PDA

View Full Version : How small is too small

GN HNTN
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Last December I still had tag to cancel and decided to take a trip to Squamish Valley.
Having passed on numerous spikes in November around the Pemberton area especially the McKenzie Basin, I was hoping that I would get a nice two or three pointer.
The first day I drove up to mile 58 or 59 and along the way stopped and took short hikes and glassed the area. I did not see any deer, but I was lucky enough to see a couple of nice elks. That by itself was worth the trip.
After I freed my 4RUNNER from frozen snow, I headed down and went to one of the branches around mile 30. I headed up the road and parked my vehicle and walked up about 2k but didn’t see anything.
I was getting tired and decided to call it a day. While driving down I saw a deer. At first I could not see antlers because of the sunshine, so I continued on and about 30 yards I saw that it was a buck feeding on the road. Got out off the truck and Noticed that he was a spike and each one of his spikes were about six inches long, and the more I looked I realized that how tiny he was. He probably didn’t weigh more than 60 lbs.
He didn’t mind my presence, so I continued on watching him (BAD IDEA). About five minutes later he started moving but could not decide whether to go up or down, because the left side was rock face and right side were big boulders and finally passed from the passenger side of my truck.
I would have not shot that deer even if it were a two pointer. I know that the regulation says you only need to see one antler at least one inch long, I have seen people meeting that criteria and shoot, but wouldn’t it be a waste of life?

bighornbob
03-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Like anything in life some things are just runts and they will be that their whole lives. I saw a interior mule deer once that was a 2 point and its rack was normal for a two point, but it was the smallest deer I have seen . Looked like a real big dog. Even the guy that shot it was surprised by how small it was.

My dad who has always been a meat hunter (the King of spikes and 2 points) has passed on a few bucks that he said looked real small in body size.

Its all up to hunter. That deer would have been a trophy for a kids first deer.

BHB

Gateholio
03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Bog deer, small deer...Depends on the hunter.

dutchie
03-25-2010, 02:03 PM
One part of me would want to shoot it just to remove the genes from the gene pool and make sure it would not pass on its genetic short straw...

The other part of me would want to pass because it is a little dink.

it would depend on the time of the season, and if I had any yummy sausage in the freezer yet.

Dutchie

Barracuda
03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Some deer just have small antlers.

No differnt then shooting a doe for meat .

A day one dink can be a last day trophy .

Its all a matter of how you look at it.

lilhoss
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
This buck on the lower part of the photo was only showing me a "spike" as well.Heavy rain,thick brush,so I took him as I needed the meat.Turned out to be a 2-spike and in great shape.His bigger buddy walked out to have a look-see as well.bang-flop.Some deer just don't genetically develop large bodies,so it's your call in the end.A spike in the freezer is better than tag soup.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/vernon_lake_2008_005.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11837&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=5919)

03-25-2010, 02:20 PM
"Whack it and stack it"
"one in hand better that 2 in the bush"

Just kidding. spikes are a deer to be judged by your situation.
Ie if you have had no luck all year and you have no meat in the freezer dont feel bad to shoot it. But if you have meat in the larder maby let it go.
i have shot my fare share of spikes and will again, but now i do it as a last ditch effort. Bottom line is if it is a legal buck it is a legal buck the coice to eat it or watch it is yours.

But id shoot it

Fisher-Dude
03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
"A spike in the freezer is better than tag soup."

Words to live by. I usually put the first October mule deer buck I see in the freezer, just because they are so good eatin'.

BimmerBob
03-25-2010, 03:48 PM
"A spike in the freezer is better than tag soup."

Words to live by. I usually put the first October mule deer buck I see in the freezer, just because they are so good eatin'.

Yes, meat is meat and it only tastes good if you can get it in the pan...

On another thought in answer to the OP's question:

Only something your wife would be able to comment on I think :mrgreen::-D

Surrey Boy
03-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Why has nobody brought up the perspective of smaller bucks being easier to haul back to the truck? Your back might thank you when it's a little guy.

SURGE
03-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree with not taking such a small deer it sounds like 1-2 year old and if left another season can really put on a lot of weight which equalls alot more table fare .just not worth shooting in my opinion

Kirby
03-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Boom. If it takes the slack out of a freezer go for it. I've shot several deer which were just tiny by the body. I've also gone with an empty freezer. I'd rather shoot a "dink" and have meat. However if I was just out for the hunt and have meat in the freezer I'd let it walk.

Ain't a waste if its getting eaten.

Kirby

Jelvis
03-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I would be leary of shooting a stunted animal also. Only shoot an animal that is healthy looking, good shape, a little fat but not any thing skinny.
Might have worms and it's lungs have blisters and it's liver..they get it from canines..
eat grass with the canines worms on it and bam .. " Sicker than a Dog." lol..
You did the right thing by leaving it, some coyotes or cougar will take him down in deep snow
Jel ... jelvisphdbabsbcsinblacktailbodylanguage4nutiritona lreasons.calmdownlol

hunter1947
03-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Its a hunters decision on if they want to take any animal that is open in a GOS if they pass on an animal or not..

Ddog
03-26-2010, 06:47 AM
i am a body hunter, if its an open season on the animal in question and i have an opportunity i judge the animal by the body size, i have passed on numerous bucks that just dont seem to have enough meat on the body to take the time to put down. That being said , i have also taken spike bucks that have been monsters! biggest blacktail spiker i took dressed at 90lbs, abnormally large for a spike.
Ultimately it is the shooters choice to take the animal if its legal. Personally, i would pass the little ones even if they were legal. I would take the tag soup.