PDA

View Full Version : prawn trap hauler reviews

dryflyguy57
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Was looking at buying a hauler . I am considering an Endurance or the Ace . Does anyone have any pro's or con's with these makes or any other one that you feel like sharing . Appreciate any info .

Johnnybear
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Well even though we butted heads (no pun intended) on the halibut quota thing last year:mrgreen: I'll point out a couple that IMO are better than the ACE.

These guys out of Washington make a great puller. Both electric and gas. Many different configurations and mounting options. Salty on here has one of the gas drive models. I have only seen them at shows down south.

https://www.ezpull.net/ezpull/store/comersus_listCategories.asp

Another good one

http://www.safe-t-puller.com/index.htm

They look like a mini commercial style puller. Overhead design which is nice for bringing your traps up to waist height for bringing into the boat.

Anyways just a couple of food for thought idea's.
Regards,
Jb

22savage
03-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Have used the ace line hauler for 3 years now ,reliable hauler with excellent customer service on an island built product. 250-753- 7179 nanaimo

plumbcrazy
03-22-2010, 07:28 PM
a windsheild wipper motor and some basic welding, and a pulley will save a lot of money!!

Salty
03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
These guys out of Washington make a great puller. Both electric and gas. Many different configurations and mounting options. Salty on here has one of the gas drive models. I have only seen them at shows down south.

https://www.ezpull.net/ezpull/store/comersus_listCategories.asp

Jb

Like Jb says we bought a 4hp honda gas one from these guys ^^ and have used it crazy hard. Recommended. if you have a fairly big boat and a place to mount it. I see the prices are lower than they were a couple years back..

deerstocker
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
i have the robinson retreiver its great

7mag700
03-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I used an Ace Line Hauler when I lived on the Island. I can testify to the service (my friends father builds them) and I liked that they're simple, compact, and they work well.

My old boss built a capstan style on a winch with a foot switch that was pretty awesome, but I found it was almost too fast. Plus I never minded putting a little manual labour into a good haul of prawns :-D

Anybody tried the Winchelsea Group lately? Best haul I ever got was there, in about 140' if I remember correctly.

7m7

dryflyguy57
03-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks everybody for the leads as there is a couple of haulers I did not hear about before . Johnnybear the safe-t-puller looks like a good unit and yes I remember us butting heads on the hali allocation , I did hear that the issue has got the attention of the new minister so you never know what may happen in the future . Once again I appreciate the ideas from all of you . Its good to everyone out there doing it instead of talking about it .
Regards

chinook
04-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I have an ACE and its fine but for the price, I would consider switching to gas operated. I used a buddies gas operated home brew jobbie a couple of years back and that things would have pulled JC from the cross. It was unstoppable and incredibly fast!! It was a 2-stroke Stihl hand drill rigged up for prawning.