PDA

View Full Version : Bass Pro Shops

Ben Fougere
03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Went to Bass Pro Shops today in Calgary. I was very disappointed in their selection of dog supplies. Was hoping to buy the Tri-Tronics Pro 500 G3 EXP e-collar today, but they did not have it. They only carried one tri-tronics collar and no one could really help us out. Apparently, I was decieved by the Bass Pro Shop website when it said that they carry it. It was a "whatever you see on the shelf is all we have" speech.

Hoping that Wholesale Sports is more promising later this week.

Checked out the Tri-Tronics website, cabelas, and canadiangundogsupply.com and all seem to carry the e-collar. Might just end up ordering it online if I can't find it at Wholesale Sports. Thankfully, we didn't just drive 11 hours to Bass Pro Shops for an e-collar. It was a let down in the dog supplies section.

ianwuzhere
03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
how was the rest of the store? worth the drive? I was thinkin bout leavin PG just to explore it for a lil holiday!!

J-F
03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
I had the same reaction a few weeks ago when I walk in there with my "shopping" list... but more generalized.

Big store, lots of stuff, but lots of the same stuff, no selection. I was looking for gaiters, they had only one model... very noisy on top of that. Poor selection of bullets. No optics I hadn't seen elsewhere. Overall, I find my local Wholesales and Powder Keg quite superior.

I didn't check for dog supplies as I got everything I wanted from canadiangundogsupply.com (from which I had an awesome service, over the phone that guy was very helpful).

Only one thing was worth the visit... The smiles on the face of my animal-crazy 2 year old daughter! How many mounts and stuffed animals do they have in that store???

JF

Shooter
03-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I just ordered the Tri-Tronics G3 sport Basic from Bass Pro Shop in the states. It was by far the best price I could find especially since they didn't charge duties and crap on the shipping. All in all I was happy with the deal. I saved about $50 over anywhere else.

springpin
03-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Went last week...to check it out, spent 45 bucks..but got 9 blue fox lures. new hat, new fishing line, gummy worms for kid number 1, a little tin box for kid number 2. All in all I thought it was pretty damn good. They had tons of stuff on sale Cheap. Spent 3 hrs there, and my kids loved it!!

mgnm300
03-30-2010, 06:33 AM
my oldest daughter went there this past weekend. she wanted to find some camo. she was extremely dissapointed as well since they had only one rack consisting a poor selection otherwise she said the mounts were impressive except for the black bears. she said there were no big ones.
she was looking at the bows tho and said she thought they had a good selection for complete set-ups and thought the prices were reasonable on pse,s. i'll be going there myself and check it out with her. she,s kenn on wanting to start bowhunting.

Ben Fougere
03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
If you're looking for a specific item at Bass Pro Shops, I would suggest calling first to find out if they have it in stock and how many they have left. They had a lot of camo, but I didn't find many that I liked. Their main brand of camo is Redhead. I didn't find that they had a huge selection of decoys or upland vests. All in all, I would say that I had my expections set way too high. I expected them to have a wide variety of items whether it be camo, dog supplies or bullets. And the staff wasn't very helpful. I think I only had one person willing to help me there.

If someone wants to simply "check out" Bass Pro Shops I would give it a thumbs up. There are a lot of impressive mounts there. I would agree that the bears weren't all that impressive, but for the number of mounts it's impressive. It seemed that everywhere you look and each time we went back there was something hidden in a corner that I didn't see the first time.

The fishing gear was geared more for Alberta fishing, so I wouldn't go for fishing supplies. You can however, find cheap fishing boats at Bass Pro Shops. I have been tossing the idea of buying a jon boat for duck hunting and they carry Tracker boats here that are reasonably priced. The motors are cheaper than I thought too, but I'm not sure how reliable a Mercury outboard is compared to honda or yamaha.

We got a free photo with the easter bunny. It seems that Bass Pro gears themselves towards the family. Sounds like Christmas with Santa is something else.

I still need to check out wholesale sports in Calgary, but it's looking like I may be ordering more things online from now on, including the Tri-Tronics e-collar. I am disappointed because it's always nice to be able to hold something in your hands before you buy it.

.330 Dakota
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
You want a real Bass Pro ya gotta go to Vegas. I was there last year and the behind the counter guys will even deal and give you better prices than the sale price...bought lots of stuff, it was a hoot

Lots'oLabs
03-30-2010, 01:12 PM
If you're looking for a Tritronics collar check out
www.canadapets.com (http://www.canadapets.com)

Spampy
03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
The trip to the store is worth it. It is the rednecks disneyland.
I found a pair of Rivers West pants, only pair in the store. When I went to the till, they rung them up as on sale and $70.00 off. They came to $20.00! All I thought was...START THE CAR!!!!
I have heard of others getting good deals at the till. One teller could not find a price for a hat so she gave it for FREE.
I dare you to get into the entrance without saying WOW.
One of a kind in Western Canada. WSS are all the same, pricey.
Send the women and kids to the icecream/coffee bar and go exploring.

mrdoog
03-30-2010, 02:26 PM
The Bass Pro in Vegas had rocking deals when we down there last December.
Anyone looking for reasonably priced XXXXXL clothing should check it out.
I ended up having to buy another duffle bag to bring all my goodies home.

Hoping to check out the Calgary store this summer.

finish
03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
I ordered the tritronics g3sport right off their website, only took about a week to get it!!!! Probably best way to go I think, dunno what the prices are at BP or Cabelas but boy are our dogs behaving, don't need to NIK them at all, just a beeper every once in a while.

finish
03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
If you're looking for a Tritronics collar check out
www.canadapets.com (http://www.canadapets.com)

$60 cheaper direct from Tritronics

Ben Fougere
03-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Just went to Wholesale sports here in Calgary. I would reccommend this store to everyone. It seemed to have more product in it than Bass Pro Shops. The staff there were very helpful.

I was told that Wholesale Sports does not carry the tri-tronics brand. They carry sport dog, innotek, and DT. The DT brand of e-collar had a lot of positives, yet was more expensive than the tri-tronics. I am going to order my tri-tronics pro 500 online now, but I don't know who has the cheapest shipping rates. The Wholesale employee said that he spent $150 shipping because of sending electronics across the border. Heard that there might be a cabelas in Canada, so I will check out the shipping there.

Back to Wholesale in the morning to check out camo.

Ben Fougere
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
One more thing about e-collars that I learned from the employee at Wholesale sports. Apparently, certain e-collars are rated for different voltage levels according to the size of the dog. I had no idea that this is a measurement used to determine the e-collar someone is looking for.

Does anyone know what the reccommended voltage is for labs and chesapeakes? I haven't seen the e-collars advertise their voltage levels. Should this be a concern? I was also told that it is a good idea to check the voltage levels on your e-collar to make sure that you don't lose voltage. Does anyone practise this?