PDA

View Full Version : Peace/Muskwa or East Kootenay elk hunt?

bushwalker
03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Trying to decide where to do the annual elk hunt this fall. Never hunted in the Kootenays before but have spent quite a few trips in the Peace and up the Muskwa with fair success. Lots of people going up the Muskwa now, pretty busy.
East Kootenay pics I have seen looks like beautiful country.
Anybody have any thoughts on which would be a better area to go where it's not too busy.

hunter1947
03-23-2010, 04:46 AM
The biggest elk population is in the muskwa but you don't get the head gear as big as in the EK ,if it where me and I was after a wall hanger I would be hunting the East Kootenays or the west good luck on your decision..

Fisher-Dude
03-23-2010, 05:54 AM
I've hunted both. For success rates, I'd say the Muskwa gets the nod. Also, there is a better chance at moose and the caribou option is there. For scenery, the EK is the winner. I'd also say the EK has more elk hunters too (4000 ave in 7B vs 6000 ave in 4), which is a result of a larger resident base and proximity to the lower mainland.

Muskwa antler configuration can be a bit strange, but there are still some stompers in the north country if you're looking for a wall hanger. My little 260 class Muskwa 6x5 had 9 1/2 inch bases, so antler mass is there! :shock:

bridger
03-23-2010, 06:37 AM
fisher dude pretty well sums it up about antler size in the peace/ek. how are you hunting? If you have a riverboat and want a big elk 350+ head up the kechika. If you are hunting from a pick up wiith quads try around tumbler ridge not as many but some real bangers.

Devilbear
03-23-2010, 07:04 AM
I think that the best success is in the Peace/Muskwa, but, this is also determined by how well you know a given area. The EK is too crowded, has been for years and major restrictions on quads should be implemented immediately.

Someone mentioned the West Kootenays and the Elk are there, but, again, the relatively few roads crawl with quad-jockies and the terrain is very tough plus it is densely forested. This is an area where severe quad restrictions are needed and knowledge of the quarry and habitat is mandatory for success.

As of yesterday, it looks like we will be heading north this coming season, but, I might well "go home" to Nelson on my own and try a few spots I know where there are some "hawgs". If, you cannot pack heavy loads for long distances, WK Elk hunting may not be for you, it is damm tough going.

bridger
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
busy at times but lots of river to hunt

BromBones
03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
busy at times but lots of river to hunt

You betcha. And if a guy's willing to put some miles on his boots, it doesn't take much to get away from the crowds.

hunter1947
03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Regarding region 7-49 Thanks but no thanks I will take my chances on trying to get a 360 bull elk in the EK or WK :mrgreen:..

proguide66
03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
GO NORTH !.....acres of elk , help save a few sheep and wack some elk!

Coming_out_heavy.
03-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Never hunted the EK but if you want a big bull skip the muskwa and head up the kechika. The muskwa has a fair bit of traffic nowadays but its not that bad really. Its just more than there used to be. The Tuchodi is a gong show as far as traffic goes.

Consider the kechika though if large bulls is what you are after.

bushwalker
03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
fisher dude pretty well sums it up about antler size in the peace/ek. how are you hunting? If you have a riverboat and want a big elk 350+ head up the kechika. If you are hunting from a pick up wiith quads try around tumbler ridge not as many but some real bangers.

Thanks for tha replies, keep em comin. Can hunt with quad or jetboat but prefer to get away from everyone and go on foot. Don't mind packing if it's within a few km's.
I agree with the restrictions on the quads in the heavy areas. It seems you can't go anywhere except up to get away from them.

03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
If you and a buddy or 2 can pack in a few Km's off the Tuchodi, you WILL experience some of the best Bull Elk opportunities in the province. But get OFF the river to get away from the crowd. Granted they are not as big of racks in general as the EK or WK, but the herd is strong, try and hunt the rut and go for at least 10 days, as they will be active then die down and then start roaring again.
I wish I could afford to go every year ! Plus ......... there are some Rams not far away if ya do your home work. Moose and Boo's too.
Try a drop camp with Riverjet , Kevin knows what he's doing.
OH, forgot to mention ..... G bears no matter where you go.
Good luck
CT

ve7iuq
03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
My buddies brother in law has a jet boat and hunts the Muskwa. From what I'm told, there are times now when the hunter and jet boat traffic is pretty 'busy'. Have you found that to be so? It's starting to look like I may have an invite for this year.

Hummer, if you get to go, you will sure be in a connudrum, trying to figure out what rifle to take!
A little birdie just told me it would be the Model 71.

bushwalker
03-23-2010, 09:23 PM
If you and a buddy or 2 can pack in a few Km's off the Tuchodi, you WILL experience some of the best Bull Elk opportunities in the province. But get OFF the river to get away from the crowd. Granted they are not as big of racks in general as the EK or WK, but the herd is strong, try and hunt the rut and go for at least 10 days, as they will be active then die down and then start roaring again.
I wish I could afford to go every year ! Plus ......... there are some Rams not far away if ya do your home work. Moose and Boo's too.
Try a drop camp with Riverjet , Kevin knows what he's doing.
OH, forgot to mention ..... G bears no matter where you go.
Good luck
CT

Been up the tuchodi in the mid 90's and good elk close to the river. Not many people then. Have my own boat to go up with ; I guess I just have to decide which river to go up. Got a few buddies who would love to go if fuel prices stay at a reasonable level. Thanks for the input.

bigben
03-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Just a little heads up for the upcoming season if your going to hunt the east kootenays be prepared to say hi to your neighbours with the new liberal GOS general open season . It is my understanding that elk have a gos on them from sept 20 to 30 plus leh plus we now have a spike season so be prepared to hunt hard and spend sometime in rough terrain to harvest a elk . Also the elk are here but they are tougher to find because of the pressure but they are there good luck

hunter1947
03-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Been up the tuchodi in the mid 90's and good elk close to the river. Not many people then. Have my own boat to go up with ; I guess I just have to decide which river to go up. Got a few buddies who would love to go if fuel prices stay at a reasonable level. Thanks for the input.

If I was going to chose a river to hunt elk it would be the Tuchodi River drainage ,I have been told that there are some good elk hunting at the head of the Tuchodi lake..

bridger
03-25-2010, 07:20 AM
good elk hunting the full length of the tuchodi not just up at the lakes.

leadpillproductions
03-25-2010, 07:53 AM
what size of elk are up the tuchodi antler size, ive heard they dont grow very big up there. Ive never been but would like to go up there.

bridger
03-25-2010, 08:42 AM
a 300+ bull is a big bull on the tuchodi. don't see many over 300 lots of 280/290 bulls. i think we have only taken 3 bulls over 300 in about 10/12 trips.

Devilbear
03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Lucky bugger, WHERE did you FIND that .358NM, been looking for one of those for friggin' YEARS! It is the last medium bore I need and with a .25-06, I will be covered from .257 to .458 in bolt rifles.

Every one I have found is either a scrapheap at 1K+ or in the States.

bridger
03-25-2010, 12:15 PM
a friend of mine has a 358 norma built on a pre 64 model 70 hasn't used it in yearswill ask if he wants to sell it.

elkdom
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
hey there Hummzzeee, that mediocre caliber :? .358 norma Husky of yours I will gladly store for you in MY gun cabinet!:wink:,

BlacktailStalker
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
The Tuchodi isnt the place to go for big bulls.

elkdom
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
hey Hummzzee I was sitting in my pic-up last night about midnight, 5 bull elk walked within 20 yards of me, on their way from heavy bush to a hay field about 500 meters away, the smallest bull was a 3x3, the 2 largest bulls were heavy wide 6x6's , all 5 bulls packin racks on both sides, there was about 30 cows and calves already in the open when I drove in and parked,,:|

I am quite sure most guys wouldnt wanna shoot these 2 6x6 bulls from last night:?, one maybe would be a 340, the other just a bit less length on his upper tines:wink:,

bushwalker
03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
The Tuchodi isnt the place to go for big bulls.

Can you exlpain? Are you just saying the bigger antlers are in other areas or do you think the the whole animal is bigger in other areas.

elkdom
03-25-2010, 08:16 PM
:)You're torturing me. You realise that don't you?:lol:I envy you buddy.

YOU started it, pictures of " uncased desirable rifles :redface: "

maybe we can work something out????:twisted:

let me think ? ? ? ,,,,,,,

ahhh! ,,,,, Model 71 deluxe 348 Win
_____________________ = happy elkdom :)

1 dead 6x6 Bull elk 340 class
_____________________ = happy The Hummer

elkdom
03-25-2010, 08:20 PM
YOU started it, pictures of " uncased desirable rifles :redface: "

maybe we can work something out????:twisted:

let me think ? ? ? ,,,,,,,

ahhh! ,,,,, Model 71 deluxe 348 Win
_____________________ = happy elkdom :)

1 dead 6x6 Bull elk 340 class
_____________________ = happy The Hummer

ps; we have to wait till Sept01,10:mrgreen:

I dont wish to alarm any of "The SAINTS" here on HBC, they may get the wrong idea!:?