PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my new GSP

Matty_ola
03-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I've got a GSP puppy on his way in about four weeks time and I'd like to get everything I need sorted before he gets here. I've read countless bird dog training books and watched many videos but I'm still uncertain. The majority of the bird training I've seen uses real birds such as pigions and quail. I don not have access to real birds until hunting season. His primary use will be upland game birds and the odd goose hunt. Does anyone know of some good literature I can obtain or any really good training videos that can help?

Thank you very much. Needless to say this is my first hunting dog ever so I'm pretty nervous and I want to make sure I don't make many mistakes in the proccess that could hinder my dogs potential.

Angel
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Congrats on the pup! where did you get him from if you dont mind me asking.

LOC
03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
GSP's (and DK's) are great mutts! A bit of work though :)

NAVHDA has some good books/DVD's on training if you haven't already seen them.

Depending on where you are, if you really want live birds there is an auction every Sat. in Langley that usually has pigeons and other live birds that can be cheap. Save your grouse wings for training too.

Matty_ola
03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Getting the pup from LegacyK in ontario. I'm in kamloops so Going to langley for live birds is probably not feasible. I'm looking for a way to train him not to run after the birds after they fly away but until august I'm not allowed to use wild game for training purposes. What are some tips and tricks anyone has to training with bird dummies? I also have no where to keep wild birds either :(

dutchie
03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Start off with a bird wing on a string. This will tire the pup out and it will get his instincts going.

As soon as the pup starts to chase the wing, the wing goes away because you are training it bad habits.

don't think that your dog will be super solid on point until about 2 years old because you are a rookie trainer and it takes a lot of work to get this slammed down.

I am a rookie trainer as well and it has teken me alot of work to get my dog to where he is, but he will still break on point because I am not a good enought trainer. It does not matter on how many books you read, it is about experience. Try to train with some NAVHDA guys in your area... they will help you out.

Also when you are getting him on wild birds, make sure if he breaks do not shoot the bird because the dogs reward is the retrieval (unless you do not care that much).

It is tough holding the trigger finger, and I usually do not hold off because I want to have fun and really, that is what it is all about for us.

Dutchie

Matty_ola
03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks dutchie that's great. I'll do my best to teach him with the wing trick as I still have a few in the freezer from last season:)

CullenSkink
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Try to find your local pointing dog club, there should be one nearby for you. They're a great resource and they'll know where to get pigeons and chukars you can train with. Here is a list of BC fiels trials if you can get to one of these and o a little networking it will advance you a great deal. http://www.vancouverislandpointingdogclub.com/field_trials_and_tests