PDA

View Full Version : Spring bear in chilliwack area?

Jimr
03-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey guys , Iam going out this year for my first bear and iam just wondering if there is any areas around chilliwack area that may hold some black bears, I am also not asking for honey holes just some general directions to some fsr roads as i dont know of any or even where to begin.(Not from b.c. Originally). Any tips and ideas are appreciated.
Not asking "where do you go". Just asking if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Jim.

bigwhiteys
03-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Jim,

For black bears you will likely get many places to go from members on here. In BC black bears are abundandant and under hunted so spots are plentiful.

Find an FSR with some few year old clear cuts and lots of re-seeded/re-countoured roads and get out there. I have no idea what the snow situation is like in that area, but where I am at on the island we pretty much missed winter this year. It will be interesting to see when the action starts this year.

Carl

Jimr
03-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey thanks for the reply. I dont even know where to start to find the fsr roads in chilliwack, i guess i could get a backroads map and figure it out .
Or if anyone is intrested iN taking to newbys to a spot for a first bear, do not have a Hunting partner as of yet, But we'll figure it out . Thanks again

Jim

Poguebilt
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
take a bit of a drive up to boston bar... Anderson main fsr is a good place to start... Harrison Lake are is also good...

LOC
03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Like Pogue said, Boston Bar isn't really that far away and there is all sorts of good country out there.

You'll also have less dirt bikers to dodge :)

tim3500
03-20-2010, 01:50 PM
X3 the area is infested with weekend wariors and the no shooting areas towards the lake dont give you much chance but they are there stay on the hwy go up the canyon to B/B or go to Squamish or Pemperton would be my go to and I live in the Wack

curt
03-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Foley creek Thurston mtn area you should have no problem google the area take a quad if you can bears are plentiful as you will see by the amount of scat around. Good luck

Slime green cat
03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
There are plenty of bears in and around Chilliwack, but finding them isn't always easy .
You would be much better off driving 1 hr east ..... Boston Bar like other have suggested, or head up route 5 to the Coquihalla summit . Any road up there in any direction will find you some bears .

Good luck :)

stixnstones
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
sorry boys n girls mtn thurston is washed out really bad. no trucks or quads wood make it up there on there best days.

bruin
03-21-2010, 05:07 PM
sorry boys n girls mtn thurston is washed out really bad. no trucks or quads wood make it up there on there best days.

That's why its good hunting.

snareman1234
03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Stix when were you up ther last?

Dirty
03-21-2010, 09:04 PM
In Mission, you would almost be better off to head to Chehalis or Harrison areas. I think they would be closer than heading to Chilliwack, and would give you more areas to check out. I hear of many hunters having good success in Harrison every year.

Slime green cat
03-21-2010, 09:21 PM

I think it depends who is driving :twisted:
I would think its still snowed in as of right now, but I know guys that had their quads up to the lookout late last year when the snow had just started . The road was washed out bad then too, but was doable on a quad . In a truck might be a different story ?

ElectricDyck
03-21-2010, 09:21 PM
In Mission, you would almost be better off to head to Chehalis or Harrison areas. I think they would be closer than heading to Chilliwack, and would give you more areas to check out. I hear of many hunters having good success in Harrison every year.

I've seen quite a few bears up west Harrison and only a few up Chilliwack. If you are like me and you enjoy a tasty bear stay away from the north end of the lake as first nations has an open dump where the bears eat pampers and tampons. In the fall there is lots of salmon to munch on too, I guess that goes for chilliwack as well though.

Bobby Jr
03-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Sorry...but my intent isn't on hijacking this thread. This is my first year hunting (just got my PAL/CORE/Rifle). I plan on doing some black bear hunting while scoping out new areas. As I am quite new to this and new to hunting in general, is ther any good resources out there in terms of books or websites that have good info on general tactics for bear hunting? I've done a little searching and only come up with Black Bear hunting guides. I have a friend who said he'd take me out, but he's quite busy and probably won't be able to get out as much as I'd like. Any info would be great...from tracking to gutting/skinning. I know its a very broad set of questions, I've read quite a bit about gutting deer and seen many videos, is bear essentially the same?

Thanks in advance.

ElectricDyck
03-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Try searching this forum, more info than you probably want to read.

BiG Boar
03-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I would head to the island if you were serious about getting a bear hunt on. Buy a Backroads map book and find the freshest greenest grass. They'll be there.

elkhunter1
03-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Like Pogue said, Boston Bar isn't really that far away and there is all sorts of good country out there.

You'll also have less dirt bikers to dodge :)

Yes But there is a hunting club I think Greek ?? that go up there every week end so You will be competing with 30 guy,s lot,s Quads and 4x4 ,s pounding
the FSR,s.
Try around Hope lot,s Black Bear,s.

MichelD
03-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Do a search on black bear hunting on this forum Bobby. It's been discussed many times. Here's a hint:

1. Find the grass

2. Find the droppings

3. Find the bears.

Oh yeah, bonus hint #4. Scan logging slashes for black stumps that move.

Ddog
03-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Hope is a good place,,just drive towards Skagit down the main towards the lake, many different FSR branches to take, lots of bears in there. You would have no problems getting one there.

Dirty
03-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Another thing to consider. If you find nice grass, and tonnes of fresh looking shit in the immediate vicinity and nearby areas/roads there is/are bear(s) frequenting this immediate area. Fresh shit will be dark black and not dried out. If it looks like there is a grease stain underneath it, it is really fresh. Setup at a vantage point and wait a few hours before dark. If you are too scared or lack motivation to walk, you can just repeatedly drive a circuit of the same roads.

MichelD
03-23-2010, 09:26 AM
elhunter1, I've never heard of a hunting club that makes a trip every week up that way, but I've never hunted bears there either.

I really don't understand giant gong-show mechanized hunting camps, but that's just me I guess. I prefer to be on my own or with one partner.

I've heard first-hand that the Skagit gets pretty darn busy too.

gutpile
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Be for warned there are alot of ticks in tickvil the skagit i had to go to the emergence one year to get them removed.

Bobby Jr
03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Do a search on black bear hunting on this forum Bobby. It's been discussed many times. Here's a hint:

1. Find the grass

2. Find the droppings

3. Find the bears.

Oh yeah, bonus hint #4. Scan logging slashes for black stumps that move.

Hehe, thats funny because thats pretty much what everyone else has told me.

I've ordered some new boots, so I figure I'll just find a good place and start hiking.

I did a little searching around last night and found a thread about gutting/skinning black bears. It seems that its best not to gut the bear and just skin it/quarter it. But then again, its probably a personal preference thing, and situation probably dictates as well.

300win
03-23-2010, 01:32 PM
take a bit of a drive up to boston bar... Anderson main fsr is a good place to start... Harrison Lake are is also good...

X2, The Nahatlach Valley just out of boston bar, and the east end of harrison lake!!!! Look for 2 yr. old clear cuts. Just a reminder to check on the snow pack for the area before you head out,and scan evey black stump regardless if you think its not a bear??? Good luck!!!