PDA

View Full Version : WhiteTail Deer on Burke Mountain??

morrisonm123
03-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I was driving down Coast Meridian tonight at 730 this evening and 3 deer with big bushy white tails went bouncing across about 50 yrds in front of me. I wasn't aware that they were down here in the lower mainland? Has anyone else seen any?

kennyj
03-29-2010, 05:29 AM
The underside of a BT's tail is white also.Maybe they were BT's?
kenny

campking
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I live in Port Moody and have seen whitetails on David Avenue, and yes
they were without a doubt whitetails !

huntinnewbie
03-29-2010, 07:59 AM
If they "bounced" across the road then they were blacktail. My understanding is that whitetail run or gallop as a horse does and only mule and blacktail bounce or pronc where all 4 feet hit the ground at the same time giving the impression they are bouncing. There is also no mistaking the tail of a whitetail as it flags. Their tails are huge in comparison to a blacktail.
Someone correct me if I am wrong re: the proncing.

MichelD
03-29-2010, 08:11 AM
It's also called stotting as well as pronging or pronking. I call it "boinging."

digger dogger
03-29-2010, 08:20 AM
I live in Port Moody and have seen whitetails on David Avenue, and yes
they were without a doubt whitetails !

i'd like a to see a pic! gotta trail cam with a good lock?
from what i understand the w/t's have made it to herrling island in hope.
not a gos on them, but there should be. imo
i've had a few blk/tls flag in the wack.

BigfishCanada
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow, well I do not doubt whitetails in the area, I live up eagle and see deer weekly. Never have I seen a whitie..

c.r.hunter
03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
There are "without a doubt" no whitetails in Port Moody. Blacktails are bright white under thier tails and sometimes flag them when nervous.

cruiser
03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Re: the whitetails on Herrling. Anyone on here actually seen one? I know they have been written about in the regs for years but wouldn't they have spread, since Herrling isn't seperated from the mainland at winter low flows. I've only ever seen blacktails on the gravel bars over the years.

huntinnewbie
03-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Heard from a CO that no one has actually seen them for years.

SHACK
03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Hands down you saw a blacktail "flagging" many, many, people seem to not realise that blacktails have this similar trait to whitetails, and therefore mistake them to be whitetails.
As far as whitetails in Port Moody, plain and simple misidentification....blacktails....and hook me up with whatever your smoking ;)
Never seen a whitetail on Herrling either, maybe at one time, although I still doubt it, but I spend more than my share of time on the river and see nothing but BT's
I had a friend go into a 2 hour long argument about the huge Mulie he saw near the peace arch border............ his ID was made purely by antler size! He stated over and over that no blacktail could ever have a rack that big!

sfire436
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
My old man who knows his deer lives in Belcarra (Port Moody/White pines Beach) and swears he saw WT there. Tail flaged and not flagged. Its possible

wolverine
03-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Sorry, I gotta agree with most of the guys here. I doubt highly it was a whitetail. Not with the stotting. Besides.... this isn't whitetail country. If anything it's all Blacktails.

MichelD
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I've seen blacktails on Coast Meridian and on the road to the shooting range too.

bad arrow
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Without knowing the area, but knowing Whitetails and their habits, what could be stopping them from entering into the lower-mainland region? Its just a matter of time before Whitetails show up there, and thrive.

italhunter
03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Without knowing the area, but knowing Whitetails and their habits, what could be stopping them from entering into the lower-mainland region? Its just a matter of time before Whitetails show up there, and thrive.

My cousin lives in Fraser Heights, in North Surrey, and he text me a picture of a couple deer on his neighbors lawn early one morning.

I had a doe cross right in front of my car while driving down 200th street in langley, at 2pm in the afternoon. I have also seen them eating grass on the side of the highway. just east of the 176th street hwy 1 exit.

digger dogger
03-29-2010, 09:30 PM
My cousin lives in Fraser Heights, in North Surrey, and he text me a picture of a couple deer on his neighbors lawn early one morning.

I had a doe cross right in front of my car while driving down 200th street in langley, at 2pm in the afternoon. I have also seen them eating grass on the side of the highway. just east of the 176th street hwy 1 exit.

blk tails right? gotta be blk tails, cause if you are thinking they're white tails, the mlawp office is 20 blocks from 176th. they would know for sure, if road killed whities started showing up.

xtremearchery
03-31-2010, 12:35 PM
seen whitetails in abbotsford a couple times. once last season. There is a healthy heard in hope as well.

Ddog
03-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Definitely blacktails that you saw...i have hunted BT for as long as i can remember and seen them on numerous occasions run with the tail straight up in the air with only a bushy white tail visible. Easily mistakable if you only seen them running away.

1/2 slam
03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Some day whitetails will likely be here but not today. I have no doubt that some people who have claimed to see them here have in fact seen blacktails. I spoke to Jack Evans a few years ago and he told me that none of the ministry staff, that he knew of, had seen the supposed Herling island whitetails.

1/2 slam
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
seen whitetails in abbotsford a couple times. once last season. There is a healthy heard in hope as well.

Lets see a picture. The way whitetail expand we would all be seing them.

1/2 slam
03-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Hands down you saw a blacktail "flagging" many, many, people seem to not realise that blacktails have this similar trait to whitetails, and therefore mistake them to be whitetails.
As far as whitetails in Port Moody, plain and simple misidentification....blacktails....and hook me up with whatever your smoking ;)
Never seen a whitetail on Herrling either, maybe at one time, although I still doubt it, but I spend more than my share of time on the river and see nothing but BT's
I had a friend go into a 2 hour long argument about the huge Mulie he saw near the peace arch border............ his ID was made purely by antler size! He stated over and over that no blacktail could ever have a rack that big!

What Shack said. All of the deer I've ever seen on the river are blacktails as well and I spend a lot of time on and around Herling.

redthorn
03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I was talking with an oldtimer who grew up beside the Military base in Aldergrove. As a boy they used to sneak into the base and hunt, and he claims that there were a lot of whitetails and hybrids back in there.(in the 60's and 70's)

He said that the Aldergrove Game Farm(now the Greater Vancouver Zoo) had an escape of about 30 whitetails in the 60's, and that there was an open season on them as the CO's didn't want them to establish in the area.

I do a lot of farmwork out in Aldergrove and see a lot of deer, and I am almost certain that some of them are still showing whitetailed traits. Twice I have seen deer with a typical Blacktailed rack and a fully white tail. I've also seen a few racks that were more mainbeamed than forked, and have always wondered what exactly is running in that blood line.

If there is still whitetail in the bloodline, the Aldergrove deer hered is right messed up, between that and the number of piebald deer it has....

curt
04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Blacktails Im thinking if they were whities you would know it, 1st whities dont bounce across anywhere they run and dont look back. I lived in Langley south Langley actually for years and there is a shi* Load of deer in Langley some record size BT too, that could almost be mistaken for WT but never have I seen a WT closer than Boston Bar. I worked with a guy that had a MuleD Doe LEH were going back probably 10yrs in Boston Bar down by the river he shot a WT doe by mistake not knowing they were even in the area. But I would bet money in the fraser valley there isnt any WT....yet!!

digger dogger
04-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I was talking with an oldtimer who grew up beside the Military base in Aldergrove. As a boy they used to sneak into the base and hunt, and he claims that there were a lot of whitetails and hybrids back in there.(in the 60's and 70's)

He said that the Aldergrove Game Farm(now the Greater Vancouver Zoo) had an escape of about 30 whitetails in the 60's, and that there was an open season on them as the CO's didn't want them to establish in the area.

I do a lot of farmwork out in Aldergrove and see a lot of deer, and I am almost certain that some of them are still showing whitetailed traits. Twice I have seen deer with a typical Blacktailed rack and a fully white tail. I've also seen a few racks that were more mainbeamed than forked, and have always wondered what exactly is running in that blood line.

If there is still whitetail in the bloodline, the Aldergrove deer hered is right messed up, between that and the number of piebald deer it has....

all white tail? mulie, blk tip maybe? a kid in the wack shot a blk\tl x mulie last year. blk\tl head, mulie size and ass, white tail with a blk tip. (i've heard a mulie is the offspring of a whitie and blk\tl. i would need a pic to believe.

Jetboater
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I think all you whitetail spotters in the valley need to go redo your Core and spend some time in the bush......actually hunting the valley for blacktails....

wolverine
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I think all you whitetail spotters in the valley need to go redo your Core and spend some time in the bush......actually hunting the valley for blacktails....

Ha ha... I was waiting for someone to say that! There are no whitetails here for the very same reason there are no zebra here... not the right part of the world folks! Maybe one day when they over populate the areas the mulies and blk tails are in but not now. Because you see a white underside of a blacktail does not make it a whitetail. What surprises me is that how many people have mis-identified this species. Things that make you say ... Hmmm

xtremearchery
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
No sh%t t-dog... Meyers and i ran into a few in hope area! couldn't believe our eyes. And i know for a fact that a w/t buck was taken off sumas 3 years ago. you would know him but i dont wanna mention names. belongs to ridgedale club.

1/2 slam
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM

X 2 ......

redthorn
04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
all white tail? mulie, blk tip maybe? a kid in the wack shot a blk\tl x mulie last year. blk\tl head, mulie size and ass, white tail with a blk tip. (i've heard a mulie is the offspring of a whitie and blk\tl. i would need a pic to believe.

He said that the escaped animals were all Whitetails. Like I said, he was the one who was there, as I wasn't around til the 80's...

And to clarify, I have never seen a deer in the valley that I'd swear was a Whitetail, just a few interesting characteristic in the Aldergrove herd that would suggest some truth to the story of an escape from the Game Farm.

digger dogger
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
i could beleive that, but i'd like to see a pic.
somebody has to have one!

SHACK
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I was biting my tounge, but jetboater said it well...core refresher, heavy on the animal ID. Until I see photo/video proof, I call BS. Also considering the blacktail buff I am, and the amount of time I have spent in the field hunting them localy, this is just a completely waisted argument. I will eat crow If and I meen a very big "IF" I should ever encounter one of these LM whitetails, I will personaly apologise by dressing up in a deer costume and running through downtown vancouver yelling "The sky is falling, The sky is falling!!!"

1/2 slam
04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
He said that the escaped animals were all Whitetails. Like I said, he was the one who was there, as I wasn't around til the 80's...

And to clarify, I have never seen a deer in the valley that I'd swear was a Whitetail, just a few interesting characteristic in the Aldergrove herd that would suggest some truth to the story of an escape from the Game Farm.

I have hunted areas where you get whitetail looking racks and there is no way there were ever WT's there....Van Island. People think because the rack looks like a typical WT rack there must be whitetail crossing with them....BULL S#$t. I'm with SHACK on this. I call BS and I'll eat crow as well if anyone here can prove to me that there are WT here in the valley.

gutpile
04-02-2010, 01:20 AM
I heared there was a big moose on herrling island that the indians shot a few years ago,I don't know how true that is ?

tank_79
04-02-2010, 05:33 AM
i was told the same thing about moose between hope and the wack by an avid native hunter. however without proof...