PDA

View Full Version : Archery Grizzly with Misty Mountain Outfitters

elkwhisper
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi guys! New to this forum and wondering if anyone has ever hunted Spring Grizzly with Misty mountain outfitters north of Smithers, or hunted teh spring in that general area. My plan is to tackle this hunt with archery equipment, and I would be interested in hearing anyones experince in the area.

What are the odds of slipping inside 40 yards with one these guys that time of year?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

Elkwhisper

springpin
03-31-2010, 05:33 PM
good luck with that..You got bigger ones than I do....

springpin
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM
I guess that's your joke...as a Joke is required for first posts.

killman
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Joke?????? Pretty sure it is required around here.:-D

Welcome.

killman
03-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Oh ya and a pic of your wife or girlfriend is also required.

springpin
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Killman....That's Creepy....I like it..lol

ve7iuq
03-31-2010, 05:46 PM
OK, I'll take a shot at it. (No pun intended.)
Using legal hunting methods, I think it is nearly impossible. And I don't think you could pay a licenced BC outfitter enough, to have him break the law and bait a bear for you.
Otherwise, how do you expect to get into range an animal with just as good of ears and nose as exhists in the wild?

KB90
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
OK, I'll take a shot at it. (No pun intended.)
Using legal hunting methods, I think it is nearly impossible. And I don't think you could pay a licenced BC outfitter enough, to have him break the law and bait a bear for you.
Otherwise, how do you expect to get into range an animal with just as good of ears and nose as exhists in the wild?

It's not nearly impossible, lots of people have killed grizzlies with bows.:confused:

I won't ever be one of them though:-D

BCbillies
03-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Not many guys on this site would use the outfitter and pay $16,000 when we can do it for $80 plus a little money for food and fuel. More than a few of us on this site including myself have hunted the area and got it done with a rifle. A lot tougher to get within 40 yards on a spring hunt as compared to a fall hunt on the creeks. What are your hunt dates . . . as that will make a difference?

With a bow the guide will most likely set you up in a tree stand along a trail at the base of the mountain between slides . . . but you will need a whole lot of patience!

GoatGuy
03-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Pretty good number of bears in that country and Derek's a good guy.

Long as you can get onto some bears you've got a good chance. That area might be more productive come fall with that old burn in it, don't know.

GoatGuy
03-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Not many guys on this site would use the outfitter and pay $16,000 when we can do it for $80 plus a little money for food and fuel. More than a few of us on this site including myself have hunted the area and got it done with a rifle. A lot tougher to get within 40 yards on a spring hunt as compared to a fall hunt on the creeks. What are your hunt dates . . . as that will make a difference?

With a bow the guide will most likely set you up in a tree stand along a trail at the base of the mountain between slides . . . but you will need a whole lot of patience!

Thought he was a non-resident?

If a resident then ya do it yourself. That country is pretty much a guaranteed draw for grizz and there's no shortage of them.

One other thing, if you get out early enough (April) seems you can often sit back and pattern the times and where the boars pop out on the slides. Once they start sniffing it's a crap shoot.

BCbillies
03-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Thought he was a non-resident?

If a resident then ya do it yourself. That country is pretty much a guaranteed draw for grizz and there's no shortage of them.

I assumed the same but I would think that 98% of the regulars on this site are residents and therefore wouldn't use the services of the guide. There is a good chance a few guys know the outfitter personally.

GoatGuy
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Sometimes they're hanging out right on the highway up there. Interrupted the boys coffee break.

From 08.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/grizz3.jpg

pnbrock
03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
dont know bcbillies think after my expences may be around $16000 fuel at a $109 per ltr.hotel ,dinning out,taxi.

.330 Dakota
03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Take a rifle just in case

elkwhisper
03-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Wow.... lots of traffic on this board. I am a non resident (Montana) and this is not my "regular" board, but I thought who better to ask than the guys that live there. I certainly can't afford this hunt personally, but I actually won it as an award from work.

My hunt is scheduled June 2-14th. I REALLY want to do this with my bow, and am not affraid of challenge and although I have healthy respect for bears, I am not necesarilly scared of getting close to bears, as I have done it before, with a couple of blacks and a brown bear taken from the ground.

That said, am I completely crazy for trying this in the spring with a bow??? What about black bear that time of year as I will have a tag for them and wolves as well.

And since a joke and photo of my significant other are required.... here you go:

Subject: ELECTRIC FENCE AND THE LAWN MOWER

For those of us who do work in the yard occasionally.. Remember the checklist!

This is funny......and true. This was sent by a retired dentist.

We have the standard 6 ft. fence in the backyard, and a few months ago, I heard about burglaries increasing dramatically in the entire city. To make sure this never happened to me, I got an electric fence and ran amusingly wire along the top of the fence.

Actually, I got the biggest cattle charger Tractor Supply had, made for 26 miles of fence. I then used an 8 ft. long ground rod, and drove it 7.5 feet into the ground. The ground rod is the key, with the more you have in the ground, the better the fence works.

One day I'm mowing the back yard with my cheapo Wal-Mart 6 hp big wheel push mower. The hot wire is broken and laying out in the yard. I knew for a fact that I unplugged the charger. I pushed the mower around the wire and reached down to grab it, to throw it out of the way.

It seems as though I hadn't remembered to unplug it after all.

Now I'm standing there, I've got the running lawnmower in my right hand and the 1.7 giga-volt fence wire in the other hand. Keep in mind the charger is about the size of a marine battery and has a picture of an upside down cow on fire on the cover.

Time stood still.

The first thing I notice is my pecker trying to climb up the front side of my body. My ears curled downwards and I could feel the lawnmower ignition firing in the backside of my brain. Every time that Briggs & Stratton rolled over, I could feel the spark in my head. I was literally
at one with the engine.

It seems as though the fence charger and the piece of shit lawnmower were fighting over who would control my electrical impulses.

Science says you cannot crap, pee, and vomit at the same time. I beg to differ. Not only did I do all three at once, but my bowels emptied 3 different times in less than half of a second. It was a Matrix kind of bowel movement, where time is creeping along and you're all leaned back and BAM BAM BAM you just crap your pants 3 times. It seemed like there
were minutes in between but in reality it was so close together it was like exhaust pulses from a big block Chevy turning 8 grand.

At this point I'm about 30 minutes (maybe 2 seconds) into holding onto the fence wire. My hand is wrapped around the wire palm down so I can't let go. I grew up on a farm so I know all about electric fences.....but Dad always had those pieces of shit chargers made by International or whoever that were like 9 volts and just kinda tickled.

This one I could not let go of. The 8 foot long ground rod is now accepting signals from me through the permadamp Ark-La-Tex river bottom soil. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to have to just man up and take it, until the lawnmower runs out of gas.

'Damn!,' I think, as I remember I just filled the tank!

Now the lawnmower is starting to run rough. It has settled into a loping run pattern as if it had some kind of big lawnmower race cam in it. Covered in poop, pee, and with my vomit on my chest I think 'Oh God please die... Pleeeeaze die'. But nooooo, it settles into the rough lumpy cam idle nicely and remains there, like a big bore roller cam EFI
motor waiting for the go command from its owner's right foot.

So here I am in the middle of July, 104 degrees, 80% humidity, standing in my own backyard, begging God to kill me. God did not take me that day.....he left me there covered in my own fluids to writhe in the misery my own stupidity had created..

I honestly don't know how I got loose from the wire...I woke up laying on the ground hours later. The lawnmower was beside me, out of gas. It was later on in the day and I was sunburned.

There were two large dead grass spots where I had been standing, and then another long skinny dead spot where the wire had laid while I was on the ground still holding on to it. I assume I finally had a seizure and in the resulting thrashing had somehow let go of the wire.

Upon waking from my electrically induced sleep I realized a few things:

1- Three of my teeth seem to have melted.

2- I now have cramps in the bottoms of my feet and my right butt cheek (not the left, just the right).

3- Poop, pee, and vomit when all mixed together, do not smell as bad as you might think.

4- My left eye will not open.

5- My right eye will not close...

6- The lawnmower runs like a sumbitch now. Seriously! I think our little session cleared out some carbon fouling or something, because it was better than new after that.

7- My nuts are still smaller than average yet they are almost a foot long.

8- I can turn on the TV in the game room by farting while thinking of the number 4 (still don't understand this???)..

That day changed my life. I now have a newfound respect for things.. I appreciate the little things more, and now I always triple check to make sure the fence is unplugged before I mow.

The good news, is that if a burglar does try to come over the fence, I can clearly visualize what my security system will do to him, and THAT gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over, which also reminds me to triple check before I mow.

d6dan
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Blackies are open as well. As for the pics..well...make'em bigger next time:tongue: eh. JK.. Good luck on the Griz hunt..

Oh yeah, jokes okay...

GoatGuy
03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Yes, there will also be lots of black bears.

Your guide will probably have a backup rifle so if you decide you want to use it you can if the bow thing doesn't work out.

Not crazy by any stretch, just a challenge.

BCbillies
03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Good chance at a big boar in June. It's a tough go getting close on a stalk when you're walking on cornflakes. May have to ditch the boots and walk with socks. Would love to get a grizz with a bow . . . best wishes on this hunt and post some photos when your back.

Kirby
03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
That said, am I completely crazy for trying this in the spring with a bow??? What about black bear that time of year as I will have a tag for them and wolves as well.

Not at all, Bow is a great way to go if I ever chase them thats what I'll be carrying. Rifles not a bad idea in case you change your mind and get a chance at one with the boom stick.

Kirby

BromBones
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
It most certainly can be done!

One of the best grizzly areas around, and it holds some pretty good sized ones. Last grizzly I took up there was @ 34 yards - on a dead run at us. Some very nice black bears around as well.

Best of luck.

elkwhisper
03-31-2010, 07:33 PM
"34 yards" sounds good....... "On a dead run at us", sounds a little intense. Although I did have a black bear charge me once, and was able to get three arrows in her in about 5 seconds. According to the Fish and Game she was over 20 years old, and I must have looked like her last meal ;)

elkdom
03-31-2010, 08:48 PM
"34 yards" sounds good....... "On a dead run at us", sounds a little intense. Although I did have a black bear charge me once, and was able to get three arrows in her in about 5 seconds. According to the Fish and Game she was over 20 years old, and I must have looked like her last meal ;)

first off, a Big Grizzly can live a lot longer than 5 seconds,even with his heart blown apart! so the 2nd and 3rd arrow means very little,!:?

secondly a Grizzly will cover a LOT more distance than 30 yards in 5 seconds!, Grizz with a heart shot out can make 70/80 yards, NO Problem!:-|

thirdly! if he focuses on YOU when he starts hurtin??? this thread will get a lot more interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

elkwhisper
03-31-2010, 09:26 PM
No question the big bears deserve a ton of respect. The only way this will go down, is if I can slip in close without the bear knowing I'm even on the same planet.

I have had a lot of time to think about the logistics of what happens once I am within 40 yards..... and believe it or not, I'm ready for that..... I think. My planning focus now, is directed toward figuring out how to get within that range.

I plan on going into this deal as prepared as I can, both from an equipment standpoint and a mental standpoint.

Thakns guys!

Elkwhisper

BCbillies
03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
In 2004 my cousin and I both managed a grizz each on the same day up in that area. He intended to use his bow but the grizz came at full charge at 40 yards and the rifle was called to action. In most instances they head the opposite direction but not always! :shock:

325 wsm
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Derek has some hot spots for big grizz so there's a good chance of you arrowing one. Pre plan ahead of time with him to make sure your guide is carrying a suitable back up rifle. Good luck!

srupp
03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
As has been mentioned fall grizzlies on the coast or along a river would be a "better "bet

HOWEVER it can be done..having a competent guide is a great start..as he will know his area and the bears and places to look...

First 2 weeks in June are the most productive around here for mountain bears that are comepletely concerned with food..with a bit of wind and watching the thermals it is a very doable situation..

What happens AFTER the shot is unfortunatley completely up to the G bear..he either comes AT you or runs away..fight or flight..if he comes at you the bow and arrow is useless...

I admire your courage...a worthy and lofty goal..good luck..

steven

elkwhisper
03-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Man I am glad I found this board.... I've gotten more good input from this thread and several pm's in a couple hours than I have gotten on my regular websites over the last 6 weeks. Thanks for all the help and keep it coming!

In regards to a guide with a suitable rifle..... already covered that with Derek and we should be good to go there. I wish I had the option of carrying a side arm up there, as that would at least be a little insurance, but that obviously isn't an option.

I can't imagine trying to try and pack a long gun and a bow on a stalk.... so I guess I will have to depend on my guide should the bear head my way. Some of you have mentioned some first hand experience bow hunting grizzly. For those of you that have done it, did you use a rifle man for back up, and if so did he stick right by your side even on the final yards for the stalk. Or is it better to have him cover you from 50 yards back or so, it being of the utmost importance to not let the bear know you are there???

Thanks again!

elkwhisper
03-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Also... for those of you that have hunted this area? How big of a bear should I consider a shooter. Any bear is a good bear with my bow, but how big would a bear have to be for me to drop the dream of using archery gear and grab the rifle?

I am in this more for the experience that B&C or P&Y score, but it would be nice to know what to expect, as I know different areas offer different trophy potential.

Duckman
03-31-2010, 11:29 PM
WOW. What a cool thread! Best of luck to you elkwhisper.

PS Hope you post up a few stories and pics after your hunt!

Shermdog
03-31-2010, 11:35 PM
You will love the country up there elk whisperer. I am from prince rupert and there are some big bears on the north coast....such as the kootsmatyeen grizzly bear sanctuary, and more inland around smithers ft st james etc. At the smithers airport they have quite a big grizz that killed tons of cattle and was killed and stuffed. Northern BC definitly has some big Grizz! I look forward to seeing your pics and to hearing your feedback!

dutchie
03-31-2010, 11:59 PM
That is a certifiably insane Idea...

I don't know if I like it... but I would try it if there was someone backing me up with their 416 ruger...

BigBore14... you down for the challenge?

Dutchie

dutchie
04-01-2010, 12:00 AM
but that is something that you only "try" once...

if you fail... well you are dead.

Dutchie

pete_k
04-01-2010, 12:04 AM
What are the odds of slipping inside 40 yards with one these guys that time of year?

Alot better than slipping back out.
Good luck

Caribou_lou
04-01-2010, 09:22 AM
That should be a good time of year for archery grizz, they should be chasing the sows by then. Might be rubbing that late in the season. And you should most deffinatly have a black bear tag.

I prefer to hunt them earlier in late april or early may on the slides, but it would be very hard to get in close with the bow. dry grass makes for noisy walking.

Good Luck

04-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Also... for those of you that have hunted this area? How big of a bear should I consider a shooter. Any bear is a good bear with my bow, but how big would a bear have to be for me to drop the dream of using archery gear and grab the rifle?

I am in this more for the experience that B&C or P&Y score, but it would be nice to know what to expect, as I know different areas offer different trophy potential.

I would say drop the bow and grab the rifle for any bear 7 foot and up (measured nose to tail). That's not a huge bear, but a real trophy.

yukon john
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM

I would say thats a very personal choice, I think most people would agree that 8 feet is the mark for a good solid bear, but it depends on a lot of things. Even with a rifle a griz hunt is not easy and you may not get one. Before you go on any guided hunt you should decide what criteria a trophy has to meet to make you satisfied and be honest with yourself. Are you ever going to be able to afford another hunt for griz? Is taking home a rug important to you or is taking a bear with a bow the most important factor. If you would be happy with a six foot bear then dont kid yourself, I have had many clients pass up animals that they would have been thrilled to take home just because it was early in the hunt, only to go home empty handed and dissapointed. That said, good luck I hope you get a monster and dont forget to put the pictures up here.

BCbillies
04-01-2010, 12:16 PM

My experience is that an average boar is in the 7' range, while small is 6' and a good bear is 8'. Depending upon what we're looking for we've taken all those sizes. Last spring we pulled out an 8'3" old boar that went 23 8/16" with a mint hide and we've taken a 6'6" bear that was blonde also with a mint hide and I was very satisfied. IMHO you present a 7'+ bear . . . decent hide . . . later in the hunt . . . I'd be seriously considering the rifle. If I hadn't taken a bear before I'd be less selective.

srupp
04-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Good advice from Bc billies..

srr

kennyj
04-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I think if you could spot a bear feeding heavily you could probably stalk him for a bow shot. ( sounds a little hairy ) I saw a bunch of nice grizzlies in this area in the fall.I got within 40 yds or so of a dandy feeding on berries. Id give it a go.
kenny
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/BT_deer_051.jpg

Gamebuster
04-01-2010, 08:34 PM

seen some really big bears in that area also. I believe there was a grizz killed in the ningunsaw area last spring that squared nearly 10'.

BromBones
04-01-2010, 09:00 PM
For those of you that have done it, did you use a rifle man for back up, and if so did he stick right by your side even on the final yards for the stalk. Or is it better to have him cover you from 50 yards back or so, it being of the utmost importance to not let the bear know you are there???

I'd be wanting your guide/backup gunner close to you, as it never hurts to be prepared for the worst case scenario. If shit hits the fan, your backup guy needs to be on the ball.

It may make your stalk longer/more difficult but at least you'll be covering your ass. Working your stalk so that you stagger you movements will help your chances - if your guide waits while you work ahead 20 ft or so, & then you hunker down while he closes the gap. I've done that when backing up bowhunters with my rifle (for black bears) and it works, it's just really slow.

brad ferris
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
considering you're from out of country you may only get this one oppertunity to hunt g bears in bc.i would concern myself less about the size of the bear and more about haveing the bear in a position that makes a bow range stalk posible.whether you kill one or not you still got to hunt them and thats what it's all about. if i was in your shoes i would trust my guide to judge it a mature boar and then the rest is up to you.
good luck

Riverratz
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Just a couple of bow Griz. stories to get your adrenaline level up;
Both of these guys are no b/s sorts, and the stories are credible.

A good friend of mine took an 8' boar Griz with his bow on a solo DIY hunt on the coast near Kemano about 15 years ago. I wasn't there obviously, so I can only relate his story to me back then.
There was a length of beach that he found fresh sign/tracks on. The beach was littered with large boulder rocks of varying sizes, tree stumps, root balls, etc. He noted over a couple of days that several Griz. came down at low tide to scavenge for dead fish, etc. One evening, low tide, he set up with his bow behind one of those large rocks and waited. A Griz. appeared and started to wander around at random looking for food. He waited behind the rock hoping it would wander closer. It did. At approx. 30 yd. he released an arrow, a perfect hit just behind the shoulder, broadside. After the hit, only the fletching was visible indicating a very deep penetration. The bear went berserk, roaring and snarling, snapping at the fletching and attacking, ripping, clawing and biting every piece of drift wood and rock it could find. The bear was dislodging and moving huge tree stumps/root balls, literally attacking everything in sight. Buddy realized at this point what he had unleashed and was suddenly gripped with a huge urge to load his pants. He was tempted to run for his life because he knew that if the bear sensed he was there he was dead. He had no where to go and if he ran the bear would see him for sure. He somehow managed to stay put, staying hidden behind the rock hoping beyond all hope that the bear didn't come his way and watching the destruction happening in front of him. This went on for almost 20 minutes, until the bear finally died. The broadhead had completely passed through both lungs but had missed the heart. He said he would never do it again alone, and never without a good gun backup.

Another solo, diy hunt, interior BC; friend of mine set up in a tree stand beside a known Griz. trail. Without going into all the detail, the arrow was a perfect pass through behind the shoulder, but angling down at about 45 degrees. The same scenario took place. The bear went completely deranged and tore up the ground and bush for a 20 ft. circle around the tree he was in. It somehow figured out he was up in the tree. It attacked the tree, and for a while he thought the bear would actually rip and chew its way right through the trunk and bring the tree and him to the ground. Fortunately that didn't happen, as the bear died after about 10 minutes of complete madness. It was a 7' boar. He also said he wouldn't ever do it again without a backup.

To be sure you are in for some excitement. We'll all be waiting anxiously to hear the results and the stories, successful or not. Hope you have a great hunt. Good Luck.