PDA

View Full Version : Draw length: round up or down?

kebes
03-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Starting to explore getting into doing some bowhunting. Found lots of useful information in some of the threads on here but there was one thing that I'm still wondering about. I did the whole 'wing span divided by 2.5' and got 28.8. Is it better to round up to 29 or down to 28.5 or possibly 28 with a half inch loop? Thanks.

rocket
03-21-2010, 08:32 PM
for hunting i round down in your case 28, there are lots of choices when it comes to shooting a loop or no loop. The longer your draw the faster the arrow speed(everything else equal) Most archers actually shoot a bow to long. My advice is to try both find what works hence will make you confindent when that trophy animal walks out. my calculated draw is 31.5(i should be able to fly:mrgreen:) i shoot 29.5 and a loop to give me pretty close to 30.

Bow Walker
03-21-2010, 09:28 PM
"Wingspan divides by 2.5" just gets you in the ball park. To find your "seat" you've got to be properly fitted. Your draw length should fit you like this...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Keepemsharp_WristReleaseForm_1_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4105&ppuser=529)

See how the nock-end and the string angle are right below his eye? If your's is like that (get someone to check for you) then you're good to go.

Oh, by the way, your body must be upright - not leaning backwards at all.

That would be a sign of a draw length that was too long.

shark
03-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Better to be a little short than a little to long...Never mind what the women say.:-D

Ron.C
03-24-2010, 06:06 PM
For me, I shoot my bow shorter then I could probably get away with, but that's where it feels right for me. Sure I give up a bit of speed, but to me comfort and consistency is more important then a few FPS. If you can shoot it with good consistent form with a little longer draw length, try it. Once again, it's what feels and shoots best for you.
Speaking from a compound bow perspective, I Agree with what Bow Walker said, some of these draw length methods are good for a ballpark idea. Your best off to go to an archery shop and draw several bows in your rough draw length. Most bows are able to adjust draw length a bit one way or another, some offer alot of adjustment, something worth considering when purchasing your first bow.

And you'll find some bows just feel better to you then others ie, different grips, let off, draw weight, bow weight and the list goes on and and on. It's a very personal choice. Kind of like buying a pair of $600-$1000 boots in your size without tring them on first because your friend said they are the right ones for you.:wink: