PDA

View Full Version : West Kootenay - Hiking Boots needed...

jkold
03-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi all! New to the West Kootenays and am in need of some quality hiking boots. Anyone know of a qualified boot fitter in the area? My feet are long and narrow and don't usually fit what's on the shelves. So far all I've found are college kids working the desks that don't have the experience I'm looking for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jason

KodiakHntr
03-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Go to Devito's in Nelson.

quincy
03-24-2010, 11:26 AM
yup vince devitos is your best bet

Devilbear
03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Yup, the DeVito family have been friends of ours for about 80 years and Vince has an outstanding reputation in the serious mountain boot industry. If, you cannot find what you need there and come to Vancouver, I can and will help you, if you like and I retired as a boot fitter in June, 2001.

You have the MOST difficult foot profile to fit and may require professional orthotics to make boots work for you. Another approach is to buy custom boots, but, any decent ones cost HUGE coin and you might be able to make certain Lowa or Scarpas with their S1 last work.

jkold
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
It's unanimous... Thanks guys. I'll be making a visit to Devito's tomorrow.

scope-bite
03-31-2010, 10:30 AM
This might be a little late but I bought a pair of Meindl's back in 2002 and have been buying them since. They run $400 but well worth it. I can wear them all day hiking and still be comfortable at the end of the day. I have the same foot type as you that makes it tough to find a good fitting hiking boot. You can order them at www.ajbrooks.com and they get you to send in a paper tracing of your foot so the soles are custom fit.

I have been scared to go to Devito's since one of the girls there layed into me for not maintaining my boots properly! They take boot maintenance seriously to say the least!

kootenayelkslayer
03-31-2010, 10:42 AM
I have been scared to go to Devito's since one of the girls there layed into me for not maintaining my boots properly! They take boot maintenance seriously to say the least!

Haha. Vince gave me sh*t once too for not maintaining an old pair of Irish Setters I brought into him many years ago. But what was the point in trying to maintain a boot that literally fell apart at the seams?? Haven't been into Devito's much since then. And definitely haven't bought those cheap boots again.