PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating...

rollingrock
03-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Lately I've had some problems with my recurve shooting. The arrows keep falling off the rest when I draw. That rarely happened before. Don't know why. I've tried different finger techniques, but so far none works well. This problem really affects my drawing. Any tips?

Clint_S
03-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Take a closed grip at the start of your draw and relax it as you draw. This will hopefully keep the arrow on the shelf.

RJ
03-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Twisting the bowstring on the draw?

willyqbc
03-28-2010, 05:55 PM
I am far from a recurve expert, but what we teach the kids in our junior program who often have this problem is to set their fingers on the string much deeper than the final hook-up spot will be. Then before you draw you roll the string along your fingers until you get to where you normally have your fingers set for draw. This should twist the string in toward the riser and as long as your nocks arent really loose the twisting of the string inwards toward the riser should push the arrow snug into the rest.

Hope this helps
Chris

rollingrock
03-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Twisting the bowstring on the draw?

I think that's the problem. I try my best to draw straight back, but sometimes that doesn't work either.

rollingrock
03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I am far from a recurve expert, but what we teach the kids in our junior program who often have this problem is to set their fingers on the string much deeper than the final hook-up spot will be. Then before you draw you roll the string along your fingers until you get to where you normally have your fingers set for draw. This should twist the string in toward the riser and as long as your nocks arent really loose the twisting of the string inwards toward the riser should push the arrow snug into the rest.

Hope this helps
Chris

:) I think that's a good idea! I usually set my fingers on the first nuckle. But what bugs me is I didn't have much of that problem before with my long bow.

M@B
03-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Did you recently put a new string on your bow?

rollingrock
03-28-2010, 08:46 PM
This is a brand new bow. So far I've shot it for maybe 150 times.

Tuffcity
03-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Watch your elbow on the draw arm. You might be sticking it out to the right too much and keeping a stiff wrist in the process- only pulling back with the draw arm instead of doing a "push/pull with both arms. Try to consciously roll the string with your fingers to the right ( just a bit!)

RC

greybark
03-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Tuffcity has the right idea on this one . As he describes the fingers can actualy form a "Z" in the string . Keep the elbow in a bit more to line up with the string . The more one cants the bow during the draw the more you have to keep your draw elbow in to keep the string in line ...
:wink: Another trick when placing your fingers (first crease) on the string hold your bow straight out and your string hand turned at 90 degrees , maintain pressure as the draw starts and rotates the string towards the riser .
:wink: RRock the longer string on your longbow is less affected and is why it`s arrow stays put .
:-D When you have it right you will notice a slight bend in the arrow (at full draw) pressing against the riser . When confronted with a giant buck that slight pressure will also keep your arrow from turning into a vibrating drum stick LOL.
Cheers

rollingrock
03-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Tuffcity has the right idea on this one . As he describes the fingers can actualy form a "Z" in the string . Keep the elbow in a bit more to line up with the string . The more one cants the bow during the draw the more you have to keep your draw elbow in to keep the string in line ...
:wink: Another trick when placing your fingers (first crease) on the string hold your bow straight out and your string hand turned at 90 degrees , maintain pressure as the draw starts and rotates the string towards the riser .
:wink: RRock the longer string on your longbow is less affected and is why it`s arrow stays put .
:-D When you have it right you will notice a slight bend in the arrow (at full draw) pressing against the riser . When confronted with a giant buck that slight pressure will also keep your arrow from turning into a vibrating drum stick LOL.
Cheers

:mrgreen: Good stuff! Thanks guys!

Bow Walker
03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Clint S, willyqbc, tuffcity, greybark....they all are saying the same basic thing. Great insight and I, for one, am learning a lot as I go.

Thanks guys.