PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Go for Early Spring Interior Trout?

Salty
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm needing to head back home to PG in the next while to visit an elderly aunt with failing health. Late May works the best. So... when life feeds you lemons. Make lemonaid. I'm going to take several days on my way back and do some trout fishing, she'll love me for it :-D

So that covers a shit load of ground eh? Vancouver to PG. I'll probably pack a 12 foot tinny on a trailer and camp in one or more spots for 3-4 days. I'll be fly fishing. Areas of intrest so far:

-north east of Williams lake Big Lake - Likely area

-out hwy 20 aways to Hanceville or Tatla area

-the fisherman's hwy - Sheridan area

Advice, ideas or general bsing welcomed......

gamer
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Hwy 24 "The fishing Highway" should be good. Two years ago I went with the wife for May long and lakes were still iced over. This years milder weather should make lakes accesible earlier. Chronomids were getting plenty of action were the water was somewhat open.

frenchbar
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Try Sheridan for a day ..stay at Loon bay resort and fish off the Island just out from the resort good chance at a BIG trout..lots of smaller lks to fish close by ..crystal irish .ect ..ive caught some nice kokannee in Sulphurous lk as well its not far off the beaten track ..

frenchbar
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Dragon at Quesnel is always good that time of yr as well...burgandy mohair leech or big black chronies .

Salty
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
A couple hits for the fishing hwy. lol. not suprised I've heard good things about the area in recent research. But, doesn't it get like stupid busy on Sheridan and some of the other lakes? Or is that more a summer thing?

frenchbar
03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
A couple hits for the fishing hwy. lol. not suprised I've heard good things about the area in recent research. But, doesn't it get like stupid busy on Sheridan and some of the other lakes? Or is that more a summer thing? its not that busy at sheridan..fwif..big lk with quite a few shoals to fish...Dragons busier..

Jonesy
03-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Pioneer on Hwy 24 is great early season.....

Using a float tube or a boat??

Salty
03-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Ya Dragon sounds like a right gong show on the long weekends. Wild how that lakes still produces big fish :-?

I prefer a little piece and quiet though. I've been google earthing hwy 24 area a bazillion little lakes out there :cool:

GoatGuy
03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Fishing is best south of Hope, focus your efforts there. :wink:

Salty
03-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Fishing is best south of Hope, focus your efforts there. :wink:

I have status in central bc, I'll skip the sloughs :tongue:

ruger#1
03-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Mill lake in Abbotsford, Huge gold fish.

KB90
03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Dragon lake may be busy but i don't mind :). I don't have to do any homework, Drive 5 minutes, I hope in my boat, cruise to the mass of 20+ boats, drop anchor just on the outside of them, toss out the chironomid and float, and catch 10-15 beautiful big rainbows in an afternoon/evening.

Another option would be forest lake, monster fish, but when the fishing good it's busy too. How about Fir or Dugan lake, big fish there too.

Salty
03-22-2010, 07:27 PM
You're a lucky guy KB living that close to hog trout :wink: I've heard of forest, I'll look in to those other ones 2. Thanks.

Mooseter
03-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Lakes on Hwy 24 are still frozen. Lac la hache is partly open. may be good for Kok this weekend

ianwuzhere
03-22-2010, 08:14 PM
ya dragon lake is one of the first to be ice off around PG area. It can be busy but is large lake. Want a really busy lake- try forest- counted 54 boats there one weekend last year-much smaller lake than dragon- big fish but lots of pressure.. The Williams lake and 100 mile area have endless lakes to fish!!

todbartell
03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Nulki Lake south of Vhoof. Bring a can of worms and a bobber, world class

Salty
03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I've heard that forest is popular with a lot of our friends from south of the border, or enough to plug the lake up at certain times anyway. ..

Salty
03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Nulki Lake south of Vhoof. Bring a can of worms and a bobber, world class

Pick up your atlas and tell me what that has to do about Prince George to Vancouver you toad. Pay attention ffs. :lol:

todbartell
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Pick up your atlas and tell me what that has to do about Prince George to Vancouver you toad. Pay attention ffs. :lol:

it's worth the detour :mrgreen: you could hit the Blackwater in Quesnel and drive that way if you don't want to go through PG

Salty
03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
it's worth the detour :mrgreen: you could hit the Blackwater in Quesnel and drive that way if you don't want to go through PG

You've got me there. :-? The blackwater was my church back when. Still need to get to Pineview BC somehow too. Maybe i need 2 weeks for this. lol...

Salty
03-24-2010, 04:31 PM
It looks like there's quite a few rustic cabins available in the Sheridan area for reasonable price. I'm starting to think screw camping. lol. ..

ruger#1
03-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Big fish in sheridan, My buddy used to own a two acre point on the south end of the lake. Those Gerards like to eat the baby ducks.

Burger64
03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Big fish yes..But I find it a bit intimidating for the fly guy..Salty knows where to go..wink wink

ruger#1
03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Sinking line is the way to go on that lake. With a twenty to thirty foot leader.

Burger64
03-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Trolling flies behind a boat is like road hunting.LOL

ruger#1
03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Wow I don't have a boat. I like my tube. Feel sorry for you. I catch a lot of big ones that way. And when I do cast I use a 3WT rod.

Salty
03-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna hook my fly rod up to a deep line on my Grady White :mrgreen:

I found a bit of video someplace on the spawning channel on Sheridan that's been cleaned up and fenced to keep the cows out. Frick'n 10 pounders layin in that lil creek all over the place :shock:

GoatGuy
03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Trolling flies behind a boat is like road hunting.LOL
hahahahaha

GoatGuy
03-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm gonna hook my fly rod up to a deep line on my Grady White :mrgreen:

I found a bit of video someplace on the spawning channel on Sheridan that's been cleaned up and fenced to keep the cows out. Frick'n 10 pounders layin in that lil creek all over the place :shock:

all you need is a net.

you'll find fish like that at peterhope as well.

better yet head out to the lardeau.

Salty
03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I am a fly fisher with god like ethics and french canadian snobery. I will not fish spawners. lol

srupp
03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
hmmm fly fishing here for over 3 decades...Kyle has it happenning..

Sherridan..anytime you can...

Forrest STILL has 20 # rainbows plus..and ice comes off fairly eraly...

Dragon also has nice fish..

Dugan for Brook trout to 6 pounds..

Helena ..behind Lac la Hache..

still too early for Owen and fir..

and ELK use a red sided shiner fly..and sight fish em like BIG cohos..

steven

GoatGuy
03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I am a fly fisher with god like ethics and french canadian snobery. I will not fish spawners. lol

The French are not allowed outside of the LM. Sorry

03-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Salty,
I find if you sit up in the fly bridge of the Grady it gives you an advantage over the Tubers and pontooners. You can see the cruzers way out. But i found the electric had to work a bit too hard to get'er moovin'. And when the fishing gets good and people start to get too close just fire up the mains and pull a doughnee! I screws'em right up.

Salty
03-25-2010, 10:08 AM
GG, its all good I am french 'like' but not french. lol

835, I see Rodney Dangerfield in the picture you paint. ha ha

steven - awsome, a couple for the memory banks to ponder for other trips to come - thanks bud :cool:

BigfishCanada
03-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Guys come on, fish Kamloops for sure!!!!!

Ice maybe off within weeks, reserve your luxurious lakefront chalet now!

www.bclakefronts.com (http://www.bclakefronts.com)

http://www.chriscade.ca/redlakesmoke.jpg

GoatGuy
03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
GG, its all good I am french 'like' but not french. lol

steven - awsome, a couple for the memory banks to ponder for other trips to come - thanks bud :cool:
Does that mean you want to be French? There's plenty of room on QC and housing is cheap as well.

03-25-2010, 12:09 PM

Paint? What! Thats a real deal! saw it with my own eyes!
well except it was at little beach in Ucluelet and the pontooners were 14' tin boats.
But the dude did a doughnee with twin 250's
oh ya and there was nothing funny about it.