PDA

View Full Version : Grizz Meat

Centerfire
03-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone,

So I was reading another thread when i noticed a post that stated that grizzly meat is not safe for consumption by humans. Is this true?

-Centerfire

03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
B S !!

If your worried about it have it tested, that said a salmon eating bear will taste like salmon, or fishy bear meat if you can imagine that. But mountain Grizz..... nothing wrong with it, roasts, chops sausage, it is like pork. Personally I will never shoot one with out taking the meat, so Salmon bears are out for me.

CT

BromBones
03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Just have to cook it well and it's fine. Smoked grizzly ham is not too bad, as is the sausage, as long as it's not a fish bear like curly said.

The only bad grizz I've had was a couple years ago - I spent two days on the mountain trying to get this grizz, in what should have been a half a day deal. By the time I shot him I was out of food, so I peeled out some backstrap and toasted it on a stick over the fire when I got back down to timberline. That bear must have been eating rotten caribou, cause it was pretty rank meat! But after those two days I was hungry enough to eat the arse out of a skunk medium-rare, so I managed the grizz steak just fine. A little salt woulda helped tho;)

ufishifish2
03-30-2010, 09:50 PM
I copied this from an older thread because I don't know how else to lead you there. This info came from PMJ. Thanks to him.

Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture
This is for the Abbotsford location serving the Fraser Valley. To contact your nearest Ministry Of Agriculture Resource Management Branch to see if they do the test in your area follow link: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/Contacts.htm#RMB

In Abbotsford this is where to take a sample of your bear meat to get it tested for trichinella round worm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis).
I confirmed this information by phone on Friday May 9, 2008. Please follow all the instructions.
The cost is $30.00 plus gst.
The following is required for the sample:
A chunk (small fist size piece) of one or more of the following in the prefered order: tongue (best place to test), cheek, diaphragm, part of muscle.
(Last year they told me providing all 4 would be best.)
Packaged really well. Triple bagged. Fresh or frozen.

I talked on the phone to Murdena. She works in Animal Health where they do the test. She advised me of the following: The test you want is called the Histo test. They take a slide sample and examine it under the microscope.
I advised her I would be posting this information on Hunting BC forum. I also checked, they do eat Tim Horton donuts, please addres the donuts to "Animal Health". For pr. purposes please let them know you heard about them on Hunting BC.

Your samples can be dropped off at the reception at the main entrance or reception at the other entrance to Animal Health.
They are open Monday to Friday 8:30 to 4:30.

Here is their location:
Ministry of Agriculture & Lands Resource Management Branch, Animal Health.
1767 Angus-Campbell Rd.
Abbotsford
Phone 1-888 221 7141
Exit 92 from Highway 1, Abbotsford Sumas north. (2nd street) right on Delair to Angus-Campbell Rd.
See map below or :http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/Contacts.htm#RMB

How to Find Us

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/images/RMBmap.jpg

ibehuntin
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
I made jerky out of last springs G-bear to take to work for the 'guess what your eating' challenge. Not one person guessed Grizz and only one person spit it across the room, but only after being told what it was. The other guys teased him so bad he came back for another try. Most of these guys will eat any type of jerky, even when I tell'em its coyote :wink:. So far none of them have died.
I don't think I would want to eat a coastal bear but a nice mountain bear from the interior is not much different than Black bear.

sillybear
03-31-2010, 03:15 AM
Last year I roasted a boned out hind quarter roast for our club's game banquet. It dissappeared completly to rave reviews!

hunter1947
03-31-2010, 03:46 AM
Not true Griz meat is as good as black bear meat..

Stone Sheep Steve
03-31-2010, 04:47 AM
That's what the anti's keep saying...that the Gov't has deemed grizzly meat not fit for consumption. Makes their argument that it's a pure "Trophy hunt" easier to defend. :roll:

As with any animal, taste depends on what they've been eating.

SSS

hunter1947
03-31-2010, 05:35 AM
We need to get is some bumper stickers made up to put on our bumpers that says eat some Griz meat save a human :mrgreen:..

kennyj
03-31-2010, 06:37 AM
We're hoping to try some Grizzly meat this fall.We've seen them in the burn and alpine where we hunt moose. Nice berry bears.We've never put in for a tag but the odds are good.We had a beauty grizz below us about 800 yds away as we were calling in a bull moose.Wish we had a tag just in case. We shot the moose, de-boned it and had to leave most of it there until the next day.Really wished we had a tag the next day, but the bear didn't touch our meat.
kenny

deerstocker
03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
cook well g bear and b bear lots of worms and for most part dont eat the ones that r feeding on old salmon curly top u r right will taste like old salmon just like a duck or a trout eating old salmon will taste the same way

Caribou_lou
03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
No different than eating black bear. I'd suggest smoking a ham, it's damn good.

Centerfire
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

MOL
03-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Got a spring draw in 7-21 and was wondering if you guys have an opinion on fall vs spring bear! Is one better than the other?

03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
If they are like black bears, It is a 50-50 split.
spring bear has less fat but some think a better chance of a fish bear
fall mountain bear is fattier but fed on grass and berries for the last 6-7 months.

I am bear hunting this spring and fall (black) to find out my self.

03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
I like black bear, the meat always smells good. The only grizzly I shot smelled pretty stinky, so the meat was not appealing. Also...lots of worms under the hide...yuck!:???:

BabineGuide
04-01-2010, 06:07 AM
I am all about utilizing as much of an animal as possible... but last June I got pretty sick after eating a really, really well done griz steak.

NaStY
04-01-2010, 06:21 AM
If they are like black bears, It is a 50-50 split.
spring bear has less fat but some think a better chance of a fish bear
fall mountain bear is fattier but fed on grass and berries for the last 6-7 months.

I am bear hunting this spring and fall (black) to find out my self.

Other way around for the fish part. I did however shoot a big spring bear and it had lots of fat on it. Probably just a well fed one. All other spring bears were pretty lean....

jml11
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Other way around for the fish part. I did however shoot a big spring bear and it had lots of fat on it. Probably just a well fed one. All other spring bears were pretty lean....

A bear that feeds on salmon all fall tastes like fish in the early spring...been there done that...:-?

04-01-2010, 11:42 AM

I'll admit im no authority, I've shot a grand total of one bear. In the spring.
It tasted like fish. And by reading posts and creating a poll, Spring bear can be fishy and fall bear on a river will be fishy. But fall bears high up are the ticket.
Again I've only one down myself but my money is on the fall mountain.
That is the thing about bears they can tase so differant.

wolverine
04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I've only had it once from a buddies bear but there was nothing wrong with it at all. I'm with some of the others, if I can't take the meat I won't take the animal, other than coyotes and the like.

winchester284
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I'll admit im no authority, I've shot a grand total of one bear. In the spring.
It tasted like fish. And by reading posts and creating a poll, Spring bear can be fishy and fall bear on a river will be fishy. But fall bears high up are the ticket.
Again I've only one down myself but my money is on the fall mountain.
That is the thing about bears they can tase so differant.

I guess it depends how early in spring you get the bear. If they've been out and eating greens for a few weeks I doubt there will be any fishy bears.

GoatGuy
04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
All the stuff I've ever had has been fine.

40incher
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
We take every bit of our grizz that is not shot up. We debone the larger muscle groups and then wrap and freeze for at least 6 months. Then we take it to a meat shop and get it cured and smoked. It comes back like the best ham you will ever see. We actually prefer grizzly over black bear meat.

Take the smaller cuts and cube it up, add some garlic and maybe 5-10% pork fat and get it made into garlic coil, pepperoni sticks or hot rods.

Getting a batch made up soon, and hoping to get a backup supply of raw product when it starts to green up.

04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I've only had it once from a buddies bear but there was nothing wrong with it at all. I'm with some of the others, if I can't take the meat I won't take the animal, other than coyotes and the like.

How is a coyotes life less valuable than a grizzly bears?? Or a deer for that matter??