PDA

View Full Version : Looking for mentor/hunting buddies

domyalex
03-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Hello folks,

a friend of mine and I are looking to get into the sport. We have the hunting license, rifles (30-06 and 308 ) are sighted in and we are in the process of gathering the last pieces of equipment/clothing.

We are however pretty noobs and would love if somebody could start us on the right track. Planning on hunting black bears, since that is opening soon, and mule/black tail this coming fall.

No, we don't want to know your golden/favorite spot; we'd love instead to learn such things as
- field advices
- animal tracking and recovery
- animal field dressing / quartering / butchering
- equipment selection
- bits of wisdom that will keep us out of trouble

We are both in our 30's, family men, consider ourselves ethical and place safety first. We both shoot at POCO.

We'll gladly share any expenses :)

Thanks!

Moose Guide
04-29-2010, 04:23 PM
if you travell to the west kootenays, look me up, I can't believe no one else has answered you! ask any questions you like and I will try to help!

HighCountry
04-29-2010, 04:27 PM
where do you live? if you live in lowermainland pm me I can show you couple spot to go.

sparkes3
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
i try to take out a few new guys each year this weekend is booked so keep in touch for a hunt in a couple of weeks

domyalex
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks everybody :)

Moose Guide, in which area are you in?

HighCountry/sparkes3: PM sent

proguide66
04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
We are both in our 30's, family men, consider ourselves ethical and place safety first. We both shoot at POCO

damn , hoping you were gonna say ' we're female and hot'....yer shit outta luck now..:mrgreen:

pmj
04-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Marked for interest. I try to have a list of people to call when I am looking for someone to hunt with.

moosetaken
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
You're a long way from PG but if you're in the area drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
A bit of help for you.
where ever you go and what ever you hunt.
After you shoot unless you watch it go down let it be for 30min-1hr to die befor looking for it. use this time to weld into your mind the exact place the animal was standing. Get your partner to stand at the shooting site while you find where it was standing. Throw some flagging tape in your pack and mark well where you were standing when you shot and then mark well where the animal was standing.

When tracking tie off flag tape on every blood spot in a tree, you can gain an idea of direction of travel this way. If you cant find blood do a slow circle progressivly getting larger around the animal. Being shot in the lungs an animal can go 100 yds or more.

Always check to see if you hit the animal even if you think you missed. Sometimes you cannot tell if you hit them or not.

Have fun go for a walk in the bush be quiet and sneeky with the wind in your face and dont get lost!

Good luck

hillclimber
04-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Take a look at this thread for some info. I remember there was one not too long ago about tracking mule deer and there was some very very good info. Thought I saved the link but i guess not

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47004&page=2

Moose Guide
04-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks everybody :)

Moose Guide, in which area are you in?

HighCountry/sparkes3: PM sent

4-30 north of Kaslo, tough country but it's home:-D

scott
05-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I am in the same boat. would love to get out for black bear this june. I'm in the lower mainland and have weekends off.

I need to learn how to skin / gut, deal with the meat and hide etc and where to take it.

I've been out looking a couple times the past few years but never got anything.

.330 Dakota
05-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I live in the Lac La Hache area north of 100 mile if your here look me up

sparkes3
05-29-2010, 08:10 PM
scott/domyalex what do you have for a vehicle,we are going out for bear again in two weeks.its a family trip so i wont have room to take anyone,but if you have a 4x4 vehicle your welcome to tag along.
as i said we will have my two young sons so its a night in a hotel we will leave about 5:00am saturday morning and get home about 6:oopm sunday.

huntwriter
05-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Hello folks,

a friend of mine and I are looking to get into the sport. We have the hunting license, rifles (30-06 and 308 ) are sighted in and we are in the process of gathering the last pieces of equipment/clothing.

We are however pretty noobs and would love if somebody could start us on the right track. Planning on hunting black bears, since that is opening soon, and mule/black tail this coming fall.

No, we don't want to know your golden/favorite spot; we'd love instead to learn such things as
- field advices
- animal tracking and recovery
- animal field dressing / quartering / butchering
- equipment selection
- bits of wisdom that will keep us out of trouble

We are both in our 30's, family men, consider ourselves ethical and place safety first. We both shoot at POCO.

We'll gladly share any expenses :)

Thanks!

If you're heading to the Merritt-Kamloops area give me a holler. You can find my contact info on my website or here on the forum.