PDA

View Full Version : 10x43 vs. 10x52 Bino's

pupper
03-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Hello there folks, I am in the market for a new pair of Bino's

I think I have settled on the Minox HG's either the 10x43 or 10x52.

I just want some insight from you experts on this site of what to choose.

Is the: smaller field of view by 17' and 6oz of weight worth the extra light transmission?

52mm-27 relative brightness, twilight factor-22.8
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62161

43mm-18.5 relative brightness, twilight factor-20.7
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62157

so what is if folks? what should I go for? the price diff is only $20 bucks so that does not factor into it.

Poguebilt
03-22-2010, 11:19 AM
for my eyes i'd go the bigger 52mm...

Steeleco
03-22-2010, 01:53 PM
You can have too muck light!! As we age we're not able to process all the light given to us by our pupil.
They're quality glass so I'd be going with the 10x43's If the animal in question can't be judged with them, it's gets a pass!!!

Q.
What does exit pupil tell you about a binocular?A.
Exit pupil is a very rough guide to image brightness. Binoculars with large exit pupils provide brighter images under very low light conditions. For normal daylight viewing, an exit pupil of 2.5 or 3 is fine. For astronomy, an exit pupil of 5-7mm is preferred. An exit pupil larger than 7 is a waste of light since the human eye cannot open wide enough to accept an exit pupil larger than this. Exit pupil should not be taken too literally, since it treats all binoculars, regardless of lens coatings and optical quality as if they are the same. A+ large exit pupil does have other uses, however. A large exit pupil is easier to keep centered on the eye and this is an advantage when it is difficult to hold a binocular steady, as on the deck of a moving boat. That's why a 7x50 with an exit pupil of 7+ has always been the traditional marine binocular.
Q.
What is relative brightness (RE)?A.
Relative brightness, like exit pupil, is a rough guide to image brightness. It is simply exit pupil squared, so a binocular with an exit pupil of 5mm will have an RE of 25. As with exit pupil, relative brightness should not be taken too literally, since it treats all binoculars, regardless of lens coatings and optical quality as if they are the same. In actual tests, some premium grade compacts with a low relative brightness are actually brighter than some full size binoculars.
Q.
What is twilight factor?A.
This is a mathematical formula that predicts the mount of detail that can be seen in low light. Twilight factor is the square root of magnification times objective. A 10x40 will have a twilight factor of 20 (square root of 10x40). As with exit pupil and relative brightness, twilight factor should not be taken too literally, since it treats all binoculars, regardless of lens coatings and optical quality as if they are the same. No $50 binocular will ever equal a premium grade binocular (http://www.opticsplanet.net/binoculars.html) for low light detail, even though they both have the same exit pupil.

MidnightRun
03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I've got those very bino's in 8.5x52, you wont be giving anything up by going to the 52's over the 43's. These binos are quite compact given the objective lense size, in fact they are smaller than my previous Nikon action extreme 8x40. I'm sure you'll be happy with either decision. Check out this review, it'll illustrate the benefits. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/8x42.html

Mr. Friendly
03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
my primary concern would be weight. the larger diameter glass and prisms inside the barrel's would make them heavier then the 42's. if you're truckin the bino's around most of the time, it's probably a moot point, but if you're going to be carrying them any distance or for any duration, every oz. counts.

being a binocular astronomer by nature (nothing like stereovision of the skies baby!) I've learned quickly how much heavy binoculars suck when you're even just holding them upright for a short period of time.