PDA

View Full Version : Want to tan my deer hide

bckev
03-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi
I want to try tanning my own deer hide and am wondering if anyone has done it and if they have tips,directions etc. I just want to turn it into leather not for taxidermy.

ratherbefishin
03-15-2006, 09:40 AM
I've done a a couple-my first one was just scraping and salting,nailed on a frame outside to dry,then used as a floor mat.The others were left in a solution of water and wood ash [to losen the hair] then scraped and smoked over a green wood fire, then worked over a log to soften it up[my wife refused to chew it, in good native tradition-her response was clear enough that I won't ask again]
But-its a lot of hard work.
Funny you know, before white people came here-the women did all the work,there was no taxes and the guys went hunting and fishing all the time.We came and ''civilized'' the country-now the guys go to work, only get to go hunting on weekends,and pay income tax.....we call that''progress''!

mtnmax
03-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Does that method go for all hides?
I want to make a rug from a spring bear. A local guy said 300 with a felt back. Is it worth doing yourself?

ratherbefishin
03-15-2006, 11:09 AM
if you want to practice-go for it,but if you get a really nice one, don't risk ruining it-$300 is cheap

Fred
03-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Kev, look in the Yellow pages for leads. IIRC, there used to be a couple of companies in the lower mainland that tanned hides such as Deer, Moose and Elk. The cost varied depending on the size of the hide and the type of tanning wanted. Fred

johnes50
03-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Does that method go for all hides?
I want to make a rug from a spring bear. A local guy said 300 with a felt back. Is it worth doing yourself?

No, cause it would loosen the fur. That method is more for making leather for leatherwork. Plus it's a stinky job and quite a bit of work.

If you can get it done for $300.00 I'd look at pictures of his previous work and if the rugs look OK, I'd go for it.

bckev
03-16-2006, 06:17 PM
I have been looking on the net and have found some kits with a video and chemicals included, has anyone tried any of these. Thanks

Canuck2
03-17-2006, 09:38 PM
bckev, have you contemplated doing a brain tan? I've never done it but there was once a girl living across the road from my farm who used the technique many times, then she made things like moccasins and drums. Hence the hides were soft and without hair. I gave her my deer hides every year.

I just did a quick google search with the words :

tanning deer hides with brains

and numerous articles came up. Try it and see if there's anythiing there that helps. Good luck.

Archive
03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
I did one with 3-4 gallons of pickling vinegar and lots of salt (10lbs at least). Smelly task, I would gladly pay someone else to do a leather for me next time.