PDA

View Full Version : E-Collars and Water

Ben Fougere
03-24-2010, 01:14 AM
I have a few thoughts and questions about e-collars.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not water on an e-collar will amplify a shock to a dog? Also, I've been thinking whether or not an e-collar can be used while a dog is IN THE WATER. I simply don't know if this situation would amplify the "shock" to the dog or if the e-collar would work properly. Has there ever been any discussion on mixing an e-collar with water? I ask this as a newbie to the e-collar and training a dog and want to reduce as many mistakes as possible along the way.

I have a problem with my dog wanting to dig up rocks and "the bottom of lakes and rivers" every time I take him out. He has developed a keen interest in digging in the water. Thankfully he hasn't picked anything up in his mouth yet, but I just keeping wondering if it's possible to use an e-collar for this situation or should I stick with the long leash?

Jimsue
03-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Yes they work in the water and yes it amplifies it . Be very careful or get an airsoft gun.

Kasomor
03-24-2010, 09:39 AM
E-collars are water proof.

I don't think that the collar is "amplified" in water. I do think when the dog is wet the contact points are better seated against their skin.

One of my dog snaps at the bubbles she creates in the water. She was at the point of being totally fixated and completely psycho about the bubbles. She gets a very well timed low nick when she does so. She is seven years old and it has had it pounded into her not to do this. I don't turn the collar up and fry her because I want her to get in to the water. It's a problem that will never be fixed but I can manage it.

It is pretty easy to create a dog that has water fear/issue with poorly timed corrections that the dog associates with the act of BEING IN the water. Most trainers strive to not correct or not to over correct when dogs are in the water because of this.

Air soft gun...good idea.

My .02

Kasomor

labguy
03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
It's very difficult to give training advise without knowing exactely what your trying to achieve, without knowing or seeing the dog and without knowing what training/conditioning he's had to date.

I'd suggest you solicit the help of someone whose knowlege about training with e collars you trust. If possible, have them go out with you and evaluate the issue your trying to resolve with your dog and suggest possible fixes for that issue.

There are some very knowlegable retriever trainers in the PG retriever club and maybe someone there will be able to help.

PRINCE GEORGE RETRIEVER CLUB
PRESIDENT – Andrew King
24315 Murch Lake Rd, Prince George, BC V2K 5L4 250-967-4244 250-967-4244
andy.king@hotmail.com (andy.king@hotmail.com)
SECRETARY – Dana King
24315 Murch Lake Rd, Prince George, BC V2K 5L4 250-967-4244 250-967-4244
andy.king@hotmail.com (andy.king@hotmail.com)

One thing for certain..............be very careful using the e collar in and around water if your not sure what your doing. You could create a whole other set of issues if the correction is not absolutely black and white to the dog.

Good luck.

Lots'oLabs
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I agree with Labguy.
Do nothing until you understand the response you expect and how to get it.
I approach collar corrections in water very thoughtfully. Last thing you want to happen is for a dog to refuse to go to water because he thinks that thats where bad stuff happens.

The way to avoid this goes back to his basic collar conditioning. If a dog is collar conditioned, he knows why he's getting a nick.

I always turn my collar down a notch for water corrections.

When in doubt about whether or not to collar correct, there is an American Pro trainer whose philosophy is to only collar correct for the following:
Not coming (by either verbal or whistle command)
Not going (on a retrieve when sent)
Not sitting (by either verbal or whistle command)

Training field trial dogs we go beyond this based on our knowledge of our dog and where we are in our training programme, and the amount of pressure they need to understand what you want without breaking them down, but I've often thought at a rudimentary level this was sound advice.

It's all about collar conditioning in early training.

Cheers

garyp
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
My e-collar does not function properly when the dogs are in salt water. I can only assume the charge is going directly to ground. In freshwater, the effectiveness is noticeably reduced. When the dog is on land and wet, the effectiveness is substantially increased.

Kasomor
03-24-2010, 11:19 PM
My e-collar does not function properly when the dogs are in salt water. I can only assume the charge is going directly to ground. In freshwater, the effectiveness is noticeably reduced. When the dog is on land and wet, the effectiveness is substantially increased.

That doesn't sound right. :-?

What brand of e-collar do you have and how old is it?

dutchie
03-25-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't turn the collar up and fry her because....

did.... DID YOU JUST WRITE THAT!!! I remember a Fry that Fu*ker comment someone had that you were a little bewildered by!!!

I think that hell just froze over!

Dutchie

(too fun to tease :D)

03-25-2010, 07:47 AM
did.... DID YOU JUST WRITE THAT!!! I remember a Fry that Fu*ker comment someone had that you were a little bewildered by!!!

Dutchie

I was thinking the exact thing! And yes it did get a bit colder when that post hit.

Kasomor
03-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Dutchie

The "fry the f***er before he runs to Boston Bar" had me laughing. Still does.

I only use the word "fry" among friends. :mrgreen:

Go easy on me guys...got word this a.m. that my pup's dad had to be put down. It's been a while coming but I'm a mess. :cry::cry::cry:

Kasomor
03-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Hey Wiley,

Read this thread on RTF. The OP has a young dog who last week she strapped an ecollar on and it did not go well. Over corrected the dog and the dog turned into a mass of jello. Now she wants to "zap" (her words, not mine) the dog because it's picking up everything she comes across.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52929

For the PC crowd it's a good read too.

Kasomor

digger dogger
03-27-2010, 09:35 AM

I only use the word "fry" among friends. :mrgreen:

Go easy on me guys...got word this a.m. that my pup's dad had to be put down. It's been a while coming but I'm a mess. :cry::cry::cry:

sorry to hear about ur pup's, pop's..
but glad to hear i can make ya laugh..
THE SHOCK DOCTOR. hang in there! :-)

Benelli FanBoy
03-27-2010, 09:53 AM

The exact quote was:
"fry that f***ker before he chases that deer to boston bar"

I was laughing about that line the whole week!

03-27-2010, 10:07 AM
sorry to hear kasomor.
still funny hearing you say "fry"