PDA

View Full Version : hunting in snow

ghost
03-25-2010, 08:04 PM
I know it is late to ask this,but last year while out in the snow.Not snowing but one day old.I was hiking through the timber and had a difficult time moving quietly. Is there any tips or styles that should be used. Or should I just find a good vantage point and glass. Any info would be cool.

hunter1947
03-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Find a vantage point and wait and glass..

bowhunterbruce
03-26-2010, 05:57 AM
personally i love being out there right after a fresh snowfall.animals tend to be bedded down during times when the storms hit and depending on how long it was ugly out, they will be up for food shortly after it stops.
still hunting is a great challenge ( take a few slow steps ,stop ,look,look again,and listen)
if you need to be moving in the snow you have to walk like an animal does.period.sitting at a good advantage point is just as good and can also be very successful

frenchbar
03-26-2010, 05:57 AM
if its powdery snow ..go slow.stop look and listen every few steps..if its crusty crunchy snow ..sit and wait for them to come to you ..

LYKTOHUNT
03-26-2010, 07:52 AM
personally i love being out there right after a fresh snowfall.animals tend to be bedded down during times when the storms hit and depending on how long it was ugly out, they will be up for food shortly after it stops.
still hunting is a great challenge ( take a few slow steps ,stop ,look,look again,and listen)
if you need to be moving in the snow you have to walk like an animal does.period.sitting at a good advantage point is just as good and can also be very successful
X2 here I have spent a lot of time sneaking around in the timber in noisey snow conditions, go slow try to imagine sounding like an animal foraging for food.
Sometimes they will actually seek whatever is making that noise out.
Go slow stop often

KB90
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
go slow try to imagine sounding like an animal foraging for food.
Sometimes they will actually seek whatever is making that noise out.
Go slow stop often

x2

This year I shot my deer with the shittiest snow conditions, spotty and very crunchy. I got to the area where I wanted to hunt which was not suitable for sitting and glassing so I had no choice but to walk.

I would take 2 steps then stop for 20-30 seconds then take 3 more steps then stop for 20-30seconds and so on.

It was painfully slow and you hardly cover any ground but if you know there are animals in the area it may be worth it. On that day as I was creeping my way through the bush a buck came running and grunting towards me, we had not seen each other, but he must of heard how I was walking and believed me to be another animal and was coming to check me out. He popped over the hill 20 yards and he was mine.

ghost
03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the advice.