PDA

View Full Version : New LEH Draws

Darksith
03-29-2010, 08:50 AM
I see there are a number of new draws well into january for many different species. Anyone know why they did this? Im stoked!

jml11
03-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Which are you refering too? The Omineca and Peace Elk draws into Jan have been around for a while. The antlerless Elk hunts in the Kootenays are new I believe and if any of the recent season changes say anything, it's that the elk are quite abundant and can support these seasons. Some would call them a pest in fact. There is push to have increased harvests in and around agricultural areas to reduce the impacts the elk are having on some ag lands. I don't know if that idea applies to the seasons in Region 4 as it does in 7A and 7B.

The Bison seasons were also extended and there may even be more tags. I am not sure the rationale, perhaps the harvest rates were too low or they are trying to spread out the hunters over a longer season? Someone else may have more inputs.

I believe those are the only two species with new winter hunts.

CanuckShooter
03-29-2010, 09:15 AM
A reason>> They are trying to suck you into buying more LEH cards??? They are trying to give a little more opp to local hunters??? I don't see too many travelling from Vancouver to Dawson Creek in January for a cow elk???

j270wsm
03-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Last year the cow calf elk draws in 4-23 were for youth and seniors only, with 2 different seasons, and the area was farmland and went from Sparwood to Line Creek and there was 107 tags available.

This year the season is only from oct 1-10th, the zone has more than doubled in size, there is only 49 tags, it is open to anyone, and the area is mostly farm land, but it also includes the Bow ONLY area as well.

I dont understand why they would increase the size of the zone, open it to anyone and then cut the tags by almost 60%. There are a couple thousand elk in the elk valley and it wouldnt hurt the population to give out 100 tags for the new zone.

MuleyMadness
03-29-2010, 02:11 PM
The increased number of bison draws, along with the seasons extending into the new year were put in place in an effort to spread out the hunting seasons and pressure from having tons of hunters hitting the same area at the same time hunting the same animals. I think it is really great in all honesty as it creates the opportunity for a combo late season bison/elk hunt!

bridger
03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
A reason>> They are trying to suck you into buying more LEH cards??? They are trying to give a little more opp to local hunters??? I don't see too many travelling from Vancouver to Dawson Creek in January for a cow elk???

you are wrong about guys not trying coming to the peace to hunt elk in jan or feb. lots of them do.

coach
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree with Bridger. I've had that draw twice and it was well worth the trip. I look forward to getting that draw again some day.