PDA

View Full Version : Perils of a Sheep Hunter

BCHunterFSJ
03-22-2010, 11:55 AM
All of us have had “close calls” while hunting the mountains we love so much. I recently wrote this article for another hunting forum. I have now revised it and thought you guys might enjoy it as well. Maybe some of you might like to recall some of your own “perils”….

Perils of a Sheep Hunter

When my feet slipped out from under me and I fell that day, I thought it would be just another minor mishap, one of many that I have had during my career as a sheep hunter. It turned out to be, however, a terrifying experience that came very close to ending my life. In the past I have had a life long obsession with hunting alone in some of the wildest places left in North America. However, I no longer hunt solo. One of the reasons just might lie in the story I am about to tell…

I was hunting California bighorn sheep in the south central part of British Columbia, along the Fraser River. This is very rugged, desert – like country very different from the Peace River country where I live in the northeastern part of the province. My wife and I had driven down from Fort St. John to Clinton and then made our way down some unbelievably steep back roads to the Fraser River valley where we set up our camp and prepared for the upcoming hunt – our second one in that area. Of the four varieties of wild sheep found here in British Columbia, I had previously harvested three, but the California bighorns had always eluded me so here I was, pushing sixty, still trying to get one to complete my “B.C. Slam”. This was not a truly “solo” hunt as my wife was going to be relatively close at hand, enjoying the comforts of staying in our camper and venturing out once in a while for some chukar shooting. As is common in sheep hunting, I spent the first few days doing a lot of glassing, but eventually concluded that it was time to put on my Meindl hunting boots and venture down into the steep and rocky hillsides, ravines, and cliffs where I hoped the sheep might be hiding out.

The warm October day started off pleasantly enough. My wife dropped me off and I made my way down some pretty green hillsides until I hit the rim of the canyon. The idea was to slowly make my way along the tops of the river breaks with their near vertical cliffs, glassing into the ravines and between the rock formations and “hoodoos” that lined the bottom of the Fraser River canyon. Because of the rocky, uneven terrain I often couldn’t see all the way down to the river, so decided I needed to go down a ways to get a better look. That was my first mistake! What had looked like pretty easy going soon turned out to be much more rugged than I had thought, and soon I began to regret coming down lower. The steep hillsides here were covered with loose rocks, stones, and pebbles. A fall could easily result in a long slide followed by a vertical drop of fifty or more feet onto the jagged, spear-like boulders and hoodoos at the bottom, and almost certain death.

I got to a point on the hillside where I could not go any further unless I made a jump. It wasn’t much of a jump, nothing that I hadn’t ever done before, and I decided to go for it. Mistake number two! As I landed, my boots hit an area of small stones that acted as ball bearings. My feet immediately slipped out from under me and I fell, twisting so that I was face down. As soon as I hit the ground I started to slide, but dug the toes of my boots into the surface, confident that I would stop my descent. It was not to be… I began accelerating at a great rate of speed, frantically trying to stop. The binoculars that were around my neck were painfully digging into my t-shirt covered chest, and I clung to my rifle with my left hand. The fingers of my right hand, meanwhile, were trying to dig into the rock as I continued to slide, and then to slide even faster. And then all of a sudden, I slowed down and came to a stop. I was going to make it, I thought. At that very instant I began to slide again! Desperation began to set in. I tried to slow my descent by digging my riflescope into the ground. Looking back over my shoulder, I saw that I was only thirty or so feet away from the drop-off that I knew would kill me. At the same time I noticed a somewhat bigger rock sticking out of the ground and coming up fast on my left. I still don’t know how I accomplished this, but as I came by that rock I tossed my rifle up and caught it with my right hand, simultaneously grabbing at the imbedded rock with my left. The rock held! My arm had almost been pulled out of its shoulder socket, but I had miraculously stopped. Carefully, ever so carefully, I started pulling myself sideways over the rock that had saved my life and to safer, more stable ground. Eventually I managed to get to my feet, and still shaking, evaluated my injuries. I was scratched up, bloodied, and covered in dust, but I was going to live… As I stood there I looked over the edge of the cliff and saw that there was no way I could have survived the fall.

I eventually made it back up the steep slopes by following a narrow ridge that led to those grassy hillsides above. Once there, I managed to reach my wife by two way radio and she picked me up on the road and drove me to camp. I sat down on a lawn chair and almost immediately fell into a deep sleep for two hours. The next morning we headed for home. I have not been on a sheep hunt since…

Brett
03-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Great story! well good to read anyway, probably not fun in real life! I've had a couple of similar things happen when I wag a teenager screwing around, but nothing while hunting. Reading this made my heart race and brought me back to those times, Thanks!

BlacktailStalker
03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
You're fortunate to be one of the ones who get to talk about it.
Hopefully you end up with that cali ram yet.

sako_300
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Difficult to tell without photos but it sounds as if you were hunting an area that you wouldn't have recovered an animal in anyways...

That said, good story as it opens the eyes for many of the 'weekend warrior' types (myself included) who venture out on solo hunts.

kennyj
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
That was a great story and a real eye opener for all hunters new and experienced. Its a good reminder that you just can't take unnecessary risks out there.
kenny

budismyhorse
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
never jump in the bush for any reason........sheep hunter or not.

that said, good story and thanks for sharing!

d6dan
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
That was a great story.. I reminded me of hunting Mt Goats in S.E. BC..in my earlier days.

03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
That areas aroung the Frasier in the Cariboo-Chilcotin can be deceiving and certainly treacherous. I have only been truly afraid for my life 2x while hiking. Once was climbing a mesa in New Mexico and the other was on a steep slide along the Frasier at the Junction Sheep Range.

Jagermeister
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
That is definitely a riveting account! Well written!

blackbart
03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
But what about the rifle and scope? Sounds like they may have taken a serious beating.

Glad to hear that you were not hurt. Events can turn for the worse very quickly.

For all those reading please take note of the danger and stick to your quads and pickups - it is very dangerous once out on foot, and should be avoided.

Dirty
03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
This reminds me of an experience I had while sheep hunting. One time I went sheep hunting and I didn't shit for 3 days. You want to talk about life threatening.

frenchbar
03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
This reminds me of an experience I had while sheep hunting. One time I went sheep hunting and I didn't shit for 3 days. You want to talk about life threatening.
Try some bran flakes ...beats the shit out of being bunged up:mrgreen:

bridger
03-22-2010, 10:06 PM
had a similiar experience years ago shooting at a ram. I got excited and sat down on a really steep scree slide and after shooting the ram I started sliding down the hill towards a drop off. I shoved the barrel of my 25/06 into the shale and stopped myself in time. Not a great feeling and have been extremely careful since then.

358mag
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Old timer once told me your not hunting sheep till your shitting like a sheep

BromBones
03-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Had a similar experience hunting goats in Reg. 6 in late October. I was working my way across a timbered ridge to get into the next basin, when I slipped on the wet ground and went for a tumble down a steep chute. After about 40 or 50 feet of scrambling trying to get slowed down, I smacked chest first into a tree - that slowed me down!:-D I crawled back up top after getting my wind back, and figured I had broken or separated some ribs as I could not stand straight up with my pack on with the sharp pains in my chest.

I worked my way back to my last camp where there was some water and spent the night - a handful of ibuprofen helped me fall asleep. Next morning I was stiff and sore, and the left side of my chest hurt like hell. Made up my mind that there was no way I was packing a goat off the mountain in my condition, so my hunt ended right then and I lit out. Had to line my pack down the mountain as it eventually got to where I couldn't carry it anymore. Made it back safely and after a trip to the doc he told me I had suffered separated ribs and 2 were cracked.

Thinking about that one now, if I had been seriously hurt I would have been up shit creek as I had left for that hunt on a whim, and being a macho man who is bulletproof, I hadn't told anyone I was going :-? Oh well, lesson learned.

bogtrotter
03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
BCHunter,

Your story is a great description of the terror that waits for us all in the woods. Most of the time we are plodding along - two feet on the ground - and then we decide to "go for it" and all hell breaks loose. May be because we are wearing ten lbs. of clothing plus carrying a rifle, ammo etc. As the old sargent on "Hill Street Blues " used to say "Be careful out there"

Mik
03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Great Story and well written, its like I was there.Glad to hear you made it.

16ga
11-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Good stories and good reminders. Glad you made it and shared your story.

lovemywinchester
11-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Wow, i puckered up after that story. I have spent a lot of time in the Lillooet,Thompson,Bridge river area in the last few years. Gold panning and fishing. ANY slope in those areas is sketchy. Especially in the summer when its 35 and dry.Get out of the truck to take a leak and you can slide to the bottom of the ditch instantly. Constant scree and pebbles falling on the roads. One thing I have learned from this area and lots of hiking around Whistler is its always easier to hike uphill. Any slope I need to go down I am not sure of I climb down backwards facing uphill and get ready to grab something if I start to slide, usually a prickle bush or cactus up there. Scary story.

moose2
11-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Great story it sure shows how quick things can go wrong. I do lots of solo hunts and don't worry to much, but I know how quick things turn bad. One time I was out with a buddy on a flat ground hunt for elk. We were able to get the quad to the two elk we got. I had just quartered the cow and we loaded it. Then I went to work on the bull. So I finished quartering the bull on the ground with the chain saw , I just went through the bone and the hide was still attached. So I kneeled down to finish the job with the knife. The knife slipped and I burried it deep into my knee We were able to stop the bleeding but the other damage left my leg useless. Had I been in the mountains on my own that day I don't think I would have made it out unless I crawled out. So something I had done on many occasions went wrong that day. I still hunt on my own but I tend to be a bit more carefull in some situations. I knew then I wasn't bullet proof. So I keep that in my mind a bit more now.
Mike

Twobucks
11-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Good piece BCHunterFSJ - I got that sickening feeling in my stomach as you described the uncontrolled slide above the cliff bands. Nasty! (in a good way).

Sometimes we get lucky out there when we have no business getting lucky. The key is to learn from it.

I've only done a very little sheep hunting, but I've climbed a lot of mountains in all kinds of weather. What makes sheep hunting in the really steep places dangerous is your divided focus. A hunter is looking for a sheep and routefinding, but a climber is only looking for the safest route.

Like driving a heavy truck, you have to look ahead and anticipate the terrain. Being aware of how solid the scree or talus is, and of objective hazards such as rock and ice fall. If you're mind is not out in front of the terrain you're standing in, you're exposing yourself to an unreasonable level of danger.

It takes a lot of days in semi-technical to technical terrain (4th class and up) to develop good mountain sense. Safe route finding choices are critical to moving efficiently and safely in the mountains.

Lots of stuff out there on steep terrain safety from the Canadian Alpine Journal to Rock and Ice and Climbing magazines. Check out the article on Self Arrest at Gripped magazine - it was at the bottom of the page when I posted this:

http://gripped.com/

Hunters can just substitute "riflescope" for "ice axe";)

safarichris
11-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Since I have lived in Clinton most all my life, I am aware of the area you were hunting. When I had the area several years ago, the RCMP asked me to go into the area and locate three hunters missing during a very bad snow storm. They were caught in the same area you were in, but had a foot of snow and blizzard to contend with. They built a lean too and stayed put which probably saved their lives. They were very happy to see us.

bigneily
11-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Although i wasn't hunting sheep my story was in the mountains none the less, about seven years ago i was helping a friend bring some young hounds down off a mt near ft steel. They were on a run after a cat wich took them up the mt, well the cat gave them the shake and they were too scared to come down on their own, so up we went. Well to make a long story short i slipped near the edge of a cliff while on my way down with the dog's, off the edge we went my friend figured we dropped about 40 ft. Hurt like hell but i could move my arms and legs so i figured it was all good. I was able to walk to the truck with help, smelling shit the whole way. Went too the hospital for x-rays, 3 broken vertabrae in my back a nasty cut on my arm requiring stitches. Turns out i shit myself , doc told me its normal when your spine takes a shock such as this your whole body functions relax and bam gonch full of shit. Spent a week in the hospital ,then wore a prosthetic brace for 8 months with lots of physio. Gets pretty sore somedays, but i try not to let it slow me down, i just take a little longer to put on my socks in the morning:mrgreen:.