM
After taking a dump in the woods make sure you burry it, so noone steps in it, make sure you burry the toilet paper too.

GoatGuy
04-01-2010, 03:03 PM
After taking a dump in the woods make sure you burry it, so noone steps in it, make sure you burry the toilet paper too.

Or put it in a tin of cope and leave it in the middle of the trail.

04-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Or put it in a tin of cope and leave it in the middle of the trail.

ooooooohhhh bad bad

rockdog
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
A buddy of mind forced me to invent this one:
If on the way to the spot you have to pull over and drop a deuce,never EVER stick yer wiping hand into the sunflower seed bag you and your partner have been sharing. Extremely poor form.

hillclimber
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Lots of good information so far. Like many have said, decide before you even leave the driveway to go hunting how the meat is going to be split.

I do a lot of road hunting and the rule is who ever spots it first get to shoot, or whoever's side the animal is on get's to shoot.

Also we split the fuel bill unless someone is willing to pay for it all. This however can lead to an argument saying well i paid for fuel so i should blah blah blah....

Also we split the food bill or everyone will chip in some money and the leftover money is split evenly between. Also what you could do is have everyone bring their own small cooler with their own food.

log_roller
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
A buddy of mind forced me to invent this one:
If on the way to the spot you have to pull over and drop a deuce,never EVER stick yer wiping hand into the sunflower seed bag you and your partner have been sharing. Extremely poor form.

The old stick and lick technique :mrgreen:

Jelvis
04-01-2010, 04:56 PM
No wearing deer lure all over your pants and sitting in my Escalade 4 wheel all wheel drive while I got the heater and fan on full blast listening to Ozzy's shot in the dark.

moosinaround
04-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Pay for half of everything

Do half of the chores and clean up

Help with clean up

Did I mention clean up??

All meat is split in what ever portion there is there, halvsies, thirdsies, what ever!

Leave the dope at home

Booze only in spill proof containers!!

stanway
04-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Booze only in spill proof containers!!

Ah, the Bubba sippy cup. Good idea!:mrgreen:

sawmill
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
No wearing deer lure all over your pants and sitting in my Escalade 4 wheel all wheel drive while I got the heater and fan on full blast listening to Ozzy's shot in the dark.

Man I get that one!There`s one guy I`ll never hunt with again cause of that.His was Bull elk in rut scent,pants,jacket,boots........
Anyway it`s all been said.Pull your weight,don`t be a dickhead whiner,split everthing even.....food gas game and bring extra .And be funny ,good humour go`s a long way on a shitty day.Oh.Learn how to cook real well,that way you don`t have to do dishes.

300H&H
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
If you see me hunting in a area, leave me to hunt that area alone. There are lots of other spots for you to try.

CanuckShooter
04-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Have you got Place for one more,In your hunting camp?:-D
I Like the way you share the meat!:-D

You'll have to PM a formal request to accompany...and we'll put it to a vote!:mrgreen:

upnover
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Boy, did this post get me thinking. I always have a good big swede-saw in my truck cause there is always new blowdown. The hunters who make the most one shot kills are the guys who see the animal before the animal see's him. Sounds obvious but its so nice to squeeze one off at an animal that has no idea you are there. Try to spend the night out there instead of constantly waking up at 4 am and burning more gas. Cause you'll be hunting the moment you stick your head out of the tent. And lastly always have a sense of humour because things always go wrong and you will really find out what your hunting partner is made of when you are cold, wet, tired, and 2 more hours of bushwacking away from anything resembling comfort.

Caveman
04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Many of these have already been mentioned, but doesn't to repeat them

If you're with a partner, split the cost, split the meat, discuss or flip a coin for the first shot. Share the experience, in the end that's what it's all about.

Be responsible for your actions, stay within the law and rules. Give your fellow hunters their space. Find another spot if you encounter someone. Always stop and lend a hand is you see someone that needs it

Do your target shooting before you go out hunting, be confident with your skills. Take only the cleanest of shots to ensure that you kill your prey quickly.

Become that hunter that others look to for advice and want to learn from and when you can give that advice

To me these are the first things that come to mind, so in my thinking they are some of the most important IMHO!!

gutpile
04-09-2010, 01:50 AM
I had a partner and we were driving home and we decided to do a pit stop.And my partner had a leak and after we started again driving again he gets out plastic bag and pulls out a sausage and brakes it half and gives me half of it. I couldn't say no because i didn't know him that well. but i kept thinking where his hand was a few minutes earlier. Probably added a bit more salt to the sausage since he hadn't taken a bath in a week. :icon_frow

MFERGIE
04-09-2010, 03:40 AM
If you say your bringing the coffee....BRING THE COFFEE! "And none of this exotic vanilla stuff!

You shoot it, you gut it!!...if you don't know how, youtube it before heading out!

Dispose of the gut piles somewhere off the beaten trail..."no brainer"

04-09-2010, 07:40 AM
If you say your bringing the coffee....BRING THE COFFEE! "And none of this exotic vanilla stuff!

"

Sooo true, I hate that hazelnut crap! I can deal with cream or sugar but prefer it black.

Phreddy
04-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Sooo true, I hate that hazelnut crap! I can deal with cream or sugar but prefer it black.

Just like my heart. :twisted:
Putting cream and sugar into good coffee is like adding pop or water to good whiskey.

dawn2dusk
04-09-2010, 08:10 AM
When going on hunting trips with partners make sure you are both on the same page when it comes to sharing or not sharing any meat. Old school is you share evenly,idiot school is not sharing at all.

Very good suggestion, I remember my first hunt. We ran into this problem. There were three of us and we only got one mulie. They guy that shot it did not want to share and we had not discussed. We almost killed each other. Pretty immature looking back, but it could have been avoided through a civil discussion before hand.

If it is not your truck, be very sensitive to the owner and how you treat his truck and equipment. treat it better than your own. Bring a change of clothes and boots for the end of the day. Help clean-up. Dont be a lazy ass. Chip in more that your share for gas food etc. this type of behavior will guarnetee you will be in the good books. If you off roading, get out and help guide the driver if he is in a tough spot or to hold back overgrown branches. Make sure you have your license and your more than self sufficient. Do not forget something at the top of a clearcut and then when you are half way home remember. DOAH! that will really piss hte driver off.

04-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Just like my heart. :twisted:
Putting cream and sugar into good coffee is like adding pop or water to good whiskey.

dont ya hate that!
2 ice cubes in 4oz is goodder

1/2 slam
04-09-2010, 08:45 AM

Isn't that the truth.

skibum
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the posts - Question about first shot -- it misses or the animal does not drop, does / can your buddy take the next shot, or does first shot really mean that the animal is "reserved" for who got first shot to finish it off?

scope-bite
04-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Let the first shooter finish the job. If the animal is wounded and for some reason the first shooter can't finish it off then I'd say it's ok for the second guy to shoot it (providing he/she has a tag).

I get great fulfillment when my buddy shoots something because you can bug the crap out of them during the pack out and ask questions like "why couldn't you shoot something closer to the road"?

04-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the posts - Question about first shot -- it misses or the animal does not drop, does / can your buddy take the next shot, or does first shot really mean that the animal is "reserved" for who got first shot to finish it off?

This can be a bad question legally, My opinion is
Shooter does not drop animal, Given that it is hit but not down. Partner shoots.
There are many ways to spin this but if you are beside your partner kill the animal as fast as you can. If he buggered it up it is his fault for not "getting the kill"
To me this is where law and ethics gets blurry. Sorry but to me if there is a tag a wounded animal gets shot by me if my pal messes up. When i am beside him to know exactly what animal is being shot.

This in my mind is a big one to talk about first. It is a very real situation

Archer
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Seems like pretty well everything has been said, but heres a bit more:

-Don't break or "bend" any rules or regulations, or go along with anyone who is, no matter how minor they seem (like the " I don't have a tag for that species, but I'll shoot now then go pick up a tag in town"). Hate that crap.

-If on a day trip, be clear with your partner about when you leave, and when you will return. Sure is lame when you get out to the woods and buddy starts clock-watching, all worried because his wife was mad about him being gone for the day.

-When an animal is down, don't be shy about the grunt work. Get in there, get dirty, and get the job done.

-Joke, laugh, and have a good time; humor goes a long ways.

quadrakid
04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
If a hunting partner shares his honey hole with you please don,t make it your favorite spot,or tell anybody else about it.

Jelvis
04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
If we are hunting in an area that I know real good, and are hiking back into the forested ridges for a big mule buck do not make fibs or try to keep up with me if your leg, knees, or what ever is starting to hurt a bit.
Just say, " Hey man, my knees buggin me." O.k let's slow down and we will circle back slow, and hunt towards the truck. Done.
No use being to proud and following my butt way back in the bush and you don't know where you are. Then your knee pops and now, it's a different story two km from the truck. So hey pick some one who likes to hunt similar to your style. Road hunter, or walking way back, pick the one you fit in with because, you will help each other that way, and work together.
jElvi$ If we were to hunt we'll be walkin in light coming out with a buck rack ..
Gut it, cut the skull plate and antlers off, half it, drag it, take it home.
Just don't wander off in the thick stuff and get your self all scared and all.
Make noise whistle I could hear you and take you back to the truck..L w.
I'll do my best not to lose you on your own, up the Nor river. Promise. lol.

ve7iuq
04-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Who gets the shot is a very important descision that should be agreed upon before leaving the camp. A plan we have used that has always worked trouble free, is to take a given time period, usually either 15 or 30 minutes, when the designated shooter has the shot during that period. Flip to see who gets first period, then change after every time period ends.
The who sees him first plan can cause lots of trouble. Too often the game appears visible to both hunters at the same time. I was once with a fellow when a buck appeared to both of us. His rifle was immediately to his shoulder and, bang. That was on a simple hunt for deer, but I declined to go with him on a sheep hunt because of that. I am thoughtful toward my partner and I expect the other fellow to be respectful of me.

ve7iuq
04-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Couldn't resist adding to this quote--"you will really find out what your hunting partner is made of when you are cold, wet, tired, and 2 more hours of bushwacking away from anything resembling comfort."

How very, very true. Also, at this stage how about the fellow with you who blames everything on you, even to him being soaking wet and cold!

Jelvis
04-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd rather see my partner get the nice buck, so if I see one that's smaller than my top four, it's like shoot man, go ahead ... BANG! I say ...if it's bigger than my top four, drop the gloves .. BOOM! You were too slow bud.. sorry He was going to run I had too. lol. BTW it made the BOOK! POW!

Ltbullken
04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Read the BC Hunting Reg Synopsis, page 17 - there is a section in there on hunting ethics and etiquette. Good start. Think courtesies with other hunters, how would you want yourself to be treated, your property respected, etc.? Good start in asking on this web site, btw.

TUG
04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
1) Never hunt with someone you dont know
2)Everthing will be shared down the the middle if you are hunting with a buddy this will already be clear
3)Don't bother someones hunting buggy you never know when they are watching you
4)wobble pops at end of day
5)Remember this is fun leave the macho bull @home

tug

betteroffishing
04-09-2010, 09:01 PM
in a winter hunt , he who takes a pee in the middle of the night is to stoke the fire in the stove . its the rules man.
never just invite people to a shared hunt without first checking with all other members of shared hunt for compatability reasons , can make for a miserable camp when the old man gets ornery.

AT&T
12-03-2010, 04:12 PM

20. For those of you who think I am serious

I thought this was perfect! Not to often I read something so bang on. It must come from alot of experience. Good job. You must not live in Vancouver:-D

JAFA
12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
When you have been sitting on a sappy log, don't go and sit in your buddies new truck and get *%^*ing sap all over the seat. Do what your son did and ask for a cushion before sitting in my ... er your friends truck.

%&ck! still pisses me off.