PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermy-first atempts...please critque!

willyqbc
03-25-2010, 12:49 PM
So I am taking at stab at learning taxidermy, and would like some input on my first few atempts, especially from those taxidermists who frequent HBC. Please don't hold back, while positive comments are nice I won't learn anything without the negative comments as well!!

First one is a deer that is completed with just final grooming to be donehttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PIC_0326.JPG

This one has about a week to go before final grooming etc will be done, also waiting on a custom barnwood cabinet base for it
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PIC_0320.JPG

This guy was mounted up about a week ago so still has lots of work left
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PIC_0330.JPG

Going to begin work soon on a nice 150 class whitetail so helpful hints and critiques are much appreciated!!

Thanks
Chris

3kills
03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
ithink ur doin a pretty good job chris.

brock77
03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
nice work! are you doing this self taught? i wish i had the time, looks like great job/hobby

there something in the nose on that last one......... JK:-D....... nice work

swamper
03-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Awesome muley Chris. Looking forward to seeing him on the wall.
Swamper

bruin
03-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Looks like a great start Willy. I always thought that would be a great winter hobby or bit of extra income. I'd like to do some myself but just haven't got to it yet. Maybe when I get myself a shop!
I'll be the first to offer some constructive comments.
1. On the first buck I would say there is too much material between the neck and jaw, no distinction between the two. Also, the jaw is narrow under the eyes and ver wide at the bottom. Also, the forehead has no definition/ridge over the eyes or where the horns leave the head.
The coyote and the pheasant look great, I think you did a really good job on the yotes face.

Keep up the good work! Where are you doing your learning from?

03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd be happy with any of thoes
but like bruin said the upper neck of the first buck looks off.
an on the last one i have never seen a deer with a black necklace.

in all seriousness though it looks good from your pictures

Angel
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
you should probably post a few more pics with closer shots of certain details. but as far as I can tell its looking real nice.

KB90
03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Looking good, I will agree with the first buck the neck looks a little off, but I must say I am impressed if this is your first attempt. Good Job. The coyote looks great!

Keep it up and I will be coming to you instead of having to drive to PG!

Are you going to be doing skulls as well?

bighornbob
03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
1. On the first buck I would say there is too much material between the neck and jaw, no distinction between the two.

I would have to agree.

Wild Images
03-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Collect as much reference as you can on the animal you are mounting
On the bottom buck the hair patterns on his face need to be adjusted if it is still wet, ear butts on a mulie are very close to the antler.
Your on the right track, take your time and look at the small things, they make the mount pop
Any questions you can pm me and I will try to help you out

swamper
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I have seen this mount and I think the picture angle has a lot to do with the suggestions. Perhaps Chris you could post a couple of different angles.

willyqbc
03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys! I do see what you are saying on the top one, the form was for a swollen neck but I could definately see where maybe shaping down the form to give it a bit more definition between the head and neck would be a nice touch...kind of define the back of the jaw a little more. Or maybe just go with a less swollen neck in the form selection!. I tried to get more detailed pictures but can't figure out how to take a close-up pic that isn't blurry:confused:

WildImages...question for ya, I knew the hair pattern on the bottom deer forehead was a little off but it was not the cape from those antlers and when I got the cape sewed around the antler bases, that is kind of what I was stuck with on the forehead, the cape and horns didn't really fit perfectly and left me with the forehead on a bit of an angle....anything I could have done to deal with that situation? Thanks for the offer of help, I appreciate it!

Thanks again guys
Chris

bsa30-06
03-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow considering you are learning to do this on your own i think those look very good.Im sure taxidermy is one of those skills,that is a steep learning curve especially when trying to do it on your own.

dutchie
03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Looks good!

I don't know what it is but the first buck looks like it's eyes are a little too big and he kind of looks like he is "shy" or "scared"

BUT... I know nothing about Taxidermy!

they look awesome!

Dutchie

Wild Images
03-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Once everything is sewn up you can move the skin around and adjust the patterns and get everything lined up. You will be amazed how much stuff will move.
I will see if I can find a video that I picked up years ago on mounting mule deer, has some good tips, you can have it.

willyqbc
03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Kylebartels - I have a couple custom made bases for skulls on the way and one bear skull of my own I am going to do when they get here, will post up when they are done!!

BSA...not self taught, I took a couple weeks of training in Calgary, it gave me the basics of the process, now just trying to learn the nuances to give the detail that will really make a mount come alive!

WildImages, thanks a bunch, very generous of you! Where do you find your reference pics? I have been trying to search the net for good close-up pictures of various critters....not as easy to find what I am looking for as i would have thought. Have you ever purchased any of those taxidermy reference photo cd's.....did you like them?

Thanks again guys
Chris

cavebear
03-25-2010, 09:11 PM
1. On the first buck I would say there is too much material between the neck and jaw, no distinction between the two. Also, the jaw is narrow under the eyes and ver wide at the bottom. Also, the forehead has no definition/ridge over the eyes or where the horns leave the head.
The coyote and the pheasant look great, I think you did a really good job on the yotes face.

Keep up the good work! Where are you doing your learning from?[/quote]

x2:-D:-D

hunter1947
03-26-2010, 05:49 AM
This mule head mount you did is as good as you can get to me it looks fantastic ,no bull congrats to you on doing such a great job http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Wild Images
03-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Reference is where ever you can find it. The cds are great, there are also photo books through the taxi companys. I have files full of pics from magazines and calenders, just keep your eyes out for any picture that you thing may help you and start saving it in seperate files.
Are you using a tannery ?

willyqbc
03-26-2010, 07:41 AM
These hides i brought back with me from Calgary, in future I will be using the tannery in Williams lake, have heard good things about his work and it is close by!

Chris

Wild Images
03-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Chris, get on taxidermy.net and start reading and watching the forums
tons of great info

wolverine
03-26-2010, 08:08 AM
If that is your first attempt you are off to a promising career as a taxidermist. Hell, if that was my first attempt it would have a few grooves in it and be an ashtray! (learned in high school shop class that if you groove anything and it can be an ashtray)

willyqbc
03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Chris, get on taxidermy.net and start reading and watching the forums
tons of great info

Yep, spending a ton of time on there reading and reading and reading.....lots of talented folks there for sure and some great info!!

Chris

farside
03-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Looks good to me but both Maddi and I think the top buck looks "worried". Funny - as he probably was right before he was smacked.

We both think you may have found what you were meant to do.

Keep at it Chris cause then I can dump my 1st good deer on your doorstep. I can keep dreaming can't I