PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Moose?

Albafly
03-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Hey all,

A newbie looking for some general information...

Is the Kamloops area good for moose? Considering i'm pretty new to it all, is this an advisable hunt? I'm looking at LEH information and I want to put in for a moose, but i am not sure if Kamloops is a good general area.

I know lots of people call them swamp donkeys etc so i'm guessing i want an area with lots of swamp/lake habitat? Any other general moose tips would be great!

Thanks!

MuleyMadness
03-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Kamloops area is OKAY for moose, much more deer really than moose, but they are here...much better LEH odds AND opportunites in the 100 mile, Williams Lake, Cariboo region than here. If I had the choice I would be putting my LEH in for region 5, particularly seeing as the odds are so high here.

ufishifish2
03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Completely agree with Muley Madness. You cartainly can get a Moose around Kamloops if you try........ but it may take a while. If you really are determined to get one this year, take the highway and follow it North. You will find new areas, hopefully a great one that will make for good stories each and every year. Find that special spot and make it yours. Best of luck!!
Ufish

The Dawg
03-30-2010, 06:56 PM
If you really are determined to get one this year, take the highway and follow it North.

HORRIBLE ADVICE!! No moose up North ;)

Just reaaaaaaalllllllly ugly horses :D

ufishifish2
03-30-2010, 09:03 PM
HORRIBLE ADVICE!! No moose up North ;)

Just reaaaaaaalllllllly ugly horses :D

I was actually going to tell him to head somewhere North-East of P.G. but figured somebody would say something...........:twisted:

hotload
03-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Completely agree with Muley Madness. You cartainly can get a Moose around Kamloops if you try........ but it may take a while. If you really are determined to get one this year, take the highway and follow it North. You will find new areas, hopefully a great one that will make for good stories each and every year. Find that special spot and make it yours. Best of luck!!
Ufish

This is great advise. Hunting moose as with anything else shouldn't just be about hopefully finding moose because there is a swamp here and there should be moose there. . Newbies need to start creating consistent productive hunting habits by listening, looking, and hearing, inside the bush and outside. Hear how the older hunters have got their game by tried and true methods. As UFISHIFISH says, catch a northerly road into good moose habitat not just, this could be, or should be habitat. This is how to really up your odds. Go find a special spot and make it your go to spot and work it until you really know it. You be the designer of your own prosperous epitaph. GOOD LUCK.

Albafly
05-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think somewhere further north will be a better bet. I think i'll try for an LEH somewhere in region 5, and if that doesn't come through, i'll go further up somewhere nearer PG.

Fall can't come soon enough!

Muledeerjohn
05-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I live in Chase which is just down the road from you and i have got my LEH 2 in 6 years. Harvested a nice 4pt bull last november. three years prior got a good looking immature as well. Im an avid deer and moose hunter here and i seem to find these critters no problem. Just gotta look for em and where i am at a can travel 20 minutes to 2 hours and be in moose country! Seen 1 bull this year already and 4 cows and a calf. Plus about 20 does and 5 bucks (2 that are looking really good already)