PDA

View Full Version : Which one is the Whitetail?

Gateholio
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
PICTURE #1

http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/data/media/1/mule-deer-doe-with-fawn_7207.jpg

Picture #2

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/IMAGES/Illinois/whitetail_deer_lg.jpg

ufishifish2
03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
You are quite the trickster Gate. Only showin us 1 does tail.

Gateholio
03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
You are quite the trickster Gate. Only showing us 1 does tail.

I just googled the pics and picked randomly. You won't be able to see a tail every time, but you shouldn't need to have to see a tail, really.:-D

Bear Chaser
03-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Besides the ear size on the doe in pic one the fawn shown is clearly not a whitetail.

03-19-2010, 04:51 PM
You are quite the trickster Gate. Only showin us 1 does tail.

Really,,,, if you need to see the tail you fall into the catagory HW was talking about. There is so much difference in size, coloration, ears, gait, body english, etc, that a quick glance should be all that's required.

Chuck
03-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I have to say that they're BOTH whitetails, just from the face.

ruger#1
03-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Bottom one has a face of a blacktail.

.330 Dakota
03-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Looks like theyre all Whitetails

hunter1947
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Thats a no brainer #2..

d6dan
03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Way to go Gatehouse!!!:shock:.Whats this?? Both pics are of Whitetails.:tongue:. 1st pic is summer coat and 2nd is winter coat..:rolleyes:

BimmerBob
03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I voted for Pic#2 because I couldn't pick both a(nd when I look at the ears in Pic#1 they sort of look mulie to me but then again...) but I am sure Gatehouse would not have put up a trick question...:mrgreen:

And... I even checked the voting PRIOR to picking the pic! Now really Gatehouse, should you actually vote on your own pole question? Were you trying to trick us or what? :mrgreen::-D

03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
That spotted one sure would be tender.

CT

ianwuzhere
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
the fawn has a clear white tail
second pic fo sho

landphil
03-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Pics #2 = Whitetail or hybrid, and I can't positively ID the one in Pic # 1, but it certainly doesn't look like a mulie -at least in that pic - maybe a blacktail, maybe a whitetail, or farmed fallow deer? The location of the deer would help, but at this point I'm not shooting for 3 reasons: No season, no positive ID, and very obviously, a doe with a fawn - and in the spring.:wink:

BuriedByTheDead
03-19-2010, 08:57 PM
top ones got whitey ears bottom looks liek a blacktail just by the black rim around the ears so i picked #1

moosinaround
03-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Simple if yer hunting. Wait till you can tell 100% if it is a legal critter. If you cannot tell by the looks of the face or ears, then wait till it turns so you can see it's tail!! Specially if there is only a season open for one or the other!! Just plain ole ethics, simple!!! Moosin

dougan
03-19-2010, 09:04 PM
#1 is a blackie

tracker
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Really,,,, if you need to see the tail you fall into the catagory HW was talking about. There is so much difference in size, coloration, ears, gait, body english, etc, that a quick glance should be all that's required.

I have now heard it all ..Quick glance hey!!!

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I can't believe these two pics would even cause a debate among "experienced" hunters that presumably have passed their CORE courses. :?

Gateholio
03-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, apparently more than anticipated got the question correct:-D

"Huh" is what I said too after I showed several whitetail deer doe and mule deer doe pictures to about 200 BC hunters. Only 25.6% got it right.

About a year ago on this forum someone (forgot the name) did the same a small minority could tell the difference between a whitetail doe and mule deer doe.

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I have now heard it all ..Quick glance hey!!!

When you become an old ba$tard like me and 6616, that's all it takes. :wink:

NaStY
03-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Its my understanding that animal identification should also include the tail section.

If you shoot a buck with mule deer configuration on the antlers and the tail id from a whitetail. Then that is what you have, a whitetail.

Caribou_lou
03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
How about one a little more challenging gatehouse.

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Its my understanding that animal identification should also include the tail section.

If you shoot a buck with mule deer configuration on the antlers and the tail id from a whitetail. Then that is what you have, a whitetail.

If you can't tell from the facial shape and colouration, colour of inner legs, and ear size and shape, you should go back and take CORE again. Antlers shouldn't be relied on, and don't help when it's a doe lookin' at you. :wink:

03-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Well, apparently more than anticipated got the question correct:-D

When you become an old ba$tard like me and 6616, that's all it takes. :wink:

Yah but 6% still got it wrong,,, HW was closer than I'd ever have believed.

To those 6%, not making fun of you, but be sure to see the tail before you shoot. I realize many people from the LML or VI who may never have hunted in the Interior may not have seen many WTs in their days or interior mulies either for that matter,,, just like I'm not very familiar with Columbian Blacktails.

Bottom line, be sure before you shoot.

And really, "at a glance" is not a joke, it's pretty much automatic for those who live where both species co-exist and see them both on a daily basis,,,, and as I said above, I realize that's not everybody.

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Here, try these ones on for size:

a.)

http://www.dongettyphoto.com/tetons/images/Mule-Deer-2-Doe.jpg

b.)

http://friendsofscience.org/assets/images/Gallery/mule-64390011.jpg

Gateholio
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Less than 6%...I voted incorrectly just to mix things up.:mrgreen:

FD, those are both mule deer

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2010, 10:19 PM

Party pooper! :mrgreen:

03-19-2010, 10:19 PM

FD, this thread is about deer, and you go posting pictures of Dumbo the Flying Elephant.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-20-2010, 11:31 AM
In my exp ... Mulie does for the most part seem to have a longer scrawnier neck than their Whitey Counterparts , their movements are differant ....
the color of their coat you cant reley upon ... as it differs from area to area. when in doubt dont shoot ....

here is a story that happend to myself and 2 buddies while out triing to fill whitey doe tags in central AB about 10 years ago

we all had WT doe tags ... came across a group of 6 or 7 does ... got out of our truck ... lined up with rifles ..called the one that we would shoot ..the count down was on(3 shooters at once ) ... the color looked like whiteys, the ears looked like whiteys .... I caught a glimpse of a butt ... it was Muley Butt and called the whole thing off .... All of us were sure those were Whitetails untill the butt flashed ...needless to say we were all pretty rattled after that ...

Ozone
03-20-2010, 12:03 PM
For those that think #1 is a whitetail, go to google images and type in muledeer doe and see what shows up.

Gateholio
03-20-2010, 12:34 PM
For those that think #1 is a whitetail, go to google images and type in muledeer doe and see what shows up.

that is all I did for the poll:-D

Shooter
03-20-2010, 01:41 PM
that is all I did for the poll:-D

What?!?! Those aren't your pictures?! I am assuming you have prior written consent to use them? lol:wink::wink::mrgreen:

Gateholio
03-20-2010, 01:45 PM
What?!?! Those aren't your pictures?! I am assuming you have prior written consent to use them? lol:wink::wink::mrgreen:

Nope, but if the owner complains, I will remove them immediately and apologize.:-D

curt
03-20-2010, 02:16 PM
i would say deer#1 the ears are much bigger than a whitetail ears typically are

they are called muley for a reason ears like a mule

Fisher-Dude
03-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I see bayou hasn't voted. I guess he doesn't agree with the poll question again. :lol:

03-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Here's a newborn, which one is it?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Photo_5.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18614&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=3468)

d6dan
03-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Here's a newborn, which one is it?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Photo_5.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18614&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=3468)

Elk calf...:mrgreen:

bruin
03-20-2010, 05:15 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/baby-animals/mammals/gallery/mule-deer.jpg

This one says its a muley female and fawn!

bruin
03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
http://tringa.org/mammal_pictures/Mule_Deer_10-21-2007.jpg

ufishifish2
03-20-2010, 07:11 PM
I just googled the pics and picked randomly. You won't be able to see a tail every time, but you shouldn't need to have to see a tail, really.:-D

I was being sarcastic, sorry, sometimes I forget that emotions don't necessarily transfer thru on the net very well. By the way, 6616, never knew that deer have "Body English"! Does that mean that a deer's body language in Quebec would be "Body French"?? :twisted:

Gateholio
03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
bruin, that's also a mule deer doe....Anyone that is unsure of what it is should NOT shoot.

Fisher-Dude
03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
http://www.dcwild.com/images/Mammals/White-Tailed-Deer-2.jpg

Jelvis
03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
whitetails have light rings around the eyes mules don't..

Fisher-Dude
03-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Don't shoot based on whiteness near the eyes if you are unsure of the rest of the indicators. Mule deer often have lighter hair around their eyes.

http://faculty.ucr.edu/~chappell/INW/mammals/muledeerdoe1.jpg

Bear Chaser
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
I always look at the metatarsal glands. That's the easiest when I am in a hurry.

huntwriter
03-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Yah but 6% still got it wrong,,, HW was closer than I'd ever have believed.

I believe that it is also safe to assume that the members on the HBC forum do not represent the majority hunters, which are, what I call, weekend warriors. When I did the survey I puposly showed the pictures to hunters on the street (outdoor sporting goods stores) and not here on the forum or my blogs.

Personally as a whitetail deer hunter I wouldn't mind if these deer grow in population. As a conservationist on the other hand I welcome the special whitetail deer doe season in region 3. However, my worry (shared by our local CO's) has always been that maybe MORE mule deer does are killed then whitetails. Some may make an honest ID mistake while others simply don't care what doe they kill and with the serious shortage on CO's and hopeless underfunding who's going to check that anyway. Most hunters know that the chance of being caught are very slim to none.

madrona sh
03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
It is really easy to tell what kind of doe it is here on the Island.

03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
I think it's safe to suggest that identifying a doe by a still shot has some disadvantages. In the field they are moving and present different angles and body views. Also they usually are in groups, at least one of which may present a view that makes identification easier. I don't really believe that there will be an accidental mule deer doe harvest in a white tailed doe season that will be large enough to create a conservation concern. Most hunters that live in mulie/whitey overlap ranges don't have any trouble at all with identification.

littlebilly
03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
wow, is all i can say...... should be quite easy to tell them apart. Makes me woder how many does are shot in LEH of the wrong species? Of course, when the deer are in their natural habitat, there are situations when you really have to observe. Color, ears, movement, tail, antlers, etc. In my expereience you can't rely on on antlers alone. What if the deer is a spike? What if the antler configuration resembles either species? DON'T shoot if you're not sure of your TARGET. Similar to the whole black bear, grizz argument too. Imagine what a mess it would be if there was a season on only specific grouse, say ruffed, or spruce only.....
Just my 2 cents......

proguide66
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
They arent blacktails...WHO CARES !!!..:tongue::tongue:

Heard a 'story' on the island years ago about some dude who brought in a new "world record deer" from cowichan to the fish & game and it was a roosevelt...:shock:

hunter1947
03-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Regarding whitetail mule deer does ,I agree with a few members that have said don't shoot unless your 100% sure..

7mag700
03-22-2010, 09:06 AM
It seems to me that coloration is a lot easier to tell in person than it is on these pics too.

7m7

pete_k
03-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Easy..WT taste better :)

Marlin375
03-22-2010, 10:05 AM
It seems to me that coloration is a lot easier to tell in person than it is on these pics too.

7m7

Add to that, the fact that the Muley is pictured in the spring when they shed/molt (almost bald) and red with new gaurd hair growing in. The Whitey is pictured in winter with it's thick coat....neither one of them is the same colour all year long.

03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
If we shouldn't have a WTD doe GOS because some MD does might get accidentally shot, then it follows we shouldn't have a LEH either, the same reasoning would apply. LEH hunters probably aren't any smarter then GOS hunters in general.

If we shut down all seasons where there is a risk of a newbie shooting the wrong animal or of some unethical hunters abusing the regulations, then we probably wouldn't have many seasons left.