PDA

View Full Version : Interior rivers

03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I travel into the interior woth my wife flyfishing for a week or two in the summer. The past two we traveled to Fernie and fished the Elk river and Wigwam. Fishing there is spectacular. And prior to that we had wasted a couple trips exploring blind.
This summer i was thinking of going to the Horsefly/ Michael and Cariboo rivers. I know a couple access points to these rivers. I dont have a boat we just walk and wade with the pooch and a few dry's.
Does anybody have any info they would like to share on the Horesfly to Wells idea? or any other river Idea?

Salty
03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I lived in Likely for a short time in the early 80s. We were gold mining and didn't have time to go at the fishing real hard but usually had a rod in the truck with a crocodile on it type of thing. I knew the Quesnel and Cariboo rivers fairly well. There were big bull trout in both and 1-2 pound rainrainbows - bigger I'm sure too.

I've not fished the Horsefly but have heard good things. Its classified water now and I believe fly only and c and r. I read an article some place by an American who was pretty impressed. 18-20" trout on the dry.

That whole country is drop dead gorgeous IMO. And there's an old saying that if you drink out of the Cariboo you will return through the years. Knowing what i know and now in to fly fishing, I think from your list I'd hit the Cariboo. Having said that I think my favorite trout river in BC is across the highway. The Blackwater.

03-29-2010, 12:27 PM
The Horsefly is C&R and classifyed, But that is all good by me. The Elk and Wigwam are too. I've looked at the black water but heard that access is Very restricted. I read a BC Outdoors that said it only had a couple places to access it. Where as going by way of Horsefly you get three rivers and multiple access.
Am I right? i have heard good things about the Black water by boat.

GoatGuy
03-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Mahood..........

coach
03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Canim.. pm me if you want more info..

Salty
03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
The Horsefly is C&R and classifyed, But that is all good by me. The Elk and Wigwam are too. I've looked at the black water but heard that access is Very restricted. I read a BC Outdoors that said it only had a couple places to access it. Where as going by way of Horsefly you get three rivers and multiple access.
Am I right? i have heard good things about the Black water by boat.

Yes access is tough for most of the Blackwater. We used to stash a bicycle in the bush then do about a 12 mile drift in a canoe. The float was most of a day to fish it properly. Half hour bike ride back to get the truck where we put in. If you are interested in this pm me and I'll see if I can remember/find the put in take out spots, we're talking 25 yrs ago. lol. It was a fairly tame float, no real white water, we usually did this late fall and it was nuts. In the summer it'd be a little slower obviously but if you found the right hatch... woo-hoooooo

03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Salty,
That is exactly what i hear, Stellar dry fishing and float access. Once we have been a few places i might be able to run by there. With my wife she is a very good caster (6wt VPS sage and islander) but lacks in the bushwhacking. Hence my original idea. I spent some time moose hunting this year Out at Ghost lake area and did some driving to explore while i was there. And found a few spots on Michael River a Cariboo. And deer hunted in Horse fly. Ease of access is what i need.
Mark my words "I will fish the Blackwater before i die"

Burger64
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Mitchell or Micheal??

03-29-2010, 01:47 PM
The Michael Runs to the cariboo.
The Mitchell is boat access at the end of Quesnel lake. If you look at a map where the Mitchell hits the lake look west a tiny bit you will find the Michael River. This river has a few places to hit it by road.
I would love to do the Mitchell but again no boat.

03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Oh ya Michael runs out of Ghost lake, Find it there rather than my directions

Salty
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
835 it sounds like you and your wife and the pooch really like the rivers. If I was in your shoes (boatless) I might just look in to some of the small inflatable river rafts set up for two to fish. They can be car topped and would be comfy, stable and safe for your family and get you to awefull nice water :wink:

Burger64
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
835 it sounds like you and your wife and the pooch really like the rivers. If I was in your shoes (boatless) I might just look in to some of the small inflatable river rafts set up for two to fish. They can be car topped and would be comfy, stable and safe for your family and get you to awefull nice water :wink:

Yes we are into rivers, I like to walk them. They are fun to fish and constantly changing. I will be getting one of thoes boats soon But I have to pay off the '09 Ram with the matching canopie first. I decided i need to get to the river first then figure out what to do at it seccond :)

I was brought up fishing the Cowichan in its hay day, Well my hay day

Salty
03-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes we are into rivers, I like to walk them. They are fun to fish and constantly changing. I will be getting one of thoes boats soon But I have to pay off the '09 Ram with the matching canopie first. I decided i need to get to the river first then figure out what to do at it seccond :)

I was brought up fishing the Cowichan in its hay day, Well my hay day

Right on. This conversation got me checking out some maps to try to remember the Blackwater. lol , I think I found the old stomping grounds its a long ways up river. And it brought back memories that there's opportunities for fishing by walking, so keep that in mind. Mid and Lower section much less accessable, and canyons that are down right dangerous. No boating down there!

Great thread. Reading this I'm starting to shine up to some of your ideas and others' I've not tried to the east. lol

03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
There is no better place to be than on a bar, beach or bank with a campfire burning and the sound of the river in the back ground. You can see the spots in the river to drop a dry and watch the take when it runs through the slot..... oh ya!
The high mobility thing is the reason for the canopie. We can take t weeks off and hit a number of rivers with little setup. throw up a tarp set up a table and if you need to go somewhere from camp just close the tailgate.

Wood butcher
04-08-2010, 07:08 AM
I know that in the past the Horsefly has been closed if water temp exceeds 20 degs. Something to think about if your heading there in mid summer heat.

hardnocks
04-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I am not a fisherman . but work in a store with 3 very avid flyfisherman. They fish the adams oct. nov. 30 -40 and more rainbows a day .

04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I know that in the past the Horsefly has been closed if water temp exceeds 20 degs. Something to think about if your heading there in mid summer heat.

Really,
That makes sense. But do they really do that? September is when we'd be going so I dont forsee a problem then.

04-08-2010, 07:39 AM
I am not a fisherman . but work in a store with 3 very avid flyfisherman. They fish the adams oct. nov. 30 -40 and more rainbows a day .

This has been the biggest problem in my life. There is only one thing wrong with fishing in Oct and Nov.......... I'm hunting then!

On the coast this is the best time for coho and springs as well, no drive to speak of and big fish. I dont even get to do that. Day off = day hunting. :mrgreen:

I wonder if there is any good huntin around the Adams? Hmmmmm i can hunt the morning and evening and then fish the day

hardnocks
04-08-2010, 07:42 AM
their is some darn good hunting around the adam`s

04-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I think it sounds like it deserves a google!
This is part of why i like September, it is easy to expose my wife to hunting. She loves fishing and she loves September. So i just try to find a place where we can go for a evening drive or a block to sit in. That is close to a river.

Thanks

GoatGuy
04-08-2010, 08:41 AM

The fishing's terrible in the adams and any river that flows into the shuswap for that matter.